strange beam behavior

Scott Russell-7
Hello Lilypond folks,

I'm a (relatively) novice Lilypond user. I'm working on some non-measured (cadenza-like) material and have encountered a strange situation.

The five sixteenth notes of the 2nd figure in Line 3 ... c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] ... should all be beamed together. What I'm seeing in the output is the second flag on the d facing left all by itself, then the remaining 4 sixteenths beamed together with both flags. If I remove the first (unaffected) figure, the problem resolves in the second figure, but moves to the third figure. (It all makes sense if you compile and look at the output.)

On a related note, the way this code is currently edited, line 4 looks OK. BUT, if I remove the "modified" line 3, you'll see the same strange beam behavior in the "fis16 [ ( g" sixteenth notes in the middle of the line.

Any ideas on how to make these beamings work?

Thanks!

\version "2.6.3"

melody = \relative c'' {
\key g \major
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
\override Score.BarNumber #'transparent = ##t
\cadenzaOn

% #### Line 3 ####

% ORIGINAL - doesn't work - first figure OK, second figure wrong, third and fourth figures OK.
b4 ( c16 [ b a b ) d\staccato ] c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] d8 ( [ e16 d cis d ) f\staccato ] e8 ( [ f!16 e dis e ) g\staccato ] f!1\f \breathe

\bar "" \break

% MODIFIED - removed first figure - now it moves the error into the next figure - why?
c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] d8 ( [ e16 d cis d ) f\staccato ] e8 \( [ f!16 e dis e \) g\staccato ] f!1\f \breathe

\bar "" \break

%%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in first figure in line above

% #### Line 4 ####

e16 ( [ g f! ] ) cis! ( [ d e d ] ) \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(1.2 . 0) ais16_\markup {diminuendo } ( [ b c b ] ) fis16 [ ( g d'8 ) c b a g8. f16 ] f2 ( e4 ) \breathe

\bar "" \break

%%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in second figure in line above

\cadenzaOff

    \new Staff \melody
}

Best wishes,
Scott
--
Scott Russell

IT Support Engineer, Office of Information Technologies, University of Notre Dame
Instructor of Horn, University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College
Assistant Horn, South Bend Symphony Orchestra

205 DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
574-631-2698
ScottRussell[hidden email]

Re: strange beam behavior

tedneeman
Hi Scott,

Even though it is a cadenza, the beams still work in
4/4.  If you count it out, you will realise that the
beams are split in the natural place for 4/4 time.  To
override this, please read the Manual beams section in
the manual

Cheers,
Edward Neeman

--- Scott Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> #'extra-offset = #'(1.2 . 0) ais16_\markup
> {diminuendo } ( [ b c
> b ] ) fis16 [ ( g d'8 ) c b a g8. f16 ] f2 ( e4 )
> \breathe
>
> \bar "" \break
>
> %%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in second
> figure in line above
>
> \cadenzaOff
>
> }
>
> \score {
>      \new Staff \melody
> }
>

> Best wishes,
> Scott
> --
> Scott Russell
>
> IT Support Engineer, Office of Information
> Technologies, University
> of Notre Dame
> Instructor of Horn, University of Notre Dame and
> Saint Mary's College
> Assistant Horn, South Bend Symphony Orchestra

Re: strange beam behavior

Mats Bengtsson-6
But, the \partial command is supposed to fix that, isn't it?
There shouldn't be any need for manual beams.

   /Mats

Edward Neeman wrote:

> [...]
>>#'extra-offset = #'(1.2 . 0) ais16_\markup
>>{diminuendo } ( [ b c
>>b ] ) fis16 [ ( g d'8 ) c b a g8. f16 ] f2 ( e4 )
>>\breathe
>>
>>\bar "" \break
>>
>>%%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in second
>>figure in line above
>>
>>\cadenzaOff
>>
>>}
>>
>>\score {
>>     \new Staff \melody
>>}
>>

>>Best wishes,
>>Scott
>>--
>>Scott Russell
>>
>>IT Support Engineer, Office of Information
>>Technologies, University
>>of Notre Dame
>>Instructor of Horn, University of Notre Dame and
>>Saint Mary's College
>>Assistant Horn, South Bend Symphony Orchestra

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

SOLVED: strange beam behavior

Scott Russell-7
Hi everyone,

The \partial command did, in fact, fix this. Below is the revised Lilypond code and a link to the PNG of the 2 affected lines.

Making the first group of 5 16ths into a "partial bar" and explicitly specifying an invisible bar between the partial figure and the next figure solves the strange beaming in both lines.

Thanks for the advice, Mats and Edward!

melody = \relative c'' {
\key g \major % \minor
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
\override Score.BarNumber #'transparent = ##t
\cadenzaOn

% LOTS OF CUT CODE

% #### Line 3 ####

b4 ( \bar "" \partial 16*5 c16 [ b a b ) d\staccato ] \bar "" c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] d8 ( [ e16 d cis d ) f\staccato ] e8 ( [ f!16 e dis e ) g\staccato ] f!1\f \breathe

\bar "" \break

% #### Line 4 ####

e16 ( [ g f! ] ) cis! ( [ d e d ] ) \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(1.2 . 0) ais16_\markup {diminuendo } ( [ b c b ] ) fis16 [ ( g16 d'8 ) c b a g8. f16 ] f2 ( e4 ) \breathe

\bar "" \break

%%%% LOTS MORE CUT CODE

\cadenzaOff
}