text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

12

text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Jan Nieuwenhuizen

Anyone tried 2.6.4 and got good results with text fonts on Windows?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6
I didn't notice any problems!

   /Mats

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Anyone tried 2.6.4 and got good results with text fonts on Windows?
>
>Jan.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> I didn't notice any problems!

Ok.  I tested my newly released Cygwin 2.6.4 and that works fine too.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.  Seems like we need people to ask to
run LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1 again (without typo's).

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> I didn't notice any problems!
>
> Ok.  I tested my newly released Cygwin 2.6.4 and that works fine too.

Waitaminute.  Did you install the -upgrade exe?  If so, could you
uininstall and test the full version (the support libraries were
rebuilt, that may have introduced a problem)?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6
I did use the full installation, not only the upgrade, but I didn't remove
the previous installation first.

Trying Uninstall + Install of mingw LilyPond 2.6.4 is unfortunately much
less successful. Double clicking on a .ly file or drag&drop onto the
LilyPond
icon doesn't produce anything. When I go back to version 2.6.3, it works
fine.
One problem is that I've never been able to run mingw LilyPond from any kind
of command line, neither with version 2.6.3 or 2.6.4 or earlier versions.
lilypond -h
does give a normal response but if I try anything else, it just
complains about
"unable to find file "ice-9/boot-9.scm" in load path"

When I set LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1 at the command prompt and run
lilypond -h, I get a number of warning printouts about missing files and
directories, but these are exactly the same both for 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.

I finally tried to install 2.6.4 on top of 2.6.3, which seems to work well
and all fonts are found as usual.

    /Mats

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:
>

>>>I didn't notice any problems!
>>>

>>Ok.  I tested my newly released Cygwin 2.6.4 and that works fine too.
>>

>Waitaminute.  Did you install the -upgrade exe?  If so, could you
>uininstall and test the full version (the support libraries were
>rebuilt, that may have introduced a problem)?
>
>Jan.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6
I just realized that I could run lilypond from the Cygwin command
line if I added the path to the mingw version to PATH. Then I could
also see the error message when running 2.6.4 (installed without a

 >>lilypond testfile.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.6.4
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-2", message: "can't open the module"

   /Mats

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> I just realized that I could run lilypond from the Cygwin command
> line if I added the path to the mingw version to PATH. Then I could
> also see the error message when running 2.6.4 (installed without a
>
>  >>lilypond testfile.ly
> GNU LilyPond 2.6.4
> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-2", message: "can't open the module"

Ok, thanks a lot.  Argh, this was a Cygwin bugfix, but only half of it
got into mingw.  I'll pull 2.6.4 for now.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Maurits Lamers-2
No,

I do have a problem with fonts with Lilypond 2.6.4.

I am using Lilypond 2.6.4 for Cygwin, because I want to integrate it
with TeX and the best way to do this seemed to be cygwin.

Lilypond itself runs fine, but when I use lilypond-book (with the
--psfonts option) it failes to extract Aybabtu-Regular from the
generated eps file, resulting scrambled lyrics.

I ran lilypond-book with the option -V to look if any weird failures
would turn up, but it doesn't seem to be so.

The only message that looks like it could be an error says: No file
tmpPFvOKG.aux. (This file however is present in the output directory).

Any ideas how to solve this?

regards

Maurits Lamers

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> GNU LilyPond 2.6.4
> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-2", message: "can't open the module"

I've prepared 2.6.4-2, would you like to give that a test?  It took me
longer than I'd hoped, but as a bonus you should be able to do

    PYTHONPATH="/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/lib/python2.4" "/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/python2.4.exe" "/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/convert-ly.py" --help

or something like that.  Not especially user friendly yet, but I'm not
sure if we should start the wild BAT files hunt again.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6
I just tried a clean installation of the new package and lilypond itself
works
like a charm. However, I couldn't manage to run python. For example, I would
expect /Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/python2.4.exe in a command window
to start the interpreter, but it seems that the command doesn't do
anything at all.

On the other hand, I just tried John Mandereau's hints:

- Install the latest stable version of Python from python.org/download using
  there Windows installer.

