segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Can I and if so how would I put a segno or coda, etc sign directly under
a rehearsal mark?

TIA,

Paul Scott



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
It's the same way as with \markup i.e.
^ is above _ is below
Older manual section 6.5.1 articulations

Atleast I think this is the answer.
Jay


> Can I and if so how would I put a segno or coda, etc sign directly under
> a rehearsal mark?
>
> TIA,
>
> Paul Scott
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
>




_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> It's the same way as with \markup i.e.
> ^ is above _ is below
> Older manual section 6.5.1 articulations
>
> Atleast I think this is the answer.
>  
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.  Saying I wanted it under a
rehearsal marks implied I wanted the segno, etc. over the barline.  
AFAIK we still can't use \mark twice at the same barline or get the
rehearsal mark by itself to put into a \mark \markup.  That is without
writing a scheme function which I'm willing to try if necessary.

If you do have the complete solution I'd be glad to see it.  Something like:

\mark \markup{ \column{ \line{ <current rehearsal mark> } \line{ \segno
} } }

where \segno is a shorthand for segno that I already have.

Thanks,

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Shamus Hammons
Paul Scott wrote:

> Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.  Saying I wanted it under a
> rehearsal marks implied I wanted the segno, etc. over the barline.
> AFAIK we still can't use \mark twice at the same barline or get the
> rehearsal mark by itself to put into a \mark \markup.  That is without
> writing a scheme function which I'm willing to try if necessary.
>
> If you do have the complete solution I'd be glad to see it.  Something
> like:
>
> \mark \markup{ \column{ \line{ <current rehearsal mark> } \line{ \segno
> } } }

It's probably not what you want, but I've found that

\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
\mark \markup { \box { A } \hspace #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }

is an OK workaround. The downsides are that the segno is printed to the
right of the rehearsal mark (not terrible in my opinion) and that lily
no longer keeps track of the rehearsal symbols for you, so you have to
keep track of them yourself. I'm sure there's a better way, but I'm also
pretty sure you can't use \mark \default in combination with any other
text markup. :-/

-- Shamus


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Shamus wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote:
>  
>> Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.  Saying I wanted it under a
>> rehearsal marks implied I wanted the segno, etc. over the barline.
>> AFAIK we still can't use \mark twice at the same barline or get the
>> rehearsal mark by itself to put into a \mark \markup.  That is without
>> writing a scheme function which I'm willing to try if necessary.
>>
>> If you do have the complete solution I'd be glad to see it.  Something
>> like:
>>
>> \mark \markup{ \column{ \line{ <current rehearsal mark> } \line{ \segno
>> } } }
>>    
>
> It's probably not what you want, but I've found that
>
> \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
> \mark \markup { \box { A } \hspace #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }
>
> is an OK workaround. The downsides are that the segno is printed to the
> right of the rehearsal mark (not terrible in my opinion) and that lily
> no longer keeps track of the rehearsal symbols for you, so you have to
> keep track of them yourself. I'm sure there's a better way, but I'm also
> pretty sure you can't use \mark \default in combination with any other
> text markup. :-/
>  
Thanks.  I had seen this discussion but couldn't find it with Google
yet.  I will probably use your solution.

I think it's also good that I put the vertical question on the list
since music is also published that way.

Thanks again,

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Paul Scott wrote:

> Shamus wrote:
>>>
>>
>> It's probably not what you want, but I've found that
>>
>> \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
>> \mark \markup { \box { A } \hspace #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }
>>
>> is an OK workaround. The downsides are that the segno is printed to the
>> right of the rehearsal mark (not terrible in my opinion) and that lily
>> no longer keeps track of the rehearsal symbols for you, so you have to
>> keep track of them yourself. I'm sure there's a better way, but I'm also
>> pretty sure you can't use \mark \default in combination with any other
>> text markup. :-/
>>  
> Thanks.  I had seen this discussion but couldn't find it with Google
> yet.  I will probably use your solution.
Oops!  The piece I am working on right now needs the bar numbers in the
boxes.  I guess I'll have to put the bar numbers in by hand or write
that scheme code.

