rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Thomas Weber
There are two things about rehearsal marks in orchestral scores I'd like to know about.

Firstly, how can I separate rehearsal marks (and other structural stuff like \break or \pageBreak) from the actual musical content?  Can I somehow add a virtual staff to carry the rehearsal mark information?  I think I remember seeing something like that before, but I can't seem to find any documentation about it.

Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see, rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.

Thanks!
Thomas

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Urs Liska

Am 12.08.2016 um 16:30 schrieb Thomas Weber:
> There are two things about rehearsal marks in orchestral scores I'd like to know about.
>
> Firstly, how can I separate rehearsal marks (and other structural stuff like \break or \pageBreak) from the actual musical content?  Can I somehow add a virtual staff to carry the rehearsal mark information?  I think I remember seeing something like that before, but I can't seem to find any documentation about it.

Of course you can enter these in a structural Voice and add these either
to the top staff of the score or even to each staff (using polyphony).

But the better approach is using the edition-engraver
(https://github.com/openlilylib/edition-engraver) for the rehearsal
marks and probably the page-layout package
(https://github.com/openlilylib/page-layout) that wraps around the
edition-engraver.
This allows you to define independent named break-sets and apply them
with a single command (e.g. to define alternative page layouts
representing different manuscripts or target media).

Unfortunately this is still pretty undocumented :-(

HTH
Urs

> Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see, rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.
>
> Thanks!
> Thomas

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Urs Liska

Am 12.08.2016 um 16:30 schrieb Thomas Weber:
> Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see, rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.

I'm not completely sure but probably by \remove-ing RehearsalMark from
the Score context and \consists-ing to the staff-s you want them to appear

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Mark Knoop-4
At 16:30 on 12 Aug 2016, Thomas Weber wrote:
>There are two things about rehearsal marks in orchestral scores I'd
>like to know about.
>
>Firstly, how can I separate rehearsal marks (and other structural
>stuff like \break or \pageBreak) from the actual musical content?  Can
>I somehow add a virtual staff to carry the rehearsal mark
>information?  I think I remember seeing something like that before,
>but I can't seem to find any documentation about it.

Yes, the standard solution is to use a global variable which contains
things like rehearsal and tempo marks, meter changes, etc.

>Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top
>staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see,
>rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.

See this snippet http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1010 which defines
a custom context to achieve this.

Note this currently doesn't work well in a frenched score as the
MarkLine context can't know if the staves below it are still alive.
However I have just submitted a potential fix for this, see here
https://codereview.appspot.com/308910043/ for its progress.

--
Mark Knoop

Am 12.08.2016 um 17:29 schrieb Mark Knoop:

> At 16:30 on 12 Aug 2016, Thomas Weber wrote:
>
>> Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top
>> staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see,
>> rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.
> See this snippet http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1010 which defines
> a custom context to achieve this.
>
> Note this currently doesn't work well in a frenched score as the
> MarkLine context can't know if the staves below it are still alive.
> However I have just submitted a potential fix for this, see here
> https://codereview.appspot.com/308910043/ for its progress.

It's of course essential that rehearsal marks don't disappear when the score is frenched.  So thanks a heap for working on this!

Thomas

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

H. S. Teoh
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 04:30:01PM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:

> There are two things about rehearsal marks in orchestral scores I'd
> like to know about.
>
> Firstly, how can I separate rehearsal marks (and other structural
> stuff like \break or \pageBreak) from the actual musical content?  Can
> I somehow add a virtual staff to carry the rehearsal mark information?
> I think I remember seeing something like that before, but I can't seem
> to find any documentation about it.
>
> Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top
> staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see,
> rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.
[...]

I use the attached file for this purpose, which is based on code that
Kieran MacMillan gave me. Here's an example usage:

        \include "scoremarks.ly"

        % Put your score markings here, rather than in the instrument
        % parts.
        global = {
                \tempo "Allegro" 4 = 120
                s1*16
                \mark "A"
                s1*16
                \tempo "Largo" 4 = 45
                s1*16
                \mark "B"
                s1*32
                ... % etc.

                        % Basically, place ScoreMarks wherever you want
                        % the markings to appear in the score.
                        \new ScoreMarks { \global }
                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % wind section music goes here

                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % brass section music goes here

                        \new ScoreMarks { \global }
                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % string section music goes here

                \layout {}

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, yeah."

scoremarks.ly (1017 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Kieren MacMillan
Mark,

On Aug 12, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However I have just submitted a potential fix for this, see here
> https://codereview.appspot.com/308910043/ for its progress.

Thank you so much for doing this!
It will be a wonderful and helpful feature, when fully/properly implemented.

Best,
Kieren.

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

H. S. Teoh
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 04:29:41PM +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
[...]
> However I have just submitted a potential fix for this, see here
> https://codereview.appspot.com/308910043/ for its progress.
[...]

Thanks so much for doing this!! Looking forward to when I can have
ScoreMarks show up properly in frenched scores.

The two rules of success: 1. Don't tell everything you know. -- YHL

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Johan Vromans
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:21:22 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> global = {
> \tempo "Allegro" 4 = 120
> s1*16
> \mark "A"
> s1*16
> \tempo "Largo" 4 = 45
> s1*16
> \mark "B"
> s1*32
> ... % etc.
> }

Now if this would work with repeats and midi...

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:58:08PM +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:21:22 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > global = {
> > \tempo "Allegro" 4 = 120
> > s1*16
> > \mark "A"
> > s1*16
> > \tempo "Largo" 4 = 45
> > s1*16
> > \mark "B"
> > s1*32
> > ... % etc.
> > }
>
> Now if this would work with repeats and midi...
[...]

For midi, I generally recommend making a separate score dedicated for
midi, that's apart from the layout score. What I usually do is something
along these lines:

        fluteIPart = { ... }
        fluteIIPart = { ... }
        oboeIPart = { ... }
        oboeIIPart = { ... }

        % Score for layout only
                        \new ScoreMarks { \global }
                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                \new Staff {
                                        \partcombine \fluteIPart \fluteIIPart
                                }
                                \new Staff {
                                        \partcombine \oboeIPart \oboeIIPart
                                }
                                ... % etc.

                \layout {}
        }

        % Score for midi only
                        \new Staff << \global \fluteIPart >>
                        \new Staff << \global \fluteIIPart >>
                        \new Staff << \global \oboeIPart >>
                        \new Staff << \global \oboeIIPart >>
                        ... % etc.

                \midi {}

Try to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out. -- theboz

Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings

Johan Vromans
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:58:10 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> % Score for midi only
> \score {
> <<
> \new Staff << \global \fluteIPart >>

For midi, \unfoldRepeats is necessary.
Last time I tried, the repeats (in \global) were note applied to the music parts.

Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
doesn't work with midi.