\repeat volta question

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello folks,

What does the ‘5’ mean in:

  \repeat volta 5 {
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4
    \clef "treble"
    c'1
  }
  d1
  \bar "|."

Lily produces the following score, but where is the ‘5’ in it?

Thanks for your help!

JM

Re: \repeat volta question

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Jacques,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello folks,

What does the ‘5’ mean in:
[SNIP]

as I understand it, the number after the volta function doesn't do much on its own, but it enables you to specify alternate endings, as described here:

(look about a page down in the first subsection).

PastedGraphic-1.png (3K) Download Attachment

Re: \repeat volta question

Thomas Morley-2
Am Do., 21. Feb. 2019 um 19:50 Uhr schrieb N. Andrew Walsh
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Jacques,
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> What does the ‘5’ mean in:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> as I understand it, the number after the volta function doesn't do much on its own, but it enables you to specify alternate endings, as described here:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats
> (look about a page down in the first subsection).
>
> Cheers,

'unfoldRepeats' uses it, see:

\unfoldRepeats { \repeat volta 5 { c'1 } d'1 }

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: \repeat volta question

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno gio 21 feb 2019 alle 18:42, Jacques Menu
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hello folks,
>
> What does the ‘5’ mean in:
>
>   \repeat volta 5 {
>     \key c \major
>     \time 4/4
>     \clef "treble"
>     c'1
>   }
>   d1
>   \bar "|."
>

> Lily produces the following score, but where is the ‘5’ in it?

Hello Jacques

This has been discussed few days ago in this list.
See this issue:

At the moment you have to add it manually.

Re: \repeat volta question

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello Federico,

Thanks for the link, I had missed that!

I asked the question because xml2ly currently generates the following for that example:

Part_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \language "nederlands"
  \repeat volta 5 {
    <>^"5 times  %%%%% HERE
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4
    \clef "treble"
    c'1 |

  }

  d1
  \bar "|."
  | % 2
}

Should I make that an option, and if so, should '<>^"5 times’ be generated by default, or the reverse?

JM