v2.11.58-2 guile17 error ppc

Stan Sanderson
Mac OS 10.5, PPC G4, LilyPond 2.11.58-2 (darwin-ppc)

I get the following error message when trying to use LilyPond (command-
line from the terminal):

....$ lilypond --version
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../lib//libguile.17.dylib
   Referenced from: /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
lilypond
   Reason: Incompatible library version: lilypond requires version
20.0.0 or later, but libguile.17.dylib provides version 19.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

help?

Stan

Re: v2.11.58-2 guile17 error ppc

v.villenave
2008/9/15 Stan Sanderson <[hidden email]>:
> Mac OS 10.5, PPC G4, LilyPond 2.11.58-2 (darwin-ppc)

Yes, we know about it:

Hopefully this will get fixed quickly -- however it seems trickier
than the similar Windows problem Han-Wen just fixed.

Cheers,
Valentin

Re: v2.11.58-2 guile17 error ppc

Stan Sanderson
Ignore previous post; known problem.

Sorry- I now found the "known issue" info; I'm out of town and limited
in access.

Thanks,

Stan

On Sep 15, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Stan Sanderson wrote:

> Mac OS 10.5, PPC G4, LilyPond 2.11.58-2 (darwin-ppc)
>
> I get the following error message when trying to use LilyPond
> (command-line from the terminal):
>
> ....$ lilypond --version
> dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../lib//libguile.17.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
> lilypond
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: lilypond requires version
> 20.0.0 or later, but libguile.17.dylib provides version 19.0.0
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> help?
>
> Stan

Stan

Re: v2.11.58-2 guile17 error ppc

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
Sorry about this.  Let me do a clean rebuild.  Can someone verify if
this is a problem on other platforms too?

2008/9/17 Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]>:
> Sorry about this.  Let me do a clean rebuild.  Can someone verify if
> this is a problem on other platforms too?

The GNU/Linux build has never been broken as far as I could see, and
the Win32 build works fine since you've rebuild it with a compatible
Guile. But if you do a whole rebuild, I'll happily check these two
platforms again!

Cheers,
Valentin

Questions on beaming and barring

Nick Payne-3
1. Is it possible to put a slight slope on beams which Lilypond defaults to engraving as flat? I've found out how to flatten a sloped beam but not the reverse. Where I've got a whole page of arpeggiated 16th notes, I think it looks better to have them all slightly sloping than flat.

2. I'm trying to put some guitar barring indications into a piece. I found a piece on the Mutopia web site with what I wanted (Adelita by Tarrega - http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/make-table.cgi?Composer=TarregaF), but when I copied the relevant sections into my source, instead of the proper barring indication I just get a dotted line at the point where the indication should be. I tested the Mutopia source adelita.ly file with Lilypond 2.11.58 on my XP machine and got the same problem with the barring being replaced with dotted lines, so I'm not sure what is causing this. I've attached a couple of images, one showing the part of the Adelita PDF file that I downloaded from Mutopia and the other showing the same part of the PDF file generated on my machine from the Mutopia source file.

Nick

adelita-ok.png (5K) Download Attachment
adelita-bad.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Questions on beaming and barring

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Nick,

> I tested the Mutopia source adelita.ly file with Lilypond 2.11.58

The file was written for Lilypond 2.8.0, and many things have changed
since then.

Usually, I would suggest running convert-ly, but that appears not to
work on this file for some reason (which I'm too busy to figure out
right now) — instead, I manually updated the following function
definition for you:

barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text
shorten) (number? string? pair?)
#{
        \once \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #1
        \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
        \once \override TextSpanner #'edge-height = #'(0 . 1)
        \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = #$padding
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = #$text
        \once \override TextSpanner #'shorten-pair = $shorten
#})

That should do what you want.

HTH!
Kieren.

Re: Questions on beaming and barring

Neil Puttock
2008/9/17 Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]>:

> Usually, I would suggest running convert-ly, but that appears not to work on
> this file for some reason (which I'm too busy to figure out right now) —
> instead, I manually updated the following function definition for you:

Some of the changes to line spanners in 2.11 were too involved for
automatic conversion using convert-ly.

> barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten)
> (number? string? pair?)
> #{
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #1
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'edge-height = #'(0 . 1)
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = #$padding
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = #$text
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'shorten-pair = $shorten
> #})
Edge-height and shorten-pair don't work with spanners any more. To add
bracket edges you have to draw lines in 'bound-details using markup
instead.

barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten)
(number? string? pair?)
#{
  \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'line
  \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
  %draw a bracket edge on RHS
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = \markup
{ \draw-line #'(0 . -1) }
  \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = $padding
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = $text
  % set alignment of line with reference to left text
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left
#'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #(car $shorten)
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding =
#(cdr $shorten)
  % optional overrides to remove text and bracket edge at line breaks
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'text = ##f
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'text = ##f
#})

Regards,
Neil

Re: v2.11.58-2 guile17 error ppc

Rembrandt Wolpert

v2.11.58-3 works -- i.e. the problem is now fixed.

2008/9/19 Rembrandt Wolpert <[hidden email]>:

> v2.11.58-3 works -- i.e. the problem is now fixed.

Thanks, this allows me to close the issue.

Cheers,
Valentin

RE: Questions on beaming and barring

Nick Payne-3
Neil

Thanks. I used your function definition in a short test and it worked just as I wanted. Strangely, however, when I used the function identically in the piece I'm engraving, I just get a dashed line where I should see the barring indication, and I can't see why it works with one and not the other.

