\transposition does nothing?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

\transposition does nothing?

Jérôme Plût-2
I am typing a horn part in F. In the attached file, \transposition
does nothing. Where should I put it: at the voice, Staff, Score level?
The documentation (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions) is very unclear about this.

The file itself:


\version "2.19"

Ig = \relative {
  \time 4/4 \key g \major \partial 4
}
IcA = \transpose c g \relative {
  r4 R1 r8. c'16\f c4 r2 R1 d4\f r r2 R1*2 e2\p(^"soli" d) c4 r r2 R1*2 R1*5
}
\bookpart { \header { instrument = "Cor I (Fa)" }
\score { { \new Staff { \transposition f << \Ig \transposition f \IcA >> } } }
}
% note that this outputs a score in g major and not, as it should,
% in d major



Thanks,

--
        Jérôme

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

caagr98
\transposition doesn't affect the generated score, it only affects the
midi output. To transpose the score, do \new Staff { \transposition f
\transpose f c {...} }. (In your case, the << >> can replace the inner {}.)

On 05/31/17 19:09, Jérôme Plût wrote:

> I am typing a horn part in F. In the attached file, \transposition
> does nothing. Where should I put it: at the voice, Staff, Score level?
> The documentation (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions) is very unclear about this.
>
> The file itself:
>
>
> \version "2.19"
>
> Ig = \relative {
>    \time 4/4 \key g \major \partial 4
> }
> IcA = \transpose c g \relative {
>    r4 R1 r8. c'16\f c4 r2 R1 d4\f r r2 R1*2 e2\p(^"soli" d) c4 r r2 R1*2 R1*5
> }
> \bookpart { \header { instrument = "Cor I (Fa)" }
> \score { { \new Staff { \transposition f << \Ig \transposition f \IcA >> } } }
> }
> % note that this outputs a score in g major and not, as it should,
> % in d major
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello folks,

This subject comes from time to time : maybe \transposeMidi would be a better name?

JM

> Le 31 mai 2017 à 19:18, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
> \transposition doesn't affect the generated score, it only affects the midi output. To transpose the score, do \new Staff { \transposition f \transpose f c {...} }. (In your case, the << >> can replace the inner {}.)
>
> On 05/31/17 19:09, Jérôme Plût wrote:
>> I am typing a horn part in F. In the attached file, \transposition
>> does nothing. Where should I put it: at the voice, Staff, Score level?
>> The documentation (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions) is very unclear about this.
>> The file itself:
>> \version "2.19"
>> Ig = \relative {
>>   \time 4/4 \key g \major \partial 4
>> }
>> IcA = \transpose c g \relative {
>>   r4 R1 r8. c'16\f c4 r2 R1 d4\f r r2 R1*2 e2\p(^"soli" d) c4 r r2 R1*2 R1*5
>> }
>> \bookpart { \header { instrument = "Cor I (Fa)" }
>> \score { { \new Staff { \transposition f << \Ig \transposition f \IcA >> } } }
>> }
>> % note that this outputs a score in g major and not, as it should,
>> % in d major
>> Thanks,
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

David Kastrup
Jacques Menu Muzhic <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> This subject comes from time to time : maybe \transposeMidi would be a
> better name?

It doesn't actually _transpose_ a given music sequence but sets the
relation between printed and concert pitch from the moment it is
written.  This relation is used in Midi generation, but it is also used
when quoting music in print.

So I don't really like \transposeMidi .  \concertPitch might be better
(though the relation to c' is not really obvious in there).

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

Paul Scott-4
In reply to this post by Jacques Menu Muzhic
On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:50:28AM +0200, Jacques Menu Muzhic wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> This subject comes from time to time : maybe \transposeMidi would be a better name?

No.  It also set transpositions for quoteDuring and cueDuring irrelevant of
MIDI.

Paul

>
> JM
>
> > Le 31 mai 2017 à 19:18, [hidden email] a écrit :
> >
> > \transposition doesn't affect the generated score, it only affects the midi output. To transpose the score, do \new Staff { \transposition f \transpose f c {...} }. (In your case, the << >> can replace the inner {}.)
> >
> > On 05/31/17 19:09, Jérôme Plût wrote:
> >> I am typing a horn part in F. In the attached file, \transposition
> >> does nothing. Where should I put it: at the voice, Staff, Score level?
> >> The documentation (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions) is very unclear about this.
> >> The file itself:
> >> \version "2.19"
> >> Ig = \relative {
> >>   \time 4/4 \key g \major \partial 4
> >> }
> >> IcA = \transpose c g \relative {
> >>   r4 R1 r8. c'16\f c4 r2 R1 d4\f r r2 R1*2 e2\p(^"soli" d) c4 r r2 R1*2 R1*5
> >> }
> >> \bookpart { \header { instrument = "Cor I (Fa)" }
> >> \score { { \new Staff { \transposition f << \Ig \transposition f \IcA >> } } }
> >> }
> >> % note that this outputs a score in g major and not, as it should,
> >> % in d major
> >> Thanks,
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > lilypond-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

Kieren MacMillan
In reply to this post by David Kastrup
Hi all,

> I don't really like \transposeMidi .  \concertPitch might be better

+1

Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

David Wright
In reply to this post by David Kastrup
On Thu 01 Jun 2017 at 09:06:11 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:

> Jacques Menu Muzhic <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > This subject comes from time to time : maybe \transposeMidi would be a
> > better name?
>
> It doesn't actually _transpose_ a given music sequence but sets the
> relation between printed and concert pitch from the moment it is
> written.  This relation is used in Midi generation, but it is also used
> when quoting music in print.
>
> So I don't really like \transposeMidi .  \concertPitch might be better
> (though the relation to c' is not really obvious in there).

Would   \concertPitchMidC   hint at both meanings, and explain
that relationship?

Cheers,
David.

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: \transposition does nothing?

Paul Scott-4
In reply to this post by Kieren MacMillan
On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:33:33AM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > I don't really like \transposeMidi .  \concertPitch might be better
>
> +1
>
> Kieren.

+1

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Loading...