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Richard Schoeller
I use the following definition.

markupSA =   \markup {
  \center-align {
    { \raise #0.2 \box \bold \huge "A" }
    { " " }
    { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }
  }
}

I then place that in a markup.  Then tweak the position (center, move up
or down, etc.).

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 21:44 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Paul Scott wrote:
> > Shamus wrote:

>
--
Dick Schoeller
mailto:[hidden email]
http://schoeller.hsd1.ma.comcast.net/
781.449.5476



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Anthony Youngman
In reply to this post by Paul Scott-3
Read the documentation on rehearsal marks. One of the default styles is
to use the barnumber.

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers

Incidentally, this will also probably get round the problem of keeping
track - I guess the problem is the rehearsal mark counter isn't
automatically updated in Shamus' workaround. Of course, if you're using
barnumbers as rehearsal marks you don't need to keep the counter
updated.

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From:
lilypond-user-bounces+anthony.youngman=[hidden email]
[mailto:lilypond-user-bounces+anthony.youngman=eca-international.com@gnu
.org] On Behalf Of Paul Scott
Sent: 30 June 2006 05:44
To: Shamus; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott wrote:
> Shamus wrote:
>>>
>>
>> It's probably not what you want, but I've found that
>>
>> \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
>> \mark \markup { \box { A } \hspace #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.segno"
}
>>
>> is an OK workaround. The downsides are that the segno is printed to
the
>> right of the rehearsal mark (not terrible in my opinion) and that
lily
>> no longer keeps track of the rehearsal symbols for you, so you have
to
>> keep track of them yourself. I'm sure there's a better way, but I'm
also
>> pretty sure you can't use \mark \default in combination with any
other
>> text markup. :-/
>>  
> Thanks.  I had seen this discussion but couldn't find it with Google
> yet.  I will probably use your solution.
Oops!  The piece I am working on right now needs the bar numbers in the
boxes.  I guess I'll have to put the bar numbers in by hand or write
that scheme code.

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

* ************************************************************************ *

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.

* ************************************************************************ *


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Anthony Youngman wrote:

> Read the documentation on rehearsal marks. One of the default styles is
> to use the barnumber.
>
> \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers
>
> Incidentally, this will also probably get round the problem of keeping
> track - I guess the problem is the rehearsal mark counter isn't
> automatically updated in Shamus' workaround. Of course, if you're using
> barnumbers as rehearsal marks you don't need to keep the counter
> updated.
>  
Hi Anthony,

You probably didn't read the whole thread (or the subject line:) ).  I
am using format-mark-barnumbers.  I just want to put a segno under one
and a coda sign under another.

If I'm wrong about what you are saying I'd love to have the rest of the
solution.

Thanks.

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Paul Scott wrote:

> Anthony Youngman wrote:
>> Read the documentation on rehearsal marks. One of the default styles is
>> to use the barnumber.
>>
>> \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers
>>
>> Incidentally, this will also probably get round the problem of keeping
>> track - I guess the problem is the rehearsal mark counter isn't
>> automatically updated in Shamus' workaround. Of course, if you're using
>> barnumbers as rehearsal marks you don't need to keep the counter
>> updated.
>>  
> Hi Anthony,
>
> You probably didn't read the whole thread (or the subject line:) ).  I
> am using format-mark-barnumbers.  I just want to put a segno under one
> and a coda sign under another.
I apologize in that I might not have been the least bit clear that I
wanted to use one of the automatically generated ehearsal marks.