- Add .PY to the PATHEXT variable (if you just want to try it in a command
  window, simply do
set PATHEXT=%PATHEXT%;.PY
  otherwise do the setting in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
  -> Environment variables -> System variables)

- Add <LilyPond installation directory>\usr\bin\to your PATH

Then, you can run convert-ly without problems, for example:
convert-ly  -e  myfile.ly

However, midi2ly fails with  "ImportError: No module named midi"
and lilypond-book has some problems when it calls latex on the temporary
file.

So, the easy solution to get at least convert-ly up and running is to add
the above installation instruction to the web. If including python into
the package is much more work and you still need additional fiddling with
BAT files, then it seems an easier route to just try to automate the steps
that I did manually. (Of course, one additional issue is how it works on
Win98, I use WinXP.)

   /Mats

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> I just tried a clean installation of the new package and lilypond
> itself works like a charm.

Thanks.

> However, I couldn't manage to run python. For example, I would
> expect /Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/python2.4.exe in a command window
> to start the interpreter, but it seems that the command doesn't do
> anything at all.

That's not much.  You did set PYTHONPATH?  Try using -v to see what
the problem might be.

> - Add .PY to the PATHEXT variable

Yes, buth this needs additional registry settings, didn't want to do
that yet.

> However, midi2ly fails with  "ImportError: No module named midi"
> and lilypond-book has some problems when it calls latex on the temporary
> file.

Yes, .dll loading seems to be broken.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6

>>However, I couldn't manage to run python. For example, I would
>>expect /Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/python2.4.exe in a command window
>>to start the interpreter, but it seems that the command doesn't do
>>anything at all.
>>

>That's not much.  You did set PYTHONPATH?  Try using -v to see what
>the problem might be.

I did try that and all other possible flags and there's no output
whatsoever.

> However, midi2ly fails with "ImportError: No module named midi"
>

>Yes, .dll loading seems to be broken.

The primary problem is that the file isn't found at all, since the lines
adding to the python path are completely off relative to the windows
setting. The simple solution (already used for lilylib.py) is to move the
midi.dll to ...\LilyPond\usr\bin\, but then we see the problem you mention:

ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initmidi)

I'm trying to figure out what goes wrong with lilypond-book.

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> I did try that and all other possible flags and there's no output
> whatsoever.

ah, that's probably the -mwindows (gui) flag again.

> The primary problem is that the file isn't found at all, since the lines
> adding to the python path are completely off relative to the windows
> setting.

How is that?  Can't we get them completely ON? ;-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6

>>The primary problem is that the file isn't found at all, since the lines
>>adding to the python path are completely off relative to the windows
>>setting.
>>

>How is that?  Can't we get them completely ON? ;-)

Well, one reason is that you then would have to set the value of
the libdir variable at the top of midi2ly.py in the installation program,
since you don't know before then what installation directory was actually
used. Moving the dll:s and .py include files into bin\ seems a simpler
solution.

By the way, I think I have tracked down the problems with lilypond-book.
It's the redirect 1>/dev/null used in ly.system (lilylib.py), which doesn't
work in Windows. We worked around a similar problem some time ago
by introducing extra temporary files. I could make a more or less ugly
patch if you wish.

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> Well, one reason is that you then would have to set the value of
> the libdir variable at the top of midi2ly.py in the installation program,
> since you don't know before then what installation directory was actually
> used. Moving the dll:s and .py include files into bin\ seems a simpler
> solution.

Ok.

> By the way, I think I have tracked down the problems with lilypond-book.
> It's the redirect 1>/dev/null used in ly.system (lilylib.py), which doesn't
> work in Windows. We worked around a similar problem some time ago
> by introducing extra temporary files. I could make a more or less ugly
> patch if you wish.

Yes, but it would be nice to use the ugly/tempfile solution only where
it's necessary.

Jan.

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> On the other hand, I just tried John Mandereau's hints:

I have prepared 2.6.4-3 packages with python compiled for console and
incorporating John's hints (apart from downloading python manually :-).
For PATH, PYTHONPATH and PATHEXT to be set automagically, you may have
to reboot.  But other than that, the python scripts should work ootb.

Can you take a good stab at this again?

Jan.

$ cd LilyPond
02:57:38 root@Abbicci:~/LilyPond
$ PATH="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin:$PATH"
02:57:42 root@Abbicci:~/LilyPond
$ export PYTHONPATH='/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/lib/python2.4'
02:57:49 root@Abbicci:~/LilyPond
$ export PATHEXT=$PATHEXT:.PY
02:57:53 root@Abbicci:~/LilyPond
$ /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe
Microsoft Windows XP [versie 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

c:\Program Files\LilyPond>midi2ly.py --help
midi2ly.py --help
Usage: c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\midi2ly.py [OPTIONS]... FILE

Convert MIDI to LilyPond source.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?

Mats Bengtsson-6
Thanks for your efforts! However, is it really that hard to make a simple
test case yourself? There are still a number of problems to solve:

When you run from the Windows (XP) command window:

1. Python is still not setup correctly. For example, you get:
 >>midi2ly
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\midi2ly.py", line 24, in ?
    import getopt
ImportError: No module named getopt

2. More on Python. I tried to run it stand-alone and got:
 >>python
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Python 2.4.2 (#1, Nov  2 2005, 01:27:15)
[GCC 3.4.4 (mingw special)] on mingw32msvc2

  When I did
 >>set PYTHONHOME="C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\lib\python2.4

  it worked somewhat better, but it still doesn't find all modules:
 >>python
Python 2.4.2 (#1, Nov  2 2005, 01:27:15)
[GCC 3.4.4 (mingw special)] on mingw32msvc2
 >>> import sys
 >>> import getopt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named getopt

3. You still have to call lilypond with full path, otherwise you get:

 >>lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.6.4
ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
ERROR: Unable to find file "ice-9/boot-9.scm" in load path

  As far as I could see from the CVS change logs, it seems that you tried
  to fix this problem but it still doesn't work.

4. On the positive side: It seems that your settings of PATH, PATHEXT
  and PYTHONPATH work well, at least on WinXP after the first
  reboot.

    /Mats

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> Thanks for your efforts! However, is it really that hard to make a simple
> test case yourself?

Yes, it is.  To me, the whole Windows platform is some sort of ugly
black voodoo, as you can see from the snippets I sent, it works for
me.  Just as the previous release worked somewhat, except for argv0
relocation and dll loading.

I have leant that if something on windows `works for me', that's a
very useful first step, but it quite possibly doesn't work for you.

Any windows gurus want to step in here?

> There are still a number of problems to solve:

Thank a lot Mats,
Sigh.

>   When I did
>  >>set PYTHONHOME="C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\lib\python2.4

I do not think that PYTHONHOME will work, because it is in disharmony
with the directory layout that make install creates.  PYTHONPATH
should work...

> 3. You still have to call lilypond with full path, otherwise you get:

Hmm, how odd.  It is advertised that on Windows, argv0 is always an
absolute file name.  Anyway, this should be an easy fix

> 4. On the positive side: It seems that your settings of PATH, PATHEXT
>   and PYTHONPATH work well, at least on WinXP after the first
>   reboot.

Yay!

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

New and bug-free 2.6.4-4 for Windows [WAS: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Mats Bengtsson writes:

> Thanks for your efforts! However, is it really that hard to make a simple
> test case yourself? There are still a number of problems to solve:

Please have a look at the new and bug-free 2.6.4-4!  Python and argv0
relocation should both work now (at least, they work for me :-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: New and bug-free 2.6.4-4 for Windows [WAS: text font problems with 2.6.4 for windows?]

Mats Bengtsson-6
Python and midi2ly seem OK, but now lilypond.exe doesn't seem to do
anything useful. I tried:
lilypond -h
lilypond somefile.ly
both from a Windows command prompt and from within Cygwin and
there are no printouts or output files whatsoever. It doesn't make any
difference if I specify a full path for the executable.

Also, I noticed that the uninstaller (at least for some of the previous
versions) didn't
remove the changes done to the environment variables, so now I have .PY
both at
the front and at the end of PATHEXT, for example.

   /Mats