Quantcast

quotation marks in lyricmode

Urs Liska-4
Any hints possible on how to achieve quotation marks in lyrics? Preferrably the language specific (German) versions.

Thank you for any help
Urs

Re: quotation marks in lyricmode

Janek Warchoł
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any hints possible on how to achieve quotation marks in lyrics? Preferrably
> the language specific (German) versions.

"ordinary" quotation marks should be preceded with backslashes and
included inside external quotation marks:

{ b }
\addlyrics {
  "\"quote\""
}

to have other quotation marks, simply take advantage of Unicode
encoding - unicode recognizes several different types of quotation
marks and treats them as different characters.  The only problem is to
get them, since pressing " key on the keyboard gives the " character,
not one of the other quotations.  I usually work around this by
pasting from a word processor or, for example, wikipedia
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anf%C3%BChrungszeichen):

{ b }
\addlyrics {
  „modal“
}

(i don't know if the e-mail won't distort the encoding, but when i use
the code which i pasted above i get german quotation marks in Lily
output)

cheers,
Janek

Re: quotation marks in lyricmode

David Kastrup
Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any hints possible on how to achieve quotation marks in lyrics? Preferrably
>> the language specific (German) versions.
>
> "ordinary" quotation marks should be preceded with backslashes and
> included inside external quotation marks:
>
> { b }
> \addlyrics {
>   "\"quote\""
> }
>
> to have other quotation marks, simply take advantage of Unicode
> encoding - unicode recognizes several different types of quotation
> marks and treats them as different characters.  The only problem is to
> get them, since pressing " key on the keyboard gives the " character,
> not one of the other quotations.  I usually work around this by
> pasting from a word processor or, for example, wikipedia
> (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anf%C3%BChrungszeichen):
>
> { b }
> \addlyrics {
>   „modal“
> }
>
> (i don't know if the e-mail won't distort the encoding, but when i use
> the code which i pasted above i get german quotation marks in Lily
> output)

If you are working on a typical X terminal, you might use Multi-key (I
configured it to be Shift-AltGr) followed by ", to get „ and by "> to
get ” and by "< to get “.  In the same vein, you can use ', for ‚ and '<
for ‘ and '> for ’.  And, of course >> for » and << for «.

Re: quotation marks in lyricmode

Jan-Peter Voigt
This is almost, what I just was about to write ...
just another hint: you can also enter any character in a markup with the
\char command. The codes are 8222 and 8220.
If you want to circumvent \markup \concat { \char #8222 Ich }, you might
use a music-function, to wrap syllables in quotes.
I have done things like that, if you're interested, I can search for them.

Cheers, Jan-Peter

On 26.04.2012 13:12, Janek Warchoł wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Urs Liska<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Any hints possible on how to achieve quotation marks in lyrics? Preferrably
>> the language specific (German) versions.
> "ordinary" quotation marks should be preceded with backslashes and
> included inside external quotation marks:
>
> { b }
> \addlyrics {
>    "\"quote\""
> }
>
> to have other quotation marks, simply take advantage of Unicode
> encoding - unicode recognizes several different types of quotation
> marks and treats them as different characters.  The only problem is to
> get them, since pressing " key on the keyboard gives the " character,
> not one of the other quotations.  I usually work around this by
> pasting from a word processor or, for example, wikipedia
> (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anf%C3%BChrungszeichen):
>
> { b }
> \addlyrics {
>    „modal“
> }
>
> (i don't know if the e-mail won't distort the encoding, but when i use
> the code which i pasted above i get german quotation marks in Lily
> output)
>
> cheers,
> Janek

Re: quotation marks in lyricmode

Urs Liska-4
Thanks to all.
Janek's (simplest) solution just did it.
When I noticed that hitting " doesn't work because it's a special char,
I didn't think of the (obvious) fact that the other quotation marks
aren't special but ordinary Unicode characters ...

So copy and paste worked smoothly :-[

Best
Urs