shortInstrumentName vertical spacing

David Sumbler
In string parts, I often use more than one stave where a section is
divisi.  I write, for instance,

\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "2."

when one player (or sub-section) is required, or

\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = \markup \column { "3." "4." }

if two players need to play this line.  The default settings are fine
for this.

But I have a stave now which applies to 3 players.  If I put

\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = \markup \column { "2." "3." "4." }

it takes up rather too much space vertically, so I want to move the
numbers closer together.  But nothing I have tried so far makes the
slightest difference.  My latest version is:

\set Staff.shortInstrumentName =
  \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 6)
            \column { "2." "3." "4." } }

I felt sure that this would work, but it doesn't.  ("6" is a value just
for testing - obviously the value I want actually to use will be much
smaller.)

What am I doing wrong?

David

Re: shortInstrumentName vertical spacing

Noeck
Dear David,

Am 12.10.2018 um 18:02 schrieb David Sumbler:
> \set Staff.shortInstrumentName =
>   \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 6)
>             \column { "2." "3." "4." } }

Well, that works here.

{
  \set Staff.shortInstrumentName =   \markup {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.2)
    \column { "2." "3." "4." } }
  a1 \break a
}

What is wrong with the outcome? How do you use it?
To be more safe against the fact that the staffs settings might already
be defined when you use \set, you could use it in a \with block.

Cheers,
Joram

Re: shortInstrumentName vertical spacing

David Sumbler
Apologies.  I have no idea why, but this afternoon my code appeared to
have no effect on the spacing; this evening it works.  Yet I haven't
changed a thing.  Clearly something changed, but I have no idea what.

At least my original thought that "this ought to work" was correct!

David