v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Patrick Karl
I have lately been trying to move from v2.19.81 to 2.19.82.  The biggest problem I see at this early stage is that
 v2.19.82 documentation is apparently dependent upon a new font, Emmentaler-20.  Or at least I
get an error message such as:

Cannot find or create the font Emmentaler-20. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

or

Cannot find or create the font TeXGyroSchola-Regular. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

I have downloaded the pdf version of the documentation.  I’m running OS X 10.11.6 on a mac pro and a macbook pro.

Does anyone have any helpful information here?  Does any of the documentation address this problem, which I have not encountered in the past (I’ve been running LilyPond since 2.14).

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Thomas Morley-2
Am Do., 22. Nov. 2018 um 23:49 Uhr schrieb Patrick Karl <[hidden email]>:

> I have lately been trying to move from v2.19.81 to 2.19.82.  The biggest problem I see at this early stage is that
>  v2.19.82 documentation is apparently dependent upon a new font, Emmentaler-20.  Or at least I
> get an error message such as:
>
> Cannot find or create the font Emmentaler-20. Some characters may not display or print correctly.
>
> or
>
> Cannot find or create the font TeXGyroSchola-Regular. Some characters may not display or print correctly.
>
> I have downloaded the pdf version of the documentation.  I’m running OS X 10.11.6 on a mac pro and a macbook pro.
>
> Does anyone have any helpful information here?  Does any of the documentation address this problem, which I have not encountered in the past (I’ve been running LilyPond since 2.14).

It's a known problem, see full discussion here:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/PDF-docs-for-2-19-82-broken-missing-fonts-td214202i20.html

Phil, David, any news about it?

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

David Kastrup
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am Do., 22. Nov. 2018 um 23:49 Uhr schrieb Patrick Karl <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I have lately been trying to move from v2.19.81 to 2.19.82.  The
>> biggest problem I see at this early stage is that
>>  v2.19.82 documentation is apparently dependent upon a new font,
>> Emmentaler-20.  Or at least I
>> get an error message such as:
>>
>> Cannot find or create the font Emmentaler-20. Some characters may
>> not display or print correctly.
>>
>> or
>>
>> Cannot find or create the font TeXGyroSchola-Regular. Some
>> characters may not display or print correctly.
>>
>> I have downloaded the pdf version of the documentation.  I’m running
>> OS X 10.11.6 on a mac pro and a macbook pro.
>>
>> Does anyone have any helpful information here?  Does any of the
>> documentation address this problem, which I have not encountered in
>> the past (I’ve been running LilyPond since 2.14).
>
> It's a known problem, see full discussion here:
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/PDF-docs-for-2-19-82-broken-missing-fonts-td214202i20.html
>
> Phil, David, any news about it?

I thought we decided to classify it as "fluke" (happening rarely and we
don't know why) and wanted to just see whether 2.19.83 looked ok again.
That 2.19.83 is stuck in the pipeline because of build problems and lack
of personal resources is, of course, doubly unfortunate because of the
documentation problem.

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Andrew Bernard
Hi Patrick,

This is supposed to be helpful information, but you may see it as not. For what it is worth, there is no such issue on any of my machines., Windows 10, Debian 9, Ubuntu 18.10 and Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra. So at least we know the docs do work for at least one person!

I will add that there are _very_ weird problems with the Mac and the Mac only with the font Alegreya, and only Algreya, in which text just does not show. And some people see this and some do not. It's very strange. You read the threads on this - pure mystery. I mention this because it is another observed strange font problem on Mac.

 A usual suggestion, but can you upgrade your Mac to a more recent version of the OS? I understand there may be reasons preventing you, but it may help, and I don't know how far back the lilypond developers support Mac OS.

Andrew

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Patrick Karl
I thank everyone for the replies.  I’ll just wait till it’s fixed.

I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac, but had no luck.  Is that a way out?   I have to admit that fonts are pretty much a black hole for me.

Patrick Karl <[hidden email]> writes:

> I thank everyone for the replies.  I’ll just wait till it’s fixed.
>
> I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac,
> but had no luck.  Is that a way out?  I have to admit that fonts are
> pretty much a black hole for me.

PDF files should embed every font they contain.  If you have to install
external fonts for viewing them, something is broken.  Try using the
documentation files of 2.19.81 instead.

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Aaron Hill
On 2018-11-23 7:30 am, David Kastrup wrote:

> Patrick Karl <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I thank everyone for the replies.  I’ll just wait till it’s fixed.
>>
>> I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac,
>> but had no luck.  Is that a way out?  I have to admit that fonts are
>> pretty much a black hole for me.
>
> PDF files should embed every font they contain.  If you have to install
> external fonts for viewing them, something is broken.  Try using the
> documentation files of 2.19.81 instead.

