tie between voice & transpose a to g

MING TSANG
(hope this time the email will not be rejected by lilypond-owner}

Hi lily user:

I have a hard time coding cross voice tie.  I end up of spliting the chord into two voices. Please refer to pdf and .ly files.
1. How can I code so that it will be the same as ~original.png
2. Is it a lily pond feature that will transpose the whole score even there are two or more key signatures?

Thank you for your help.
Ming

transpose-AG_ED(1).ly (1K) Download Attachment
transpose-AG_ED(1).pdf (69K) Download Attachment
2013-04-09_160136_original.png (14K) Download Attachment

Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

Tim Roberts
MING TSANG [hidden email] wrote:

2. Is it a lily pond feature that will transpose the whole score even there are two or more key signatures?

Yes.  Some of the common uses of \transpose are to allow one to write the music in concert pitch, but print it out for a transposing instrument, such as a clarinet in Bb, or to take a choral piece written for one voice (soprano) and print it out for another voice (tenor).  You generally want to keep the modulations the same as the original, so you want all of the music transposed by the same amount.

I suspect you are thinking that "\transpose a g" means "take any music in the key of A and convert it to the key of G".  That's not what it means.  It means "transpose everything in the attached music down a whole step."

However, \transpose only acts on the music that you pass it:  If you only want to transpose one section, you can certainly do that.

organPart = {
    \transpose a g { ... section 1... }
    \transpose a f  { ... section 2... }
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

MING TSANG
Tim Roberts,
Thank you for the info.  I always transpose a whole song that contains only a key signature.  The is the first time I transpose a song with two key signatures. Thank you for your info.
Ming.

Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

Thomas Morley
2013/4/11 MING TSANG <[hidden email]>:
> (hope this time the email will not be rejected by lilypond-owner}
>
> Hi lily user:
>
> I have a hard time coding cross voice tie.  I end up of spliting the chord
> into two voices. Please refer to pdf and .ly files.
> 1. How can I code so that it will be the same as ~original.png

A workaround;

\version "2.16.2"

\relative c' {
        \key a\major
        \clef bass
        << {
                   \voiceTwo
                   \tieNeutral
                   < a fis' >1~
                   < a d fis>2
           }
           \\
           {
              \voiceFour
              \tieUp
              \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1.2
                   e'4 d2.~
                   \tweak NoteColumn #'ignore-collision ##t
                   \tweak #'X-extent #'(-0.1 . 0)
                   \tweak #'transparent ##t
                   \tweak Stem #'stencil ##f
                   d2
           }

        <b d>
}

Though, I really hope someone comes up with a better solution.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

MING TSANG
Hi, Thomas:

Thank you for the work-a-round. It displays great - true to the original.  Thank You.

Blessing,
Ming.

> (hope this time the email will not be rejected by lilypond-owner}
>
> Hi lily user:
>
> I have a hard time coding cross voice tie.  I end up of spliting the chord
> into two voices. Please refer to pdf and .ly files.
> 1. How can I code so that it will be the same as ~original.png

A workaround;

\version "2.16.2"

\relative c' {
    \key a\major
    \clef bass
    << {
          \voiceTwo
          \tieNeutral
          < a fis' >1~
          < a d fis>2
      }
      \\
      {
            \voiceFour
            \tieUp
            \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1.2
                  e'4 d2.~
          \tweak NoteColumn #'ignore-collision ##t
          \tweak #'X-extent #'(-0.1 . 0)
          \tweak #'transparent ##t
          \tweak Stem #'stencil ##f
          d2
      }

    <b d>
}

Though, I really hope someone comes up with a better solution.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

k-ohara5a5a
> 2013/4/11 MING TSANG <tsang94 <at> rogers.com>:
> > I have a hard time coding cross voice tie.
> > I end up of splitting the chord into two voices.

That is the way to think of the music in LilyPond's terms.  The tied note
is written with two notes, but is one sound and logically stays in one
voice.  The voices have different rhythms for a while, but then the join
to form a single chord.

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65 <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> [...]
> Though, I really hope someone comes up with a better solution.

That seems to work just fine.  What could be better?

You can struggle a bit less if you leave out the \voiceTwo, etc.
These set all the styles that help us distinguish an upper from lower
voice, but in this example of (probably) piano music, we don't have
that distinction so we do not want the styles.  The tied note D exists
in only one of the two voices.

\version "2.16.2"
{ \clef bass
  << {
    < a f' >1~
    < a f'>2 }
  \new Voice {
    \shiftOn
    e'4 d'2.~
    \once\override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t
    d'2
  } >>
  r2 }