set-global-staff-size rejects set-global-fonts settings

set-global-staff-size rejects set-global-fonts settings

CieMaKat .
Hi there.
I found that use of set-global-staff-size or layout-set-staff-size makes
set-global-fonts irrelevant.

Please find the minimal example:

\version "2.19.83"

> \paper {
>   #(define fonts
>     (set-global-fonts
>      #:music "gonville"
>      #:brace "gonville"
>    ))
> }
> %{ If the below line is present, Feta is used;
>    If the set-global-staff-size is removed, Gonville is used.
>    The same applies to layout-set-staff-size %}
> % #(set-global-staff-size 20)
> \score {
>   \relative c' { c d es fis }
> }

*When set-global-staff-size *is *present *Feta is used:
[image: image.png]

*When set-global-staff-size* is *commented out* Gonville is used:
[image: image.png]

I installed Gonville typeface as described in the documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/replacing-the-notation-font

The issue is not limited to Gonville font; I also tried *cadence *typeface with
the same result.

Best

image.png (10K) Download Attachment
image.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: set-global-staff-size rejects set-global-fonts settings

Malte Meyn-3

Am 18.10.19 um 10:54 schrieb CieMaKat .:
> Hi there.
> I found that use of set-global-staff-size or layout-set-staff-size makes
> set-global-fonts irrelevant.

The order is important: The font settings have to come *after* the staff
size.

I’m not sure whether this really is a bug or just not well documented …

Re: set-global-staff-size rejects set-global-fonts settings

Malte Meyn-3
Hi,

please always answer to the list.

Am 18.10.19 um 12:03 schrieb CieMaKat .:
> Thanks for your answer -- that's it. I couldn't find such restriction in
> the documentation.
>
> I'm facing another problem, which is related to the previous one. Looks
> like notation font is not scalled correctly.

You have to set #:factor. That’s another thing that might need better
documentation?

#(define fonts
   (set-global-fonts
     #:music "gonville"
     #:brace "gonville"
     #:factor (/ staff-height 20 pt)))

But maybe we should make a feature request for both “problems”:

1. Setting the staffsize shouldn’t reset the fonts.
2. Manually setting #:factor shouldn’t be necessary because it’s always
(/ staff-height 20 pt), isn’t it?

Cheers,
Malte