what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
I think I've copied (retyped) it from the manual.

\once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
\markup{ \italic Moderato }

All I am attemptin is to get the word Moderato higher above the notes of
the staff.

the response I get is

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/NoteWorthy/nwc files/Guitar/Oud
bk 2 line 94-224/Oud 129-132.ly:27:40: error: syntax error, unexpected '.'
\once \override TextScript #'padding = 2
                                        .0

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/NoteWorthy/nwc files/Guitar/Oud
bk 2 line 94-224/Oud 129-132.ly:28:9: error: unknown escaped string:
`\italic'
\markup{
         \italic Moderator }

So what am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Daniel Johnson-2
Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> I think I've copied (retyped) it from the manual.
>
> \once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
> \markup{ \italic Moderato }
>
> All I am attemptin is to get the word Moderato higher above the notes
> of the staff.
>
> the response I get is
>
> C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/NoteWorthy/nwc
> files/Guitar/Oud bk 2 line 94-224/Oud 129-132.ly:27:40: error: syntax
> error, unexpected '.'
> \once \override TextScript #'padding = 2
>                                        .0

you need a hash-mark before the 2.0:
\once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0

> C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/NoteWorthy/nwc
> files/Guitar/Oud bk 2 line 94-224/Oud 129-132.ly:28:9: error: unknown
> escaped string: `\italic'
> \markup{
>         \italic Moderator }
>
> So what am I doing wrong?
> Thank you.

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

tedneeman

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've copied (retyped) it from the manual.
>
> \once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
> \markup{ \italic Moderato }

add a hash: #2.0

Cheers,
Edward Neeman

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Martial-3

>>\once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
>>\markup{ \italic Moderato }

test this :

{
\once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0
s1^\markup{ \italic Moderato }
s1^\markup{ Pelleagato }

Martial
http://cathemline.org

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
This sort of worked, whereas the other two suggestions did not work at all.
However what it did not do was raise the word 'Moderato' above the tempo
marking the word Pelleagato appears next to the tempo marking which
would be sufficient/acceptable except I still don't know what is going on.
My guess is that s1^ is doing something even though it's doing something
different in each case- which means that I don't know what/why.
I suspect that Han-Wen did answer thoroughly but I accidently deleted
that response.
I apologize.
Jay

Martial wrote:

>>> \once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
>>> \markup{ \italic Moderato }
>>
> test this :
>
> {
> \once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0
> s1^\markup{ \italic Moderato }
> s1^\markup{ Pelleagato }

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Mats Bengtsson-6
In your original question, you didn't really say what you wanted to achieve
and you didn't include any complete example. A \markup{...} is used just
like any text string and within a score, you either have to attach it to
a note
like
b4^\markup{\italic Moderato }
or if you want it right at the top of the piece or over a bar line, use
\mark \markup{\italic Moderato }

Read about Text Scripts and Text Marks in the manual for more information
on these two options. Also, note that if you want to override the padding
property, you need different commands for these two options, since different
layout objects are used.

s1 itself is a spacing note (i.e. an invisible note), so you definitely
don't
want to add it in a voice of music. Spacing notes are sometimes used
in some parallel voice, for example to be able to put a text script or a
dynamic
indication or whatever at a place where you don't have any note starting.

In the example you sent earlier today, my guess is that you really want
something
like

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
\once \override TextScript #'staff-padding = #4.0

b4^\markup{ Pelleagato }^\markup{ \italic Andantino } \mf c d

or combining both into a single two-line markup

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
b4^\markup{ \column {\italic Moderato Pelleagato }} \mf c d

or using \mark (changing the alignment from default center to left)

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #4.0
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
\mark \markup{ \column {\italic Moderato Pelleagato }}

b4 \mf c d |

In the first of these three examples, I didn't use padding but
staff-padding,
since otherwise you get a very wide spacing also between the two markups
(try it yourself, to see what I mean).

Regarding the tremolo, the number after the : should indicate the
duration of each subdivision. I don't know the standard notation for
guitar music, but on most other instruments you use 3 beams to indicate
tremolo, i.e. b8:32

   /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> This sort of worked, whereas the other two suggestions did not work at
> all.
> However what it did not do was raise the word 'Moderato' above the
> tempo marking the word Pelleagato appears next to the tempo marking
> which would be sufficient/acceptable except I still don't know what is
> going on.
> My guess is that s1^ is doing something even though it's doing
> something different in each case- which means that I don't know what/why.
> I suspect that Han-Wen did answer thoroughly but I accidently deleted
> that response.
> I apologize.
> Jay

>> test this :
>>
>> {
>> \once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0
>> s1^\markup{ \italic Moderato }
>> s1^\markup{ Pelleagato }
>> }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Mats [et al} thank you

as for the tremolo in the 2.6 manual section 6.7.6 it gives examples
with a half note  and the stem has one slash
perhaps I mistakenly thought that even if it was an eighth note to get
one slash I merely needed to :8
But since that should really mean two 16ths I probably should have :16?
Jay