Since the issue is that fonts are not embedded, I wondered if the
solution is as simple as embedding them after the fact.  The important
missing fonts in question are shipped with LilyPond, so then it was
matter of looking online for a little bit of GhostScript:

     gs -o path-to-fixed.pdf \
       -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
       -sFONTPATH="path-to-fonts" \
       path-to-broken.pdf

On my system, "path-to-fonts" would be:

     /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/

Running the command against all of the 2.19.82 PDFs from the web site,
the results are a significant improvement.  There were only a few
substitutions due to additional missing fonts, but those are largely
irrelevant (i.e. "LuxiMono" used as an example of overriding the
typewriter font).

Something for folks to consider to tide us over until the next release.

-- Aaron Hill

Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2018-11-23 7:30 am, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Patrick Karl <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I thank everyone for the replies.  I’ll just wait till it’s fixed.
>>>
>>> I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac,
>>> but had no luck.  Is that a way out?  I have to admit that fonts are
>>> pretty much a black hole for me.
>>
>> PDF files should embed every font they contain.  If you have to install
>> external fonts for viewing them, something is broken.  Try using the
>> documentation files of 2.19.81 instead.
>
> Since the issue is that fonts are not embedded, I wondered if the
> solution is as simple as embedding them after the fact.  The important
> missing fonts in question are shipped with LilyPond, so then it was
> matter of looking online for a little bit of GhostScript:
>
>     gs -o path-to-fixed.pdf \
>       -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
>       -sFONTPATH="path-to-fonts" \
>       path-to-broken.pdf

That's sort of what the build procedure is supposed to do anyway.  We
figured out that we likely got some intermediate file version, and the
intermediate files are now named differently.  So even if we don't
understand what went wrong, chances are that it cannot happen again.

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Andrew Bernard
I am curious then as to why it all works fine for me and presumably others?

Sounds like a Mac font problem to me, given my other current experience with Alegreya, as initially raised by Kieren.

Or has 2.19.82 been rebuilt since I downloaded it some time ago?

I may be wrong!

Andrew

On 2018-11-23 4:42 pm, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I am curious then as to why it all works fine for me and presumably
> others?
>
> Sounds like a Mac font problem to me, given my other current experience
> with Alegreya, as initially raised by Kieren.
>
> Or has 2.19.82 been rebuilt since I downloaded it some time ago?
>
> I may be wrong!

Just checked, and the PDFs on the site have not been changed and are
still broken.

If your PDF viewer is able to locate and use the fonts that LilyPond
contains within its installation and/or you have those fonts installed,
then it'll seem to work for you.  For instance, I tried manually
installing one of the Emmentaler fonts and some of the notation rendered
as expected.

But the PDFs definitely do not have the fonts embedded, so they *should*
be broken for nearly all users, since it would be uncommon to have the
notation fonts installed.  And considering the notation fonts change
from release to release, it does not make sense to ever have them
installed.  A PDF for a particular version of LilyPond should reflect
the state of the fonts at that point in time, not try to use whatever
version the user might have installed.  Hence why font embedding is so
important.

-- Aaron Hill

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Michael Gerdau

>> I am curious then as to why it all works fine for me and presumably others?
>> Sounds like a Mac font problem to me, given my other current experience
>> with Alegreya, as initially raised by Kieren.
>> Or has 2.19.82 been rebuilt since I downloaded it some time ago?
>> I may be wrong!
>
> Just checked, and the PDFs on the site have not been changed and are still broken.

Just looked at the 2.19.82 notation.pdf with my iPhone (read: clearly no lilypond fonts installed locally) and by briefly browsing through it I could not detect any broken images.

So I’m not convinced your analysis is completely correct.

Kind regards,
Michael

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Knute Snortum
Here's what the PDF notation manual looks like from my android phone.

--
Knute Snortum

1_Screenshot_20181124-074402.png (221K) Download Attachment

On 2018-11-24 7:03 am, Michael Gerdau wrote:

>>> I am curious then as to why it all works fine for me and presumably
>>> others?
>>> Sounds like a Mac font problem to me, given my other current
>>> experience
>>> with Alegreya, as initially raised by Kieren.
>>> Or has 2.19.82 been rebuilt since I downloaded it some time ago?
>>> I may be wrong!
>>
>> Just checked, and the PDFs on the site have not been changed and are
>> still broken.
>
> Just looked at the 2.19.82 notation.pdf with my iPhone (read: clearly
> no lilypond fonts installed locally) and by briefly browsing through
> it I could not detect any broken images.
>
> So I’m not convinced your analysis is completely correct.

Are you sure you are looking at the 2.19.82 version?  I would be *very*
surprised to find a PDF viewer that can magically summon fonts from the
aether, because they are very much not there.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf

Output from pdffonts:

> pdffonts notation.pdf | grep -iv "builtin" | head -n 10

name                                 type              encoding
emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ----------------
--- --- --- ---------
Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
no  no  yes    642  0
TeXGyreSchola-Italic                 Type 1            WinAnsi
no  no  no     645  0
Emmentaler-Brace                     Type 1            Custom
no  no  no     648  0
Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
no  no  yes    656  0
TeXGyreSchola-Regular                Type 1            WinAnsi
no  no  no     658  0
Emmentaler-Brace                     Type 1            Custom
no  no  no     661  0
Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
no  no  no     668  0
Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
no  no  no     678  0

-- Aaron Hill

On 2018-11-24 2:17 pm, Aaron Hill wrote:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf

Also...

