vertical placement of \mark

Graham Percival-2
A short time ago, the vertical placement of \mark was changed so that
it was placed above any other notation in the system.  In other words,
the "mark" in the example below was a huge distance above the staff.

\version "2.7.5"
{ c'1^1^2^3^4^5 \mark "mark" c'1 }

Shortly before 2.7.5 was released, this behavior (which presumably was
a bug) reverted back to the old version -- the "mark" is printed right
above
the staff lines.

Even though this was a bug, I found it *extremely* useful.  Could the
"above
the system" vertical positioning (instead of "immediately above the
staff lines"
be made into a tweakable option?

Re: vertical placement of \mark

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:

> A short time ago, the vertical placement of \mark was changed so that
> it was placed above any other notation in the system.  In other words,
> the "mark" in the example below was a huge distance above the staff.
>
> \version "2.7.5"
> { c'1^1^2^3^4^5 \mark "mark" c'1 }
>

> Shortly before 2.7.5 was released, this behavior (which presumably was
> a bug) reverted back to the old version -- the "mark" is printed right
> above
> the staff lines.
>
> Even though this was a bug, I found it *extremely* useful.  Could the
> "above

what did you use it for?

On 16-Aug-05, at 1:05 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Shortly before 2.7.5 was released, this behavior (which presumably was
>> a bug) reverted back to the old version -- the "mark" is printed
>> right above
>> the staff lines.
>> Even though this was a bug, I found it *extremely* useful.  Could the
>> "above
>
> what did you use it for?

"beautiful notation by default".  :)

For Real Life (ie longer) examples, see the stuff on my website
(http://percial-music.ca).
For a useful example, see below.  This kind of notation (number of
ledger lines and the slurs)
is typical for string music.

Without the \overrides, it's horribly ugly.
With the \overrides, it's good -- but it requires guessing and multiple
experiments
to get good numbers.
With the "buggy" \mark behavior, I simply take the defaults for most
things.  True,
I'd need to assign #'padding = #-3 or so for the last line.  But in my
experience, I
always need to increase the #'padding for \marks; I only need to lower
the #'padding
about 20% of the time.

I'm not suggesting that we use the "buggy" \mark for the default
behavior (although
on second thought, that might be a good idea anyway :) .  All I really
want is an
option to use that behavior if we wish.

\version "2.7.4"
\relative c' { \clef bass
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters

%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #2.0
c4 c d c b a g fis( \mark \default g) g g g \break
%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #5.5
a b c d e d e fis( \mark \default g) g fis e \break
%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #3.5
d1 b4 b a g( \mark \default d') c b a g1
%\revert Score.RehearsalMark #'padding
g'4 d b g a2 d,( \mark \default a1)