why not two lists ?

Cyprien Gay

Hi,

I am new to Lilypond, and eager to get hands on it !
I do choir practice / sometimes directing.
I've been using LaTeX for many years (research in physics).
As for OSes, I haven't used Windows for about three years.

Just a quick question :
I've been listening to this list for a few weeks
and noticed that threads on installation
and threads on writing music are totally mixed.
Would it not be useful to have two different lists ?
(just a suggestion).

Cyprien.

PS. I tried installing Lily on Mandriva 2005 recently
and failed, but I was too busy then to ask for help here.
This time I want to try it on Ubuntu (Breezy),
so I'll join a thread on this topic.

--
Cyprien Gay.

Qu'est-ce qu'un adhésif ?
http://www.crpp-bordeaux.cnrs.fr/~cgay/adhesion.html
http://www.crpp-bordeaux.cnrs.fr/ext/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=8

Testez votre navigateur et votre dextérité à la souris
http://logiciellibre.free.fr/construction.html

Re: why not two lists ?

Trevor Bača-2
On 11/13/05, Cyprien Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Lilypond, and eager to get hands on it !
> I do choir practice / sometimes directing.
> I've been using LaTeX for many years (research in physics).
> As for OSes, I haven't used Windows for about three years.
>
> Just a quick question :
> I've been listening to this list for a few weeks
> and noticed that threads on installation
> and threads on writing music are totally mixed.
> Would it not be useful to have two different lists ?
> (just a suggestion).
I couldn't agree more.

When you're first getting started with Lily, you *really* need the
install parts of the list; after that, OS- and install-related
messages are (thankfully) almost never a part of actually writing
music with the program.

--
Trevor Bača

Re: why not two lists ?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Trevor Bača wrote:
>>Just a quick question :
>>I've been listening to this list for a few weeks
>>and noticed that threads on installation
>>and threads on writing music are totally mixed.
>>Would it not be useful to have two different lists ?
>>(just a suggestion).
>

> I couldn't agree more.

There's little incentive for seasoned users to subscribe to such a list.
  I fear that the installation list wouldn't have enough people with
enough knowledge to help.

Re: why not two lists ?

Cyprien Gay
Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :

> Trevor Bača wrote:
>
>>> Just a quick question :
>>> I've been listening to this list for a few weeks
>>> and noticed that threads on installation
>>> and threads on writing music are totally mixed.
>>> Would it not be useful to have two different lists ?
>>> (just a suggestion).
>>

>> I couldn't agree more.
>

> There's little incentive for seasoned users to subscribe to such a list.
>  I fear that the installation list wouldn't have enough people with
> enough knowledge to help.

Hmmm, that's a very good remark.
I take my suggestion back.

Cyprien.