warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

David Kastrup

What's up with

    warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

here?  There is more than enough space to put one system more to the
next page, and 12 staff spaces?

Page breaks are supposed to be done with full skylines, aren't they?
Sorry for the entirely non-minimal example here.  I have no idea how to
boil this down to fit, but this is not a bug report (yet?).  I just want
input on whether something like this can reasonably be expected to
happen, and if so why, or whether this is indeed bug report country.

Not including the PDF because of 800kB size.  Ugh.





--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel

another.ly (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

Urs Liska

Am 14.11.2014 17:20, schrieb David Kastrup:

> What's up with
>
>      warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces
>
> here?  There is more than enough space to put one system more to the
> next page, and 12 staff spaces?
>
> Page breaks are supposed to be done with full skylines, aren't they?
> Sorry for the entirely non-minimal example here.  I have no idea how to
> boil this down to fit, but this is not a bug report (yet?).  I just want
> input on whether something like this can reasonably be expected to
> happen, and if so why, or whether this is indeed bug report country.
>
> Not including the PDF because of 800kB size.  Ugh.

Using

max-systems-per-page = 6


gives no warning and a much better output.
I think LilyPond should be able to decide that herself, without needing
manual help.

I'm not completely sure but I *think* I had similar behaviour recently
when I felt that I had to do overly manual stuff with
max-systems-per-page or system-count or even manual breaks.

Urs


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

David Kastrup
Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 14.11.2014 17:20, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> What's up with
>>
>>      warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces
>>
>> here?  There is more than enough space to put one system more to the
>> next page, and 12 staff spaces?
>>
>> Page breaks are supposed to be done with full skylines, aren't they?
>> Sorry for the entirely non-minimal example here.  I have no idea how to
>> boil this down to fit, but this is not a bug report (yet?).  I just want
>> input on whether something like this can reasonably be expected to
>> happen, and if so why, or whether this is indeed bug report country.
>>
>> Not including the PDF because of 800kB size.  Ugh.
>
> Using
>
> max-systems-per-page = 6
>
>
> gives no warning and a much better output.

I find that

\paper {
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

works rather well here, making both pages look good.  But the question
remains: why does LilyPond create a seriously overfull page in the
unmodified case?

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

oldsap
In reply to this post by David Kastrup
I see this problem as well.  The log message is:

warning: compressing over-full page by 31.9 staff-spaces
warning: page 5 has been compressed

This generates one system at the top of page 5 with signs of compression in the lowest staff, then leaves a huge empty space, then a highly compressed system at the bottom of the page.  I have tried setting
"ragged-last-bottom = ##f"   and   "max-systems-per-page = 2" to no effect (lilypond is only writing 2 systems to the page after all).  As this only happens on page 5 of an 11-page score, a short example is impossible (for me at any rate).  Pages 1-4 and 6-11 are fine.  The lilypond 12.14.0 file was generated by Rosegarden 15.12 on Linux Mint 18.  Compression is less if "set-global-staff-size 18" is reduced to 13.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks for your help.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

Simon Albrecht-2
Hi,

first on a technical note: Many do not use the Nabble interface and they
can’t see to which old thread you are replying. It’s more helpful to
just open a new one.


On 08.02.2017 19:22, oldsap wrote:

> I see this problem as well.  The log message is:
>
> warning: compressing over-full page by 31.9 staff-spaces
> warning: page 5 has been compressed
>
> This generates one system at the top of page 5 with signs of compression in
> the lowest staff, then leaves a huge empty space, then a highly compressed
> system at the bottom of the page.  I have tried setting
> "ragged-last-bottom = ##f"   and   "max-systems-per-page = 2" to no effect
> (lilypond is only writing 2 systems to the page after all).  As this only
> happens on page 5 of an 11-page score, a short example is impossible (for me
> at any rate).  Pages 1-4 and 6-11 are fine.  The lilypond 12.14.0 file was
> generated by Rosegarden 15.12 on Linux Mint 18.  Compression is less if
> "set-global-staff-size 18" is reduced to 13.

The problem doesn’t ring any bell with me, at least with the empty space
you are referring to. You could try inserting the following line into
your LilyPond file to enable visualisation of the ‘skylines’ LilyPond
uses for spacing:
#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)
and report back if that gives any hint, maybe as to what grob is causing
the empty space.
Else it’s not possible to say anything without looking at the actual
code. Either you have another go at creating a minimal example, e.g. by
successively replacing music with spacer rests, or using explicit page
breaks, or \repeat constructs. Or you send over the whole file,
privately to me if necessary.

Best, Simon

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces

oldsap
Hi Simon
 
Many thanks for the reply. 
 
You were right about the skylines.  The debug shows a huge spike above the first staff on the page.  Trouble is, that staff shows only rests for the measures where the spike occurs, so not sure why the skyline shoots up.  The second staff shows normal skylines, with some notes above the staff and a triplet mark all properly outlined.
 
I tried locating the problem, reducing the score to one voice, and commenting out the lyrics.  I then commented out the notes, working back from 160 bars to just 15, and the problem persisted.  Tried commenting out every setting and override statement to no avail.  Finally removed all references to a great long globalTempo definition that I suppose Rosegarden inserted to regulate the MIDI output, and BINGO, the score looks fine, with skylines under control.
 
Thanks again
 
Cheers
 
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:27 PM
To: oldsap
Subject: Re: warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces
 
Hi,

first on a technical note: Many do not use the Nabble interface and they
can’t see to which old thread you are replying. It’s more helpful to
just open a new one.


On 08.02.2017 19:22, oldsap wrote:

> I see this problem as well.  The log message is:
>
> warning: compressing over-full page by 31.9 staff-spaces
> warning: page 5 has been compressed
>
> This generates one system at the top of page 5 with signs of compression in
> the lowest staff, then leaves a huge empty space, then a highly compressed
> system at the bottom of the page.  I have tried setting
> "ragged-last-bottom = ##f"   and   "max-systems-per-page = 2" to no effect
> (lilypond is only writing 2 systems to the page after all).  As this only
> happens on page 5 of an 11-page score, a short example is impossible (for me
> at any rate).  Pages 1-4 and 6-11 are fine.  The lilypond 12.14.0 file was
> generated by Rosegarden 15.12 on Linux Mint 18.  Compression is less if
> "set-global-staff-size 18" is reduced to 13.
The problem doesn’t ring any bell with me, at least with the empty space
you are referring to. You could try inserting the following line into
your LilyPond file to enable visualisation of the ‘skylines’ LilyPond
uses for spacing:
#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)
and report back if that gives any hint, maybe as to what grob is causing
the empty space.
Else it’s not possible to say anything without looking at the actual
code. Either you have another go at creating a minimal example, e.g. by
successively replacing music with spacer rests, or using explicit page
breaks, or \repeat constructs. Or you send over the whole file,
privately to me if necessary.

Best, Simon

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
<A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=199877&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/warning-compressing-over-full-page-by-12-4-staff-spaces-tp168716p199877.html
To unsubscribe from warning: compressing over-full page by 12.4 staff-spaces, click here.
NAML