\score

Rob-56
Hello,
I'm new.

What is the use, function or whatever of \score.

Can't find it anywhere

Rob

Re: \score

Mats Bengtsson-6
Each \score block corresponds to one score in the output.
What probably confuses you is that it nowadays is optional in
most situations to explicitly use \score{...}, if you don't add it
yourself, LilyPond will figure out anyway.

One example when you have to use \score explicitly is when you
have several scores in the same .ly file (for example several movements)
and want to specify a separate title for each of them. Then you have to
put the \header block within the corresponding \score block, so LilyPond
realizes what belongs where. Same if you want to specify the tempo used
in the MIDI file for each separate score. Example:

\version "2.6.0"
\score{
  \relative c'{ c d e f | g1 | }
  \header{ piece = "First movement" }
  \layout{}
  \midi{\tempo 4=80 }
}

\score{
  \relative c''{ g e f d  | c1 | }
  \header{ piece = "Second movement" }
  \layout{}
  \midi{\tempo 4=120 }

Rob wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm new.
>
>What is the use, function or whatever of \score.
>
>Can't find it anywhere
>
>Rob

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: \score

Paul Scott-3
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> One example when you have to use \score explicitly is when you
> have several scores in the same .ly file (for example several movements)
> and want to specify a separate title for each of them. Then you have to
> put the \header block within the corresponding \score block, so LilyPond
> realizes what belongs where. Same if you want to specify the tempo used
> in the MIDI file for each separate score. Example:
>
> \version "2.6.0"
> \score{
>  \relative c'{ c d e f | g1 | }
>  \header{ piece = "First movement" }
>  \layout{}
>  \midi{\tempo 4=80 }
> }
>
> \score{
>  \relative c''{ g e f d  | c1 | }
>  \header{ piece = "Second movement" }
>  \layout{}
>  \midi{\tempo 4=120 }
> }

Can more than header parts than "piece" be changed now?

Paul Scott

Re: \score

Mats Bengtsson-6
Paul Scott wrote:

> Can more than header parts than "piece" be changed now?

Read at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-titles.html#Creating-titles
to find the answer.

Re: \score

Paul Scott-3
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote:
>

>> Can more than header parts than "piece" be changed now?
>>
> Read at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-titles.html#Creating-titles
>
> to find the answer.

I finally read that section as well as the section on multiple
movements.  From the examples I *might* infer that only piece and opus
can be changed in a new score.  I tried to change subsubtitle and
instrument using the CVS version of 12 Jan 2006 and was not successful.

Is there a way to have a movement title centered above the new movement
which is the way most orchestral parts I read are done?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: \score

Graham Percival-2

On 22-Jan-06, at 10:10 PM, Paul Scott wrote:

> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>> Read at
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-
>> titles.html#Creating-titles
>> to find the answer.
>
> I finally read that section as well as the section on multiple
> movements.  From the examples I *might* infer that only piece and opus
> can be changed in a new score.

That is correct.  If it isn't clear, I'll look at making it more clear.
  (or ideally, you could tell me how to make it more clear.  :)

> Is there a way to have a movement title centered above the new
> movement which is the way most orchestral parts I read are done?

The easiest way is to simply stick them in separate ly files.  The most
interesting way is to redefine scoreTitleMarkup.  (I think that's the
right name -- take a look at the bottom of "Creating titles".)

Re: \score

Paul Scott-3
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 22-Jan-06, at 10:10 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>>> Read at
>>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-
>>> titles.html#Creating-titles
>>> to find the answer.
>>

>> I finally read that section as well as the section on multiple
>> movements.  From the examples I *might* infer that only piece and
>> opus  can be changed in a new score.
>

> That is correct.  If it isn't clear, I'll look at making it more
> clear.   (or ideally, you could tell me how to make it more clear.  :)

Add to the current text in 10.1.13 Creating titles:

Here is a demonstration of the fields available. Note that you may use
any Text markup
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-markup.html#Text-markup>
commands in the header.

piece and opus are the only two header fields that can be changed in
subsequent movements (\scores) in the same \book.

>> Is there a way to have a movement title centered above the new
>> movement which is the way most orchestral parts I read are done?
>

> The easiest way is to simply stick them in separate ly files.

Can separate ly files be put on the same page without using LilyPond Book?

> The most  interesting way is to redefine scoreTitleMarkup.  (I think
> that's the  right name -- take a look at the bottom of "Creating
> titles".)

It's not clear how that will solve the problem of centered movement
names over individual movements *on the same page* (which I hadn't made
clear before).

Thanks,

Paul

Re: \score

Mats Bengtsson-4
Paul Scott wrote:

>>> I finally read that section as well as the section on multiple
>>> movements.  From the examples I *might* infer that only piece and
>>> opus  can be changed in a new score.
>>

>> That is correct.  If it isn't clear, I'll look at making it more
>> clear.   (or ideally, you could tell me how to make it more clear.  :)

However, the manual for version 2.7 also tells how to include
all headers for every movement, by setting the printallheaders
variable.

