\score, \midi, etc.

Markian Hlynka

ok, I think I've solved several of my ongoing issues. But, I'm not
sure I understand why. I now have:
\score
     \time 4/4
     \context ChoirStaff
     <<
         \context Staff = bari
         <<
             \clef bass
             \context Voice = themusic \mainvoice
             \lyricsto "themusic" \new Lyrics \mainwords

         \context Staff = bass
         <<
             \clef bass
             \secondvoice

     }
     \layout{ }
     \midi { \tempo 4=20 }
}

But, I needed to put in the extra { } around the music inside there.
What's up with that? The templates in chapter three don't do this, so
I'm completely confused.

And then there's the midi thing. no matter what I set the midi tempo
to, I always hear the same thing. I'm using Lilypad... could that be
a cause? But I've tried exporting to a file and playing in an
external player, and it makes no difference!

Should I be setting up my score in a different way?

Thanks,

Markian

----
Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the
eyes.
                                                      --Mazer Rackham

Re: \score, \midi, etc.

Mats Bengtsson-6
I would recommend to move your \time command into (at least) one of the
Staff contexts. Then you can do
\score{
  \context ChoirStaff <<
    \context Staff = bari <<
      \time 4/4
      \clef bass

Note that the syntax for the \score{...} block is

\score{
  <music expression>
  <optional layout block>
  <optional midi block>
  <optional header block>
}
and that you only can have a single music expression at the top level
inside the
\score{...} block.

    /Mats

Markian Hlynka wrote:

> ok, I think I've solved several of my ongoing issues. But, I'm not
> sure I understand why. I now have:
> \score
> {
>     {
>     \time 4/4
>     \context ChoirStaff
>     <<
>         \context Staff = bari
>         <<
>             \clef bass
>             \context Voice = themusic \mainvoice
>             \lyricsto "themusic" \new Lyrics \mainwords
>         >>
>
>         \context Staff = bass
>         <<
>             \clef bass
>             \secondvoice
>         >>
>     >>
>     }
>     \layout{ }
>     \midi { \tempo 4=20 }
> }
>
> But, I needed to put in the extra { } around the music inside there.
> What's up with that? The templates in chapter three don't do this, so
> I'm completely confused.
>
> And then there's the midi thing. no matter what I set the midi tempo
> to, I always hear the same thing. I'm using Lilypad... could that be
> a cause? But I've tried exporting to a file and playing in an
> external player, and it makes no difference!
>
> Should I be setting up my score in a different way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Markian
>

> ----
> Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the
> eyes.
>                                                      --Mazer Rackham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing