set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Hi there,

Is this a bug?

\version "2.21.0"
%#(set-global-staff-size 4)
\book {
  #(set-global-staff-size 4)
  \score {
    {\tempo 4=120 c4}
    \layout {}
  }
}

I'm trying to set the global staff size of a single book and I got
this strange result.

Am I using it wrong?
It does work as expected if you use set-global-staff-size alone in
file itself but then, all the \book{}s are concerned.

Yes a size of 4 is absurd but is quite obvious for debugging.

Thanks
--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

Thomas Morley-2
Hi Pierre-Luc,

Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 16:01 Uhr schrieb Pierre-Luc Gauthier
<[hidden email]>:

>
> Hi there,
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> \version "2.21.0"
> %#(set-global-staff-size 4)
> \book {
>   #(set-global-staff-size 4)
>   \score {
>     {\tempo 4=120 c4}
>     \layout {}
>   }
> }
>
> I'm trying to set the global staff size of a single book and I got
> this strange result.
>
> Am I using it wrong?

Yep, set-global-staff-size _must_ be set at top-level, outside of \book.

> It does work as expected if you use set-global-staff-size alone in
> file itself but then, all the \book{}s are concerned.

Though:

#(set-global-staff-size 4)
\book { { \tempo 4=120 c'4 } }

#(set-global-staff-size 14)
\book { { \tempo 4=120 c'4 } }

#(set-global-staff-size 24)
\book { { \tempo 4=120 c'4 } }

works here.

Cheers,
  Harm

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Hi Thomas,

> Yep, set-global-staff-size _must_ be set at top-level, outside of \book.

That's good to know.
The documentation got me going on using-it inside \book{}s.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size

> #(set-global-staff-size x)
> \book {}
> #(set-global-staff-size 14)
> \book { { \tempo 4=120 c'4 } }
> works here.

Yes, of course.

Thanks Thomas,
Have a good day
--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

Thomas Morley-2
Am Do., 25. Okt. 2018 um 19:03 Uhr schrieb Pierre-Luc Gauthier
<[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > Yep, set-global-staff-size _must_ be set at top-level, outside of \book.
>
> That's good to know.
> The documentation got me going on using-it inside \book{}s.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size

Hi,

Davide wrote me a similiar mail, asking whether it's a bug in the
docs. cc-ing him

But I don't thinks so.

Let me quote:
"To set the staff size globally for all scores in a file (or in a
\book block, to be precise), use set-global-staff-size"

I rather think it's misleading.

It means:
"To set the staff size globally for all scores in a file (or all
scores in a \book block, to be precise, because LilyPond wraps all
toplevel scores in a book anyway), use set-global-staff-size at
top-level".
Probably one should add:
If a file contains multiple books every books staff-size may be set by
inserting set-global-staff-size right before the relevant book.

Or similar, I'm not a native speaker ...



Cheers,
  Harm

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: set-global-staff-size *inside* \book {}

Davide Liessi-2
Il giorno gio 25 ott 2018 alle ore 20:18 Thomas Morley
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> Davide wrote me a similiar mail, asking whether it's a bug in the
> docs. cc-ing him

I'm sorry, I meant to send my message to the list with you in cc, but
I hit the wrong button...

> "To set the staff size globally for all scores in a file (or all
> scores in a \book block, to be precise, because LilyPond wraps all
> toplevel scores in a book anyway), use set-global-staff-size at
> top-level".
> Probably one should add:
> If a file contains multiple books every books staff-size may be set by
> inserting set-global-staff-size right before the relevant book.

This clarifies the matter, indeed.

Best wishes.
Davide

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user