quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Rutger Hofman
Good morning list,

when I end a \quoteDuring after a \repeat tremolo { ... }, the tremolo
beams are missing or distorted. If the quotation has nontremolo music
afterwards, there is no issue.

I didn't find a workaround. I tried adding a grace note or a
zero-duration note in the quotation, to no avail.

I would love to have a workaround as long as this has not been fixed.

version 2.21, self-compiled Feb. 12 2020.

Attached: .ly and .png

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam

tremolo-quote-event.ly (811 bytes) Download Attachment
tremolo-quote-event.png (35K) Download Attachment

Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Mark Knoop-4
At 12:52 on 21 Mar 2020, Rutger Hofman wrote:

> Good morning list,
>
> when I end a \quoteDuring after a \repeat tremolo { ... }, the tremolo
> beams are missing or distorted. If the quotation has nontremolo music
> afterwards, there is no issue.
>
> I didn't find a workaround. I tried adding a grace note or a
> zero-duration note in the quotation, to no avail.
>
> I would love to have a workaround as long as this has not been fixed.

You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event. See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices

--
Mark Knoop

Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

David Kastrup
Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:

> At 12:52 on 21 Mar 2020, Rutger Hofman wrote:
>> Good morning list,
>>
>> when I end a \quoteDuring after a \repeat tremolo { ... }, the tremolo
>> beams are missing or distorted. If the quotation has nontremolo music
>> afterwards, there is no issue.
>>
>> I didn't find a workaround. I tried adding a grace note or a
>> zero-duration note in the quotation, to no avail.
>>
>> I would love to have a workaround as long as this has not been fixed.
>
> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event. See:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices

Huh.  Why wouldn't that be the default?  This report triggered a Deja vu
with me; I thought it was fixed previously?  Or was this some other kind
of event recently added?

At 15:10 on 21 Mar 2020, David Kastrup wrote:

> Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:
>> At 12:52 on 21 Mar 2020, Rutger Hofman wrote:
>>> Good morning list,
>>>
>>> when I end a \quoteDuring after a \repeat tremolo { ... }, the tremolo
>>> beams are missing or distorted. If the quotation has nontremolo music
>>> afterwards, there is no issue.
>>>
>>> I didn't find a workaround. I tried adding a grace note or a
>>> zero-duration note in the quotation, to no avail.
>>>
>>> I would love to have a workaround as long as this has not been fixed.
>>
>> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event. See:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices
>
> Huh.  Why wouldn't that be the default?  This report triggered a Deja vu
> with me; I thought it was fixed previously?  Or was this some other kind
> of event recently added?

Apologies David, it is indeed now included in the default. I think I was remembering the same from a previous problem I encountered. Rutger - I'm not sure what is going on here.

--
Mark Knoop

Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Francisco Vila
El 21/3/20 a las 15:20, Mark Knoop escribió:
> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event

I knew this was the solution but still can not make it compile
correctly. There are many of

   warning: unterminated chord tremolo

   programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress
encountered for #'direction (Stem)

   programming error: Grob direction requested while calculation in
progress.

   programming error: ly:stem::calc-length called but will not be used
for beamed stem.

each repeated many times. Visually, the output is still the same.

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

Re: [Spam] Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Bugs mailing list
This 'unterminated chord tremolo' warning says all. Does an event like
'TremoloEnd' exist, which can be patched as a workaround?

Rutger

On 3/21/20 6:42 PM, Francisco Vila wrote:

> El 21/3/20 a las 15:20, Mark Knoop escribió:
>> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event
>
> I knew this was the solution but still can not make it compile
> correctly. There are many of
>
>    warning: unterminated chord tremolo
>
>    programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress
> encountered for #'direction (Stem)
>
>    programming error: Grob direction requested while calculation in
> progress.
>
>    programming error: ly:stem::calc-length called but will not be used
> for beamed stem.
>
> each repeated many times. Visually, the output is still the same.

Re: [Spam] Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Rutger Hofman
patched -> patched in

On 3/22/20 11:41 AM, Rutger Hofman wrote:

> This 'unterminated chord tremolo' warning says all. Does an event like
> 'TremoloEnd' exist, which can be patched as a workaround?
>
> Rutger
>
> On 3/21/20 6:42 PM, Francisco Vila wrote:
>> El 21/3/20 a las 15:20, Mark Knoop escribió:
>>> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event
>>
>> I knew this was the solution but still can not make it compile
>> correctly. There are many of
>>
>>    warning: unterminated chord tremolo
>>
>>    programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress
>> encountered for #'direction (Stem)
>>
>>    programming error: Grob direction requested while calculation in
>> progress.
>>
>>    programming error: ly:stem::calc-length called but will not be used
>> for beamed stem.
>>
>> each repeated many times. Visually, the output is still the same.

Re: Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

On 2020-03-21 17:15, Mark Knoop wrote:

> At 15:10 on 21 Mar 2020, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> You need to set quotedEventTypes to include tremolo-event. See:
>>>
>>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#quoting-other-voices
>> Huh.  Why wouldn't that be the default?  This report triggered a Deja vu
>> with me; I thought it was fixed previously?  Or was this some other kind
>> of event recently added?
> Apologies David, it is indeed now included in the default. I think I was remembering the same from a previous problem I encountered. Rutger - I'm not sure what is going on here.

Quoting tremolo repeats works correctly in 2.20 but didn't work in 2.18
(and also not in 2.19.83 if I remember correctly). For the record, I
used the following in my files, in version 2.18/2.19 (this is the same
solution that is used by default in 2.20)

\layout{
   \context {
     \Score
     \compressFullBarRests
     quotedCueEventTypes = #'(
     note-event
     rest-event
     tie-event
     beam-event
     tuplet-span-event
     tremolo-event)
   }
   \context {
     \CueVoice
     \override StemTremolo.beam-thickness = #0.35

Re: [Spam] Re: Re: quoteDuring and repeat tremolo don't work together

Rutger Hofman
For the examples I sent, 2.20 gives the same result as 2.21 (and any
previous version, as far as I know). I had also tried with cueDuring but
that didn't work either: no tremolos unless a "real" note follows in the
quotation.

Lilypond still reports these warnings/errors (line numbers apply e.g. to
the s1 quotes):

tremolo-quote-event.ly:26:5: warning: unterminated chord tremolo

programming error: Grob direction requested while calculation in progress.
continuing, cross fingers

tremolo-quote-event.ly:26:26: programming error: ly:stem::calc-length
called but will not be used for beamed stem.
     \repeat tremolo 16 {
                          c32 d } |

Can I do more to help pinpoint the errors?

Rutger