problems with cues

Peter Gentry-2

It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my “erroneous” assumption that

\book {

     Page layout stuff for front page

}

\bookpart {

    Header & music

}

\bookpart {

    Header & music

}

Was a way to go.

Although this has worked over the years it doesn’t today.

If I just use \bookpart for each section all is well.

My trap was finding something that worked and using that as a template….

I have just  tried another old file and that too has failed, so possibly a recent minor change somewhere in  Lily,Fresco,or Windows  has highlighted my original sin.

There is no profit in trying to find the reason.

 Regards Peter

Re: problems with cues

David Kastrup
"Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> writes:

> It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
> assumption that
>
> \book {
>
>      Page layout stuff for front page
>
> }
>
> \bookpart {
>
>     Header & music
>
> }
>
> \bookpart {
>
>     Header & music
>
> }
>
> Was a way to go.
>

> Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.

A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
introduces a non-default book.

Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
so.

Re: problems with cues

Phil Holmes
If I replace the bits in the book/bookparts section with a single markup,
the only difference I can see between 2.19.80 and 2.12.3 is that the top
margin is slightly different and the later version includes a page number.

--
Phil Holmes

>> It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
>> assumption that
>>
>> \book {
>>
>>      Page layout stuff for front page
>>
>> }
>>
>> \bookpart {
>>
>>     Header & music
>>
>> }
>>
>> \bookpart {
>>
>>     Header & music
>>
>> }
>>
>> Was a way to go.
>>

>> Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.
>
> A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
> introduces a non-default book.
>
> Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
> different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
> something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
> change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
> so.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Re: problems with cues

David Wright
On Wed 11 Dec 2019 at 15:16:04 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:

> "Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
> > assumption that
> > \book {
> >      Page layout stuff for front page
> > }
> > \bookpart {
> >     Header & music
> > }
> > \bookpart {
> >     Header & music
> > }
> >
> > Was a way to go.
> >
> > Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.
>
> A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
> introduces a non-default book.
>
> Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
> different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
> something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
> change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
> so.
I just installed 2.12.3 and ran the attached. It gives the same
documents as 2.19.83 although their appearance is obviously different
wrt scaling of objects. 2.10.33 didn't understand \bookpart.

Cheers,
David.

sizes.ly (1015 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: problems with cues

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 11. Dez. 2019 um 15:16 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> "Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
> > assumption that
> >
> > \book {
> >
> >      Page layout stuff for front page
> >
> > }
> >
> > \bookpart {
> >
> >     Header & music
> >
> > }
> >
> > \bookpart {
> >
> >     Header & music
> >
> > }
> >
> > Was a way to go.
> >

> > Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.
>
> A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
> introduces a non-default book.
>
> Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
> different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
> something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
> change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
> so.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I think bookparts were introduced with:

commit dbefd4b8d0249c6a739d09118f3e0a71001c1c52
Author: Nicolas Sceaux <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sat Aug 23 18:34:30 2008 +0200

    Book parts: nestable book parts

    - Book and Paper_book instances respectively are nestable: children
      book or paper_book are added to the bookparts_ slot;

    - the paper_ slot of a child Book (or Book_paper) is created empty,
      and has its parent set to the paper object of the parent Book (or
      Paper_book), so that default paper properties are got from the
      higher level paper object, and child objects only store part-wide
      overrides. This way, we ensure that fonts are loaded in the higher
      level paper object, so that the output framework can get all the
      loaded fonts from the top level book;

    - a Paper_book::top_paper() method is added to access the higher level
      paper object, to access properties that are book-wide, for instance
      the table used to store labels and page numbers;

    - in the parser, \bookpart blocks are introduced, which can be used at
      toplevel, or inside a \book block. It can contain the same things as
      \book blocks (except \bookpart blocks, though that would be
      possible). The associated handlers are added.

Likely in 2.11.65, so obviously 2.10.33 can't cope with them, for
2.12.3 I can confirm David W's findings.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: problems with cues

David Kastrup
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am Mi., 11. Dez. 2019 um 15:16 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> "Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
>> > assumption that
>> >
>> > \book {
>> >
>> >      Page layout stuff for front page
>> >
>> > }
>> >
>> > \bookpart {
>> >
>> >     Header & music
>> >
>> > }
>> >
>> > \bookpart {
>> >
>> >     Header & music
>> >
>> > }
>> >
>> > Was a way to go.
>> >

>> > Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.
>>
>> A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
>> introduces a non-default book.
>>
>> Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
>> different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
>> something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
>> change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
>> so.
>
> I think bookparts were introduced with:
>
> commit dbefd4b8d0249c6a739d09118f3e0a71001c1c52
>
> Likely in 2.11.65, so obviously 2.10.33 can't cope with them, for
> 2.12.3 I can confirm David W's findings.

So for now I'd say that Peter's findings, troubling as they may appear,
cannot be traced to some fundamental unintended change of behavior of
LilyPond.  We'll definitely need something more definite and/or
reproducible to work with to propose any sensible remedy for the
problems he currently is encountering.