unable to install version 2.0

Tom Swan
I copied and executed script "lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh" from the Downloads page. It seems to run but afterwards, "lilypond --version" still reports GNU LilyPond 2.18.2. What am I doing wrong? Also tried apt-get upgrade lilypond, which reports  "lilypond is already the newest version (2.18.2-12build1)" so now I'm stuck. How do I get the newest release?  [hidden email]

Re: unable to install version 2.0

Kevin Barry
Hi Tom,

It looks like you might have two versions installed: 2.18 from apt and 2.20 from the script you downloaded (although normally the downloaded on takes precedence).

Can you check the output of:
/usr/local/bin/lilypond --version
?

Kevin

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, 19:09 Tom Swan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I copied and executed script "lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh" from the Downloads page. It seems to run but afterwards, "lilypond --version" still reports GNU LilyPond 2.18.2. What am I doing wrong? Also tried apt-get upgrade lilypond, which reports  "lilypond is already the newest version (2.18.2-12build1)" so now I'm stuck. How do I get the newest release?  [hidden email]

http://www.tomswan.com

Re: unable to install version 2.0

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-04 11:47 am, Tom Swan wrote:
> PS: Output of /usr/local/bin/lilypond is "No such file or directory"

What about "~/bin/lilypond --version"?

-- Aaron Hill

Re: unable to install version 2.0

David Wright
On Fri 04 Sep 2020 at 14:09:06 (-0400), Tom Swan wrote:
>    I copied and executed script "lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh" from the Downloads page. It seems to run but afterwards, "lilypond --version" still reports GNU LilyPond 2.18.2. What am I doing wrong? Also tried apt-get upgrade lilypond, which reports&nbsp; "lilypond is already the newest version (2.18.2-12build1)" so now I'm stuck. How do I get the newest release?&nbsp;

Please don't post HTML, particularly without any text version.

If you executed   sh lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh   it will
presumably have responded with:

  You are about to install LilyPond in /home/tom/lilypond
  A script in /home/tom/bin will be created as a shortcut.

  Press ^C to abort, or Enter to proceed.

Typing   lilypond --version   will run the version in your PATH, which
is unchanged (see ouput from apt-get). Most people won't want
~/lilypond in their PATH (along with directories for other "foreign"
software), so conventionally they put ~/bin in their PATH, with either
the binary (when simple/small) or a script placed in ~/bin. LP does
the latter (typically four scripts plus eight symlinks).

Here's my PATH:

$ echo $PATH
/home/david/bin:/home/david/.local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
$

How to set it? That depends on how you login. If you run X with
startx, then it's simple, put this into your ~/.bash_profile
or ~/.profile or ~/.bash_login, whichever you use. ( For Desktop
users, it's probably somewhere else.)

  export PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"

Just take care not to have any double colons, or have any
colons at the beginning or end of the PATH.

Cheers,
David.

Re: unable to install version 2.0

Tom Swan
Hi David,
Thanks. Yes, I do set the PATH (in my case in .bashrc) and I also use bash aliases similarly. I might have the install problem solved. I did "apt-get remove lilypond" and then I executed the install script as before. I had mistakenly run the wrong version previously, but when I tried again, v2.0 hang until I removed the older version. After that, v2.0 now runs correctly. (PS: I installed to a private ~/bin folder that I use for various things.) Thank you for your help getting me going. -- Tom

On Fri 04 Sep 2020 at 17:11:27 (-0400), Tom Swan wrote:
> […] Yes, I do set the PATH (in my case in .bashrc)

Not the best place, though many people will notice nothing wrong.
When you enter a subshell, you get another modification of PATH
at each and every level. Presumably you source or "dot in" .bashrc
in your profile. If you want the lowdown, I always consult
  https://mywiki.wooledge.org/DotFiles
(Neither he nor I uses a DM/DE.)

> and I also use bash aliases similarly.

Aliases are fine: you normally only expect them to work in interactive
shells, and they don't grow like PATH and other environment variables
when defined recursively.

> I might have the install problem solved.

Great. And thanks for posting text.

Cheers,
David.

Re: unable to install version 2.0