rest/mm-rest-markup

Thomas Morley-2
Hi David,

this refers to
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-07/msg00144.html
I opened a new thread, because this one will be about rest-markups only.

rest-by-number-markup and rest-markup were impemented by myself
commit ffa21bb1a55d2436bb432c4dff7ec04df95dc6f0
My second patch at all.

I saw no reason to distuingish rest and mm-rest in markup-mode, as we
need to do in music (one is an item the other a spanner). Hence I've
put them all in one markup-command.

Nevertheless, attached you'll find a first attempt to disentangle them.

What do you think?

Cheers,
  Harm

rest-rev-01.ly (10K) Download Attachment
dak

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

dak
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> this refers to
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-07/msg00144.html
> I opened a new thread, because this one will be about rest-markups only.
>
> rest-by-number-markup and rest-markup were impemented by myself
> commit ffa21bb1a55d2436bb432c4dff7ec04df95dc6f0
> My second patch at all.

Ah, I thought that it wasn't quite in the line of code I see you doing
these days.  A few corners looked like copying idioms of David Nalesnik
in cases for which they appeared overengineered.

> I saw no reason to distuingish rest and mm-rest in markup-mode, as we
> need to do in music (one is an item the other a spanner). Hence I've
> put them all in one markup-command.

Where is the point in having one markup-command that needs a flag to
distinguish two different cases that are so fundamentally different that
they even take different arguments?

Now the thing is that with the new change in place, we would not
necessarily _need_ different arguments: an integral multiplier larger
than 1 could be taken as a multi-measure rest count, like

{1*4}

So we likely _could_ get away with a single command: multipliers don't
seem to make much sense in the context of markup rests.  I am not sure
that is a good idea, though.  rest-markup would then have a convenient
way of its own to flag multimeasure rests while rest-by-number-markup
could not make use of it.

> Nevertheless, attached you'll find a first attempt to disentangle
> them.
>
> What do you think?

I have to take a look first.  I've been dry-musing yet.

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

David Nalesnik
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:08 AM, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> this refers to
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-07/msg00144.html
>> I opened a new thread, because this one will be about rest-markups only.
>>
>> rest-by-number-markup and rest-markup were impemented by myself
>> commit ffa21bb1a55d2436bb432c4dff7ec04df95dc6f0
>> My second patch at all.
>
> Ah, I thought that it wasn't quite in the line of code I see you doing
> these days.  A few corners looked like copying idioms of David Nalesnik
> in cases for which they appeared overengineered.

Goodness!  Hopefully, I'm not as guilty of "open coding" these days.

DN

dak

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

dak
David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:08 AM, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> this refers to
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-07/msg00144.html
>>> I opened a new thread, because this one will be about rest-markups only.
>>>
>>> rest-by-number-markup and rest-markup were impemented by myself
>>> commit ffa21bb1a55d2436bb432c4dff7ec04df95dc6f0
>>> My second patch at all.
>>
>> Ah, I thought that it wasn't quite in the line of code I see you doing
>> these days.  A few corners looked like copying idioms of David Nalesnik
>> in cases for which they appeared overengineered.
>
> Goodness!  Hopefully, I'm not as guilty of "open coding" these days.

Anybody else needs his toes stepped on while I'm on a run?

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

Thomas Morley-2

> David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Ah, I thought that it wasn't quite in the line of code I see you doing
>>> these days.  A few corners looked like copying idioms of David Nalesnik
>>> in cases for which they appeared overengineered.
>>
>> Goodness!  Hopefully, I'm not as guilty of "open coding" these days.
>
> Anybody else needs his toes stepped on while I'm on a run?

rofl

More seriously. I learned a lot studying your code, David N and David
K and from several others.
And I plan to continue this behaviour ;)

Best,
  Harm

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

Carl Sorensen-3
On 7/31/17 8:08 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>Now the thing is that with the new change in place, we would not
>necessarily _need_ different arguments: an integral multiplier larger
>than 1 could be taken as a multi-measure rest count, like
>
>{1*4}
>
>So we likely _could_ get away with a single command: multipliers don't
>seem to make much sense in the context of markup rests.  I am not sure
>that is a good idea, though.  rest-markup would then have a convenient
>way of its own to flag multimeasure rests while rest-by-number-markup
>could not make use of it.

I think that it is confusing to the user to have a multiplier be anything
but a duration multiplier.

We already have had problems with people thinking that

r1*4

is the same as

\repeat unfold 4 {r1}

If we go with this change on MMR, we will be reinforcing that
misconception.  It's some syntactic sugar that will make understanding
more complex, IMO.

Thanks,

Carl

dak

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

dak
Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 7/31/17 8:08 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
> <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Now the thing is that with the new change in place, we would not
>>necessarily _need_ different arguments: an integral multiplier larger
>>than 1 could be taken as a multi-measure rest count, like
>>
>>{1*4}
>>
>>So we likely _could_ get away with a single command: multipliers don't
>>seem to make much sense in the context of markup rests.  I am not sure
>>that is a good idea, though.  rest-markup would then have a convenient
>>way of its own to flag multimeasure rests while rest-by-number-markup
>>could not make use of it.
>
> I think that it is confusing to the user to have a multiplier be anything
> but a duration multiplier.
>
> We already have had problems with people thinking that
>
> r1*4
>
> is the same as
>
> \repeat unfold 4 {r1}
>
> If we go with this change on MMR, we will be reinforcing that
> misconception.  It's some syntactic sugar that will make understanding
> more complex, IMO.

Ok, this sounds reasonable.

Re: rest/mm-rest-markup

David Nalesnik
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Morley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Goodness!  Hopefully, I'm not as guilty of "open coding" these days.
>>
>> Anybody else needs his toes stepped on while I'm on a run?
>

> rofl

I laughed too.

> More seriously. I learned a lot studying your code, David N and David
> K and from several others.
> And I plan to continue this behaviour ;)

Can't say how much I've learned from studying code on the lists and
from feedback.  Best computer course I've had.

Best,
DN