Paul



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Daniel Johnson-2
Paul Scott wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote:
>> Anthony Youngman wrote:
>>> Read the documentation on rehearsal marks. One of the default styles is
>>> to use the barnumber.
>>>
>>> \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers
>>>
>>> Incidentally, this will also probably get round the problem of keeping
>>> track - I guess the problem is the rehearsal mark counter isn't
>>> automatically updated in Shamus' workaround. Of course, if you're using
>>> barnumbers as rehearsal marks you don't need to keep the counter
>>> updated.
>>>  
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> You probably didn't read the whole thread (or the subject line:) ).  
>> I am using format-mark-barnumbers.  I just want to put a segno under
>> one and a coda sign under another.
> I apologize in that I might not have been the least bit clear that I
> wanted to use one of the automatically generated ehearsal marks.
>
> Paul
A bit of research and hackery resulted in this:

%%% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE %%%
\version "2.9.9"

#(define (format-mark-barnumbers-segno mark context)
  (markup
    #:line
    (#:center-align
     (#:bold (number->string (ly:context-property context
'currentBarNumber)) #:musicglyph "scripts.segno"))))

\score {
        \new Staff {
                \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers-segno
                c'1 \mark \default
                c'1 \mark \default
                c'1 \mark \default
        }
}
%%% END LILYPOND CODE


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
Daniel Johnson wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote:
>> Paul Scott wrote:
>>> Anthony Youngman wrote:
>>>> Read the documentation on rehearsal marks. One of the default
>>>> styles is
>>>> to use the barnumber.
>>>>
>>>> \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers
>>>>
>>>> Incidentally, this will also probably get round the problem of keeping
>>>> track - I guess the problem is the rehearsal mark counter isn't
>>>> automatically updated in Shamus' workaround. Of course, if you're
>>>> using
>>>> barnumbers as rehearsal marks you don't need to keep the counter
>>>> updated.
>>>>  
>>> Hi Anthony,
>>>
>>> You probably didn't read the whole thread (or the subject line:) ).  
>>> I am using format-mark-barnumbers.  I just want to put a segno under
>>> one and a coda sign under another.
>> I apologize in that I might not have been the least bit clear that I
>> wanted to use one of the automatically generated ehearsal marks.
>>
>> Paul
> A bit of research and hackery resulted in this:
>
> %%% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE %%%
> \version "2.9.9"
>
> #(define (format-mark-barnumbers-segno mark context)
>  (markup
>    #:line
>    (#:center-align
>     (#:bold (number->string (ly:context-property context
> 'currentBarNumber)) #:musicglyph "scripts.segno"))))
>
> \score {
>        \new Staff {
>                \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers-segno
>                c'1 \mark \default
>                c'1 \mark \default
>                c'1 \mark \default
>        }
> }
> %%% END LILYPOND CODE
Thanks so much!  I am a developer (part-time now) and very busy at the
moment.  My Scheme skills are still pretty weak and I didn't have the
time to do what you just did.

Also I wanted this discussed on the list so that it might be a feature
some day.

Thanks again,

Paul




_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Paul Scott-3
In reply to this post by Daniel Johnson-2
Daniel Johnson wrote:

> A bit of research and hackery resulted in this:
>
> %%% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE %%%
> \version "2.9.9"
>
> #(define (format-mark-barnumbers-segno mark context)
>  (markup
>    #:line
>    (#:center-align
>     (#:bold (number->string (ly:context-property context
> 'currentBarNumber)) #:musicglyph "scripts.segno"))))
>
> \score {
>        \new Staff {
>                \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers-segno
>                c'1 \mark \default
>                c'1 \mark \default
>                c'1 \mark \default
>        }
> }
> %%% END LILYPOND CODE
Which inspired me to do this which is what I really wanted (boxed
rehearsal marks):

#(define (format-mark-box-barnumbers-segno mark context)
 (markup
   #:line
   (#:center-align
    (#:bold
     (#:box (number->string (ly:context-property context
'currentBarNumber)))
     #:musicglyph "scripts.segno"))))

Thanks again,

Paul





_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segno, coda, etc. below rehearsal mark

Markus Schneider-2
I was inspired by this thread to research this topic a little further,
regarding the remaining rehearsal mark styles (letters, numbers and
alhpabet).
The results are here:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=202

Markus

P.S. I put the musical symbols on top of the rehearsal marks, IMHO they can
faster be spotted during performance! :)





_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user