spacing of gracenote beams

Amy McGlothlin
Hello

I'm currently working on an engraving project that involves the use of bagpipes.  I am using the bagpipe.ly include.  When using multipe gracenotes, the spacing of the stems within the beaming is not always even.  The first note with three gracenotes looks the way I want. The second you can see the spacing is not equal. This seems to only occur when the note interval between the gracenotes is very large as in the second example. Is there something I can adjust to make the spacing of the stems of the gracenotes equal in this case?

 \include "bagpipe.ly"
 {
 \hideKeySignature
  \time 6/8
 \dble e4 a8 \grip a4 g8
}

Thanks in advance

Amy

Re: spacing of gracenote beams

Andrew Bernard
Hi Amy,

You are not alone. My biggest - probably my only - gripe with lilypond is the uneven spacing of gracenote beams. I have attempted for a long time to solve this, or at least work around it, to no avail.

There's a function David Nalesnik wrote called \spaceStemsEvenly, but it is very hit and miss (no disrespect to David - I think it's a deep lilypond issue).

Bringing this up is good. Perhaps our colleagues have a solution nowadays? Or could this be added as an issue to address in future releases?

Andrew

Re: spacing of gracenote beams

Amy McGlothlin
Hi Andrew

Thanks for that info. It’s a little aggravating because I feel it distracts from the really great looking engraving that is otherwise produced.  I also think it’s probably something not many people run into as most classical music gracenoting is diatonic and adjacent notes.

I’ll give the function a try. At least now I know it’s not something I was overlooking.

Hopefully this is something that can be revisited.

Amy

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 16, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Amy,
>
> You are not alone. My biggest - probably my only - gripe with lilypond is the uneven spacing of gracenote beams. I have attempted for a long time to solve this, or at least work around it, to no avail.
>
> There's a function David Nalesnik wrote called \spaceStemsEvenly, but it is very hit and miss (no disrespect to David - I think it's a deep lilypond issue).
>
> Bringing this up is good. Perhaps our colleagues have a solution nowadays? Or could this be added as an issue to address in future releases?
>
> Andrew

Re: spacing of gracenote beams

Torsten Hämmerle
Amy McGlothlin wrote
> Is there something I can adjust to make the spacing of the stems
> of the gracenotes equal in this case?

Hello Amy,

While, as Andrew pointed out, grace note beaming in general may leave
something to be desired, the special bagpipe grace ornaments are a case of
their own:
Each of them has been specially defined in bagpipe.ly and I agree that the
spacing of \grip isn't very balanced because the second G "slips" below the
d far above.

But, fortunately, this can be corrected by just providing a custom
definition of \grip: when applying some extra \stemspace, everything can be
shifted to obtain a more balanced look. This has been done in some standard
definitions, it hasn't been done for \grip, though.

After including "bagpipe.ly", you can change/add whatever you want, e.g.:

  grip  = { \pgrace { G32[ \stemspace #'(0 . 0.4) d G] } }

\stemspace in this case just adds a bit of space to the right of the middle
stem.

And that's what it looks like (comparing n the original/adapted spacing):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/bagpipe-grace.png>

Beannachtaí,
Torsten

Re: spacing of gracenote beams

Amy McGlothlin
Thorsten,

You're the best.  This works beautifully. I've been able to not only fix the grip but also the b and c doublings and the taorluath as well.

Thanks so much, once I get all the embellishments the way I want them, then I will send out a revised bagpipe.ly to folks.

Amy

Amy McGlothlin wrote