two drum staves put together

Sterling MacNay
Hi,

I am putting together a choral work that is simply stomping and
clapping.  I have decided to use the /drummode environment and let
snaredrum = clap and bassdum = stomp.  All is well if I use the syntax:

\new DrumStaff <<
     \drummode {
     bd4 r r r
     etc.
     }

To put a second part in there would I:

\new DrumStaff <<
     \drummode {
     bd4 r r r
     etc.
     }

\new SrumStaff
     \drummode {
     r4 r sn4 r4
     etc.
     }

I would also like to label each stave as "Group 1, Group 2, etc."  Let
me know if this is proper syntax

Also, can one add a stave (ostinato part) somewhere in the middle of a
score?  I don't want to add the ostinato from the beginning with 24 bars
rest.

Thanks for any help.

Sterling MacNay

Re: two drum staves put together

Graham Percival

On 12-Jun-05, at 8:29 PM, Sterling Sympatico wrote:
> To put a second part in there would I:

Please see the doc section on Polyphony.  If you have questions about
it, ask again.

> I would also like to label each stave as "Group 1, Group 2, etc."  Let
> me know if this is proper syntax

... actually, do you want these parts on separate staves?  If so, ignore
the suggestion of polyphony; simply look at the SATB template and change
the \new Staff to \new DrumStaff.  If you need to modify the template,
see
the new doc section 4.2 Extending the templates.

> Also, can one add a stave (ostinato part) somewhere in the middle of a
> score?  I don't want to add the ostinato from the beginning with 24
> bars
> rest.

Yes, absolutely.  This is called ossia; searching in the index will
bring you
to the correct position.

It might also be implemented in LSR now; you could try searching in
there
as well.

... actually, the solution in LSR is nicer than the one in
input/test/ossia.ly
(which is where the index brings you to).  Look at that one first.  :)