>>> Is there a way to have a movement title centered above the new
>>> movement which is the way most orchestral parts I read are done?
>>

>> The easiest way is to simply stick them in separate ly files.
>

> Can separate ly files be put on the same page without using LilyPond
> Book?
>
>> The most  interesting way is to redefine scoreTitleMarkup.  (I think
>> that's the  right name -- take a look at the bottom of "Creating
>> titles".)
>

> It's not clear how that will solve the problem of centered movement
> names over individual movements *on the same page* (which I hadn't
> made clear before).

With printallheaders=##t, you can use the ordinary title or
subtitle fields, otherwise you can redefine how the titles for
each subsequent score is printed, for example by

\paper {
  bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
   \fill-line {
     \fromproperty #'header:piece

which should center the "piece" field if I'm not mistaken.

Re: \score

Graham Percival-2

On 22-Jan-06, at 11:40 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
> Add to the current text in 10.1.13 Creating titles:
>
> Here is a demonstration of the fields available. Note that you may use
> any Text markup
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-
> markup.html#Text-markup> commands in the header.

> piece and opus are the only two header fields that can be changed in
> subsequent movements (\scores) in the same \book.

Mats had a good point -- did you look at the docs for 2.7?  I'd
forgotten that I'd changed these a few months ago... have a look at
them, and tell me if it needs to be more clear.  IMO, the 2.7 docs are
already clear on this point.

Re: \score

Paul Scott-3
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

>>> That is correct.  If it isn't clear, I'll look at making it more
>>> clear.   (or ideally, you could tell me how to make it more clear.  :)
>>
> However, the manual for version 2.7 also tells how to include
> all headers for every movement, by setting the printallheaders
> variable.

I have not seen that yet.  Ok.  I see the manual I am now looking at is
for 2.7.28 and what you say is there.  I now have no access to the
2.7.27 manual to see if that's why I missed it.

I see that printallheaders = ##t does what it says and prints all the
headers - even again for the first movement.  I only want some centered
movement title like much common printed music not all the titles, etc.
I'm not sure if your solution will do what I am describing.

I would think an ideal solution would be a "movement" header element
which did what I am describing working like piece and opus and being
centered.  Would you agree that movement name is more commonly centered
that instrument name even though I have seen examples of instrument name
in the center?

>>> The easiest way is to simply stick them in separate ly files.
>>

>> Can separate ly files be put on the same page without using LilyPond
>> Book?
>>
>>> The most  interesting way is to redefine scoreTitleMarkup.  (I think
>>> that's the  right name -- take a look at the bottom of "Creating
>>> titles".)
>>

>> It's not clear how that will solve the problem of centered movement
>> names over individual movements *on the same page* (which I hadn't
>> made clear before).
>

> With printallheaders=##t, you can use the ordinary title or
> subtitle fields, otherwise you can redefine how the titles for
> each subsequent score is printed, for example by
>
> \paper {
>  bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
>   \fill-line {
>     \fromproperty #'header:piece
>    }
>  }
> }
>
> which should center the "piece" field if I'm not mistaken.

It may take me a little while to test that and I'm not sure how to use
it yet.  Will that allow me to have different movement names since
\paper applies to the whole ly file?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: \score

Paul Scott-3
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 22-Jan-06, at 11:40 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> Add to the current text in 10.1.13 Creating titles:
>>
>> Here is a demonstration of the fields available. Note that you may
>> use  any Text markup
>> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-
>> markup.html#Text-markup> commands in the header.
>

>> piece and opus are the only two header fields that can be changed in
>> subsequent movements (\scores) in the same \book.
>

> Mats had a good point -- did you look at the docs for 2.7?  I'd
> forgotten that I'd changed these a few months ago... have a look at
> them, and tell me if it needs to be more clear.  IMO, the 2.7 docs
> are  already clear on this point.

I thought I had been looking at 2.7.  The page was in a browser in
another window on this machine.  It now appears to be 2.7.28 which makes
sense.  I must not have scrolled down far enough.

On this basis your documentation is very clear.

OTOH even after reading Mats' reply it is still not clear how to get
what I want and I still think 'movement' (name) - centered and
changeable like piece and opus as I have described would be a useful
addition to the header.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: score

Quoting Paul Scott <[hidden email]>:

>> With printallheaders=##t, you can use the ordinary title or
>> subtitle fields, otherwise you can redefine how the titles for
>> each subsequent score is printed, for example by
>>
>> \paper {
>>  bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
>>   \fill-line {
>>     \fromproperty #'header:piece
>>    }
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> which should center the "piece" field if I'm not mistaken.
>
> It may take me a little while to test that and I'm not sure how to
> use it yet.  Will that allow me to have different movement names
> since \paper applies to the whole ly file?

Just add these lines at the top of your file. It redefines how all the
titles are typeset. Here comes one complete example, which also
corrects a copy/paste error in the lines I wrote above.

\paper {
  scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
   \fill-line {
     \fromproperty #'header:piece

\score{
  \relative c'{c d e f}
  \header{piece = "Movement 1" }
}

\score{
  \relative c''{c d e f}
  \header{piece = "Movement 2" }
}

\score{
  \relative c'{c d e f}
  \header{piece = "Movement 3" }
}

Don't worry too much about that the field is called "piece", it
could just as well have been called "movement" or something else.