Foo.ly and foo.png - test and output as expected.
Barrios.ly and barrios.png - shows only a dashed line over bar 7 where the barre indication should be.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Nick

2008/9/17 Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]>:

> Usually, I would suggest running convert-ly, but that appears not to work on
> this file for some reason (which I'm too busy to figure out right now) —
> instead, I manually updated the following function definition for you:

Some of the changes to line spanners in 2.11 were too involved for
automatic conversion using convert-ly.

> barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten)
> (number? string? pair?)
> #{
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #1
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'edge-height = #'(0 . 1)
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = #$padding
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = #$text
>        \once \override TextSpanner #'shorten-pair = $shorten
> #})
Edge-height and shorten-pair don't work with spanners any more. To add
bracket edges you have to draw lines in 'bound-details using markup
instead.

barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten)
(number? string? pair?)
#{
  \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'line
  \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
  %draw a bracket edge on RHS
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = \markup
{ \draw-line #'(0 . -1) }
  \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = $padding
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = $text
  % set alignment of line with reference to left text
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left
#'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #(car $shorten)
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding =
#(cdr $shorten)
  % optional overrides to remove text and bracket edge at line breaks
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'text = ##f
  \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'text = ##f
#})

Regards,
Neil

barrios.ly (4K) Download Attachment
foo.ly (1K) Download Attachment
barrios.png (13K) Download Attachment
foo.png (5K) Download Attachment

RE: Questions on beaming and barring

Nick Payne-3
Hopefully this doesn't appear twice - my ISP has been having some e-mail problems and I don't know if it got sent on the 1st attempt...

Neil

Thanks. I used your function definition in a short test and it worked just as I wanted. Strangely, however, when I copied and pasted the function into the piece I'm engraving, I just get a dashed line where I should see the barring indication, and I can't see why it works with one and not the other.

2008/9/19 Nick Payne <[hidden email]>:
> Neil
>
> Thanks. I used your function definition in a short test and it worked just as I wanted. Strangely, however, when I used the function identically in the piece I'm engraving, I just get a dashed line where I should see the barring indication, and I can't see why it works with one and not the other.
>
> Foo.ly and foo.png - test and output as expected.
> Barrios.ly and barrios.png - shows only a dashed line over bar 7 where the barre indication should be.

Since the overrides in \barre use \once, it must be placed directly
before the note where the text span starts, otherwise all the settings
are forgotten:

\barre #0.0 "CIV" #'(0 . 0) <d-4>->\startTextSpan

Regards,
Neil

RE: Questions on beaming and barring

Nick Payne-3
Thanks again. One final (I hope) question. When the duration of the barre causes it to start on one stave and finish on another, that presents two problems in the output:

1. On the stave where the barre continues, it starts slightly to the left of the very beginning of the stave rather than above the first note on the stave.

2. The bar number at the start of the stave gets moved from its normal position to above the line for the barre.

Is there any way around this short of generating the output, seeing whether any barres are split across staves, and then manually stopping and starting them to avoid this behaviour.

Nick

foo.png (14K) Download Attachment

RE: Questions on beaming and barring

Nick Payne-3
After a bit of fiddling, I arrived at the following which fixes my two problems below:

barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten adjBreak) (number? string? pair? number?) #{
        \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'line
        \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
        %draw a bracket edge on RHS
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . -1) }
        \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = $padding
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = $text
        % set alignment of line with reference to left text
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #(car $shorten)
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #(cdr $shorten)
        % override to remove bracket edge at line breaks
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'text = ##f
        % adjust LH end of line when it wraps to following stave
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'X = #$adjBreak
#})

I thing I haven't managed to fix is that the barring indication looks better if both the right- and left-hand ends are extended slightly so that they don't both start and finish centred on a note, like so:

\barre #0.0 "CIV" #'(-0.5 . -1) #10

But this means that a barre that wraps to the following stave now extends slightly beyond the RH end of the beginning stave. I couldn't find the command to fix that.

Nick

> Thanks. I used your function definition in a short test and it worked
> just as I wanted. Strangely, however, when I used the function
> identically in the piece I'm engraving, I just get a dashed line where
> I should see the barring indication, and I can't see why it works with one and not the other.
>
> Foo.ly and foo.png - test and output as expected.
> Barrios.ly and barrios.png - shows only a dashed line over bar 7 where
> the barre indication should be.

Since the overrides in \barre use \once, it must be placed directly before the note where the text span starts, otherwise all the settings are forgotten:

\barre #0.0 "CIV" #'(0 . 0) <d-4>->\startTextSpan

Re: Questions on beaming and barring

Neil Puttock
Hi Nick,

> I thing I haven't managed to fix is that the barring indication looks better if both the right- and left-hand ends are extended slightly so that they don't both start and finish centred on a note, like so:
>
> \barre #0.0 "CIV" #'(-0.5 . -1) #10
>
> But this means that a barre that wraps to the following stave now extends slightly beyond the RH end of the beginning stave. I couldn't find the command to fix that.

\override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'padding = #0

I'm afraid the problem with the left alignment after a break is a bug
(see http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=654&q=spanner);
it's been like this ever since the new spanner code was implemented.
As a workaround, you can use the bound-detail 'end-on-note, which was
introduced to align broken trill spanners with the first note after a
break (text spanners and trill spanners use nearly identical code):

\once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'end-on-note = ##t

Ideally, the 'left-broken alignment would be the same as for dynamic
text spanners (before the note, but after prefatory breakable items
such as time signatures and clefs), but until this is fixed properly,
a combination of  'end-on-note and 'padding will do.

Regards,
Neil