> md5sum notation.pdf

c578b9e1b04a7655a647f015bd77b7b0  notation.pdf

> curl -L http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf |
> md5sum
   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 4306k  100 4306k    0     0  1564k      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--
1564k
c578b9e1b04a7655a647f015bd77b7b0  -

-- Aaron Hill

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

J Martin Rushton
On 24/11/18 22:17, Aaron Hill wrote:

>>> Just checked, and the PDFs on the site have not been changed and are
>>> still broken.
>>
>> Just looked at the 2.19.82 notation.pdf with my iPhone (read: clearly
>> no lilypond fonts installed locally) and by briefly browsing through
>> it I could not detect any broken images.
>>
>> So I’m not convinced your analysis is completely correct.
>
> Are you sure you are looking at the 2.19.82 version?  I would be *very*
> surprised to find a PDF viewer that can magically summon fonts from the
> aether, because they are very much not there.
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf
>
> Output from pdffonts:
>
>> pdffonts notation.pdf | grep -iv "builtin" | head -n 10
>
> name                                 type              encoding
> emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- ----------------
> --- --- --- ---------
> Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
> no  no  yes    642  0
> TeXGyreSchola-Italic                 Type 1            WinAnsi
> no  no  no     645  0
> Emmentaler-Brace                     Type 1            Custom
> no  no  no     648  0
> Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
> no  no  yes    656  0
> TeXGyreSchola-Regular                Type 1            WinAnsi
> no  no  no     658  0
> Emmentaler-Brace                     Type 1            Custom
> no  no  no     661  0
> Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
> no  no  no     668  0
> Emmentaler-20                        Type 1            Custom
> no  no  no     678  0
>
> -- Aaron Hill

Following the above link using Firefox 60.3.0esr running under CentOS
7.5.1804 (kernel 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64) fails with "weird" symbols.
 Downloading the file (wget) and viewing through Document viewer (aka
Evince) 3.22.1 also fails in the same way.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Michael Gerdau

Are you sure you are looking at the 2.19.82 version?  I would be *very* surprised to find a PDF viewer that can magically summon fonts from the aether, because they are very much not there.

I‘m quite certain that I’ve been looking at 2.19.82...

...however your link does point to a pdf that’s broken for me as well.

Rechecking my url which I navigated to via the website gives
which of course is because German is the preferred language as reported by my browser.

Does that help to track down the problem?

Kind regards,
Michael

On 24/11/18 23:23, Michael Gerdau wrote:

>> Are you sure you are looking at the 2.19.82 version?  I would be
>> *very* surprised to find a PDF viewer that can magically summon fonts
>> from the aether, because they are very much not there.
>
> I‘m quite certain that I’ve been looking at 2.19.82...
>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf
>
> ...however your link does point to a pdf that’s broken for me as well.
>
> Rechecking my url which I navigated to via the website gives
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.de.pdf
> which of course is because German is the preferred language as reported
> by my browser.
>
> Does that help to track down the problem?
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael

The English language documentation is 4.4 MiB, the German is 6.6 Mib.
Now I know languages differ in their density, but 50% larger seems to me
like a smoking gun.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS

On 2018-11-24 3:23 pm, Michael Gerdau wrote:

>> Are you sure you are looking at the 2.19.82 version?  I would be
>> *very* surprised to find a PDF viewer that can magically summon fonts
>> from the aether, because they are very much not there.
>
> I‘m quite certain that I’ve been looking at 2.19.82...
>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf
>
> ...however your link does point to a pdf that’s broken for me as well.
>
> Rechecking my url which I navigated to via the website gives
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.de.pdf
> which of course is because German is the preferred language as
> reported by my browser.

My bad, I forgot that some of the localized versions of the docs were
unaffected by this issue.

> Does that help to track down the problem?

For the record, there is nothing to "track down".  This issue was
already investigated many months back, as David mentioned.
Unfortunately, the resolution did not involve regenerating the docs
properly, so the English version (and I believe a few other locales) are
going to remain broken until the next build of LilyPond is released.

My contribution to this thread was simply a workaround that folks could
use to fix the broken PDFs locally for the time-being.

-- Aaron Hill

Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

Andrew Bernard
My apologies - I read this as referring to the 'documentation' meaning the HTML files, viewable with Frescobaldi or a browser. I failed to see that this was referring to PDF, and even read the comment that 'I downloaded the PDF' as meaning that was the solution! How wrong can I be?

I can confirm that the 2.19.82 PDF file does not have Emmentaler embedded in it, just as others say, and will not render properly, since font substituion takes place and it is obviously wrong.

Andrew