repeat percent footnote

Gianmaria Lari
Is there any way to put a footnote on a repeat percent-like symbols?

Thank you, g.

Re: repeat percent footnote

Simon Albrecht-2
Am 18.05.2017 um 09:58 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:
> Is there any way to put a footnote on a repeat percent-like symbols?

Well, there should be. After all, the documentation for \footnote speaks
also of indirectly created grobs. However, I can’t say why

   \context Bottom <<
     \repeat percent 2 { c16 d e f }
     { s4 \single\footnote #'(1 . 5) "test" PercentRepeat s }

}

doesn’t work…

Best, Simon

Re: repeat percent footnote

Thomas Morley-2

Am 18.05.2017 um 09:58 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:
Is there any way to put a footnote on a repeat percent-like symbols?

Well, there should be. After all, the documentation for \footnote speaks also of indirectly created grobs. However, I can’t say why

  \context Bottom <<
    \repeat percent 2 { c16 d e f }
    { s4 \single\footnote #'(1 . 5) "test" PercentRepeat s }

}

doesn’t work…

Best, Simon

The grob is not PercentRepeat but RepeatSlash, so below works.

\repeat percent 2 { c16 d e f \footnote #'(1 . 5) "test" RepeatSlash }

It's not always obvious which grob is created by \repeat percent ...
RepeatSlash
DoubleRepeatSlash
PercentRepeat
DoublePercentRepeat
are all possible, iirc.

So I usually check with
\override grob-name-to-test . color = #red
before.

Cheers,
  Harm

Am 21.05.2017 um 22:38 schrieb Thomas Morley:
> The grob is not PercentRepeat but RepeatSlash

D’oh…
Yeah, checking is a good idea :-)

Re: repeat percent footnote

Simon Albrecht-2
Am 21.05.2017 um 22:38 schrieb Thomas Morley:
> It's not always obvious which grob is created by \repeat percent ...
> RepeatSlash
> DoubleRepeatSlash
> PercentRepeat
> DoublePercentRepeat

But why are those all different grobs? It seems unnecessarily
complicated – they could all be PercentRepeat grobs (I think
PercentRepeat is the most intuitive/fitting choice) with the stencil
drawing different things, couldn’t they?

Best, Simon

Re: repeat percent footnote

Thomas Morley-2

Am 21.05.2017 um 22:38 schrieb Thomas Morley:
It's not always obvious which grob is created by \repeat percent ...
RepeatSlash
DoubleRepeatSlash
PercentRepeat
DoublePercentRepeat

But why are those all different grobs? It seems unnecessarily complicated – they could all be PercentRepeat grobs (I think PercentRepeat is the most intuitive/fitting choice) with the stencil drawing different things, couldn’t they?

Best, Simon

Well, this decision was made long before I was around here, no clue whether you may find some reasoning in the archives.

Though, here some illustrating code:

  \new Staff {

    \override PercentRepeat.color = #red
    \override DoublePercentRepeat.color = #yellow
    \override RepeatSlash.color = #cyan
    \override DoubleRepeatSlash.color = #green

    <>^"PercentRepeat, red"
    \repeat percent 2 { c'1 }

    \break

    <>^"DoublePercentRepeat, yellow"
    \repeat percent 2 { d'1 e' }

    \break

    <>^"RepeatSlash, cyan"
    \repeat percent 4 { c'16 c' c' c' }

    \break

    <>^"DoubleRepeatSlash, green"
    \repeat percent 4 { c'8. c'16 }
  }

If we look closer at the grobs we may guess some thoughts why they are separated:

PercentRepeat is a spanner (and needs to be one), the others not. Every grob is an item _or_ a spanner, never both.
(So no chance to merge PercentRepeat with the others.)

DoublePercentRepeat is _not_ a rhythmic grob, and can't be one.
(So no chance to merge DoublePercentRepeat with DoubleRepeatSlash and RepeatSlash.

Not sure about RepeatSlash and DoubleRepeatSlash, though.
Also, I have no clue why DoubleRepeatSlash supports the outside-staff-interface, but RepeatSlash not.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: repeat percent footnote

Gianmaria Lari
Need again some help about footnote and repeat. Have a look to this example:

  \repeat percent 2 {c'8 d' e' f' \footnote #'(1 . 5) "This is a note on percent" RepeatSlash }
  \repeat percent 2 {c'4 d' e' f' \footnote #'(1 . 5) "This also"  PercentRepeat}
}

It works only for the first footnote. Where is my mistake?
Thank you, g.

Re: repeat percent footnote

Thomas Morley-2

> Need again some help about footnote and repeat. Have a look to this example:
>
> \version "2.19.60"
> {
>   \repeat percent 2 {c'8 d' e' f' \footnote #'(1 . 5) "This is a note on
> percent" RepeatSlash }
>   \repeat percent 2 {c'4 d' e' f' \footnote #'(1 . 5) "This also"
> PercentRepeat}
> }
>
> It works only for the first footnote. Where is my mistake?
> Thank you, g.

Not exactly sure why it not works, though "Known issues and warnings"
of NR 3.2.4 Creating footnotes reads:
"Footnotes cannot be attached to MultiMeasureRests or automatic beams
or lyrics."
PercentRepeat is supported by the multi-measure-rest-interface, it's
stencil is the procedure 'ly:multi-measure-rest::percent'

So my guess is that PercentRepeat is regarded by LilyPond as a special
MultiMeasureRest, with the same limitations.

Sorry, to be of not more help,
  Harm

Re: repeat percent footnote

Gianmaria Lari
I can live without it :) It was more a curiosity than a necessity.

Thank you anyway!
g.