text in staff

Stephen Lumenta
hi everybody,
getting quite fluent in lilypond by now. it's even more fun using it,
if you get to know the app better.

one thing i'm still struggling with: how to put text in the staff?
the picture below has been done with photoshop (not the most elegant
way :) )
i tried the \markup command \lower put that didn't help.

any suggestions?
thanks,
stephen

text_in_staff.jpg (19K) Download Attachment

Re: text in staff

Doug Asherman
[hidden email] wrote:
> hi everybody,
> getting quite fluent in lilypond by now. it's even more fun using it,
> if you get to know the app better.
>
> one thing i'm still struggling with: how to put text in the staff?
> the picture below has been done with photoshop (not the most elegant
> way :) )
> i tried the \markup command \lower put that didn't help.

[ picture deleted ]

You can change the position of the text by doing this:

\override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -2)

You can play with the values, but basically, the first value is the x
and the second value is y.

After you're done, though, don't forget to:

\revert TextScript #'(extra-offset) unless you modified the override
with \once.

Doug

Re: text in staff

Kris Shaffer
The markup command is the correct way to do it, but instead of \lower, use
the "extra-offset" property.  For example,

        \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -10)
        c4^"markup"

will create a quarter note C, place the word "markup" above the staff, and
the extra-offset will shift it 0 staff spaces horizontally and 10 staff
spaces down.

--
Kris Shaffer
graduate student in music theory, Yale University

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:14:54 -0400, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi everybody,
> getting quite fluent in lilypond by now. it's even more fun using it,
> if you get to know the app better.
>
> one thing i'm still struggling with: how to put text in the staff?
> the picture below has been done with photoshop (not the most elegant
> way :) )
> i tried the \markup command \lower put that didn't help.

Re: text in staff

Mats Bengtsson-6
If you want to move something vertically, it's almost always better to
use the padding property instead of extra-offset. The reason is that
if you set padding, then LilyPond will realize that you have moved
something and migh for example add some extra spacing between the
staves to avoid that your moved text collides with the stave above.
If you use extra-offset, then LilyPond will not adjust the layout
of anything else. See the section "9.2.1 Common tweaks" for examples
of how to set the padding property.

     /Mats

Kris Shaffer wrote:

> The markup command is the correct way to do it, but instead of \lower,
> use  the "extra-offset" property.  For example,
>
>     \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -10)
>     c4^"markup"
>
> will create a quarter note C, place the word "markup" above the staff,
> and  the extra-offset will shift it 0 staff spaces horizontally and 10
> staff  spaces down.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: text in staff

Stephen Lumenta
thanks everybody,
the #'extra-offset command worked fine for me.
stephen