tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Frédéric Bron
Using lilypond 2.6.4 on Windows (not cygwin)

In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second system
are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
\major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
deleted parts, the bug disappeared!

F. Bron

\version "2.6.4"

\include "english.ly"

                \context StaffGroup = AllInstruments <<
                        \context Staff = First <<
                                { \key af \major ef'1 R1*15 }

                        \context Staff = Second <<
                                { \repeat unfold 15 { b''2 b''2~ } b''1 }

                        \context Staff = Third <<
                                { \repeat unfold 15 { g'2 g'~ } g'1 }

Re: tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Erik Sandberg
On Monday 05 December 2005 08.42, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Using lilypond 2.6.4 on Windows (not cygwin)
>
> In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second system
> are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
> different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
> \major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
> to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
> deleted parts, the bug disappeared!

The problem can be fixed by inserting this:
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

--
Erik

Re: tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Mats Bengtsson-6

Erik Sandberg wrote:

>On Monday 05 December 2005 08.42, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>

>>Using lilypond 2.6.4 on Windows (not cygwin)
>>
>>In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second system
>>are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
>>different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
>>\major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
>>to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
>>deleted parts, the bug disappeared!
>>

>The problem can be fixed by inserting this:
>\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

Which is only available in  version 2.7.16 or newer, so unfortunately
not in 2.6.4.

Re: tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Frédéric Bron
Cannot find this in the doc. I have tried but it did not work:

\version "2.6.4"

\include "english.ly"

                                {
                                        \override Score.SpacingSpanner
#'average-spacing-wishes = ##f
                                        \key af \major
                                        ef'1 R1*15
                                }

                        \context Staff = Second <<
                                {
                                        \override Score.SpacingSpanner
#'average-spacing-wishes = ##f
                                        \repeat unfold 15 { b''2 b''2~ }
b''1
                                }

                        \context Staff = Third <<
                                {
                                        \override Score.SpacingSpanner
#'average-spacing-wishes = ##f
                                        \repeat unfold 15 { g'2 g'~ } g'1

F. Bron

Erik Sandberg wrote:

>On Monday 05 December 2005 08.42, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>

>>Using lilypond 2.6.4 on Windows (not cygwin)
>>
>>In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second system
>>are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
>>different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
>>\major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
>>to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
>>deleted parts, the bug disappeared!
>>

>The problem can be fixed by inserting this:
>\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

Re: tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Frédéric Bron

>>> In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second
>>> system
>>> are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
>>> different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
>>> \major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
>>> to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
>>> deleted parts, the bug disappeared!
>>>

>> The problem can be fixed by inserting this:
>> \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f
>>

> Which is only available in  version 2.7.16 or newer, so unfortunately
> not in 2.6.4.

Works fine in 2.7.17.
Thanks!
Frédéric B.

On Monday 05 December 2005 10.45, Erik Sandberg wrote:

> On Monday 05 December 2005 08.42, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> > Using lilypond 2.6.4 on Windows (not cygwin)
> >
> > In the following example, the ties at the beginning of the second system
> > are not typeset correctly. It seems that the problem comes from the
> > different key of the first instrument: if you remove the "\key af
> > \major", everythings looks fine. I had some difficulties to rediuce it
> > to such a small example from a big orchestral score because when I
> > deleted parts, the bug disappeared!
>
> The problem can be fixed by inserting this:
> \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

BTW:
Shouldn't the default setting of average-spacing-wishes be #f? How often is
the #t setting useful?

--
Erik

Re: tie at begin of system with transposing instruments

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Erik Sandberg wrote:

> BTW:
> Shouldn't the default setting of average-spacing-wishes be #f? How often is
> the #t setting useful?

virtually everywhere else? #f means: take the maximum. This messes up
all subtle spacing tweaks for multi-staff music.

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 13.00, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > BTW:
> > Shouldn't the default setting of average-spacing-wishes be #f? How often
> > is the #t setting useful?
>
> virtually everywhere else? #f means: take the maximum. This messes up
> all subtle spacing tweaks for multi-staff music.

OK (I didn't know the scope of that property).

In this case, the tie thing is a bug imho; lily should not produce dot-shaped
ties when sensible settings are used.

--
Erik