scale degree numbers

Kris Shaffer
I'm trying to markup notes with scale degree symbols (i.e. an Arabic
numeral with a carat directly above it).  I figure I can use \markup
and \column and then adjust the spacing.  However, I cannot find how
to produce the "^" symbol in the markup.  I've tried escaping with

c1^\markup { \column < \^ 5 > }

which does not work, and cannot find any documentation explaning how
to use the carat in markup.  Any help would be appreciated.  I use
Lilypond 2.2.5 on Mac OS 10.3.8.  Thanks.

Kris

Re: scale degree numbers

Mats Bengtsson-6
Since you use version 2.2, the answer is to use LaTeX commands, for
example
c1^"$\\hat{5}$"
In version 2.5 and later, the answer will be something else.

    /Mats

Kris Shaffer wrote:

> I'm trying to markup notes with scale degree symbols (i.e. an Arabic
> numeral with a carat directly above it).  I figure I can use \markup
> and \column and then adjust the spacing.  However, I cannot find how
> to produce the "^" symbol in the markup.  I've tried escaping with
>
> c1^\markup { \column < \^ 5 > }
>
> which does not work, and cannot find any documentation explaning how
> to use the carat in markup.  Any help would be appreciated.  I use
> Lilypond 2.2.5 on Mac OS 10.3.8.  Thanks.
>
> Kris

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems