two questions compile (times maybe) and question on barline repeats

two questions compile (times maybe) and question on barline repeats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
v.2.6.4
winxp
I have a 1200 line file (so far) and it was compiling in 2 minutes or
less and now it has begun not to compile at all.  Is there something I
can look for that would explain this without submitting the entire file?

Secondly
I just entered a series of 2 measure exercises (guitar/Giuliani) with
\bar "|:" at the beginning and \bar ":|" at the end of each two bars but
the end repeat does not show.
I tried adding \break which did not change anything and I thought
perhaps that I could use \bar ":|:" with a \break but no luck so is
there a bug or a 'special' technique to get

single 2 measure line with repeat signs

Jay

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton

Re: two questions compile (times maybe) and question on barline repeats

Graham Percival-2

On 29-Dec-05, at 7:28 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> v.2.6.4
> winxp
> I have a 1200 line file (so far) and it was compiling in 2 minutes or
> less and now it has begun not to compile at all.  Is there something I
> can look for that would explain this without submitting the entire
> file?

If you've updated your version of lilypond, did you run convert-ly ?
If not, what did you change last?  You must have made some change
between the last time you compiled it and when it stopped compiling.
Are there any error messages displayed?  If there's any line numbers
mentioned, double-check the area around those lines -- sometimes the
actual error occurs a few lines away from the reported problem.

> Secondly
> I just entered a series of 2 measure exercises (guitar/Giuliani) with
> \bar "|:" at the beginning and \bar ":|" at the end of each two bars
> but the end repeat does not show.

Why not use \repeat ?  Anyway, if it's just a one-line example that
doesn't display a bar line, please send the example to the list.

Re: two questions compile (times maybe) and question on barline repeats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Graham- I didn't upgrade, and I did add a few lines of rests before it
stopped compiling.  I get nothing , no error no command box nothing.
That's why I asked the question.  I'll try to go back and delete the
added material until it will compile and start from there.

Below is the file the pdf just has the 4 lines of 2 measure each but
without repeat signs until the final measure.
I didn't/ don't use repeat as I thought that was mainly to get the midi
to sound right and I don't care about midi for this.
Please correct me if I misunderstand.

Jay
\version "2.6.0"
\header {
  title = "Giuliani's 120 group 1"

  subtitle = "Right hand studies"
  copyright = "for study purposes only"

}
melody = \relative c'
{
\clef treble
\key c \major
\time 4/4
#(set-global-staff-size 20)

\bar "|:" \times 2/3 {c8^\markup {"#2"} c' e} \times 2/3 {e, c' e}
\times 2/3 {g, c e}
\times 2/3 {c, c' e} \times 2/3 {b, d' f} \times 2/3 {d, d' f}
\times 2/3 {g, d' f} \times 2/3 {b,, d' f} \bar ":|" \break
\bar "|:" \times 2/3 {c8^\markup {"#3"} e' c} \times 2/3 {e, e' c}
\times 2/3 {g e' c}
\times 2/3 {c, e' c} \times 2/3 {b, f'' d} \times 2/3 {d, f' d}
\times 2/3 {g, f' d} \times 2/3 {b, f'' d} \bar ":|" \break
\bar "|:" \times 2/3 {c8^\markup {"#4"} e g} \times 2/3 {e g c} \times
2/3 {g c e}
\times 2/3 {c, c' e} \times 2/3 {b, d g} \times 2/3 {d g d'}
\times 2/3 {g, d' f} \times 2/3 {b,, d' f} \bar ":|"

\new Staff \melody
\layout { }
\midi { \tempo 4=60 }
}

On 30-Dec-05, at 7:10 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> Graham- I didn't upgrade, and I did add a few lines of rests before it
> stopped compiling.  I get nothing , no error no command box nothing.

This is odd; at the very least it should spit out a "segfault" or
something.

>   That's why I asked the question.  I'll try to go back and delete the
> added material until it will compile and start from there.

Don't delete it; just comment it out.  :)

> I didn't/ don't use repeat as I thought that was mainly to get the
> midi to sound right and I don't care about midi for this.
> Please correct me if I misunderstand.

\repeat has no effect on midi, unless you use \unfoldRepeats (or
something like that).

Actually, not using \repeat is the cause of the problem here.  You can
only have one \bar command on each bar line.  So lilypond sees the \bar
":|" command at the end of one line, but that gets overwritten by the
\bar"|:" command for the start of the next bar (which is still the same
barline).

Using \repeat avoids this problem; see below.  (excerpt)

          \time 4/4
          #(set-global-staff-size 20)

\repeat volta 2 {
\bar "|:"
          \repeat volta 2{
          \times 2/3 {c8^\markup {"#2"} c' e} \times 2/3 {e, c' e}
\times 2/3 {g, c e}
          \times 2/3 {c, c' e} \times 2/3 {b, d' f} \times 2/3 {d, d' f}
          \times 2/3 {g, d' f} \times 2/3 {b,, d' f}
          } \break

I only did two lines; you can fix the other lines in a similar way.
Note that you still need an explicit \bar "|:" at the beginning of the
piece.

BTW, this email was sent to the correct addresses.  :)