printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

Sandro Santilli-2
I'd like to leave some indications (rythmic, mostly)
for bass and guitar at the start of a piece. Right now
I'm doing this with a pencil, but I'm wondering how
to do it with lilypond. It could be a smaller PianoStaff,
on a line by itself. How could this be done ?

Thanks in advance

--strk;

Re: printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

Lukas-Fabian Moser
Hi Sandro,

> I'd like to leave some indications (rythmic, mostly)
> for bass and guitar at the start of a piece. Right now
> I'm doing this with a pencil, but I'm wondering how
> to do it with lilypond. It could be a smaller PianoStaff,
> on a line by itself. How could this be done ?

Can you provide a small image of what you want to achieve? Then I'm sure
some of the helpful folks on this list will be able to lend you a hand.

Best
Lukas

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:46:46PM +0100, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:

> Hi Sandro,
>
> > I'd like to leave some indications (rythmic, mostly)
> > for bass and guitar at the start of a piece. Right now
> > I'm doing this with a pencil, but I'm wondering how
> > to do it with lilypond. It could be a smaller PianoStaff,
> > on a line by itself. How could this be done ?
>
> Can you provide a small image of what you want to achieve? Then I'm sure
> some of the helpful folks on this list will be able to lend you a hand.

Here's a picture: http://strk.kbt.io/tmp/IMG_20200218_123321.jpg

--strk;

Re: printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

David Kastrup
Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:46:46PM +0100, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
>> Hi Sandro,
>>
>> > I'd like to leave some indications (rythmic, mostly)
>> > for bass and guitar at the start of a piece. Right now
>> > I'm doing this with a pencil, but I'm wondering how
>> > to do it with lilypond. It could be a smaller PianoStaff,
>> > on a line by itself. How could this be done ?
>>
>> Can you provide a small image of what you want to achieve? Then I'm sure
>> some of the helpful folks on this list will be able to lend you a hand.
>
> Here's a picture: http://strk.kbt.io/tmp/IMG_20200218_123321.jpg
>
> --strk;

Something like

\new Staff \with { \override StaffSymbol.line-count = #1
                   \omit Clef
                   \omit KeySignature
                   \omit TimeSignature
                   \omit LedgerLineSpanner
                   \omit BarLine
                   instrumentName = \markup \column { Gtr Bas }
                 }
<< { \stemUp r4 r r d'' } \\ { \stemDown g'4 r8 g' g'4 r } >>

would appear to do the trick.  You can use that inside of a \score
markup if necessary.  You have to see just which of the omitted material
you'd rather have.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 02:55:44PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> \new Staff \with { \override StaffSymbol.line-count = #1
>   \omit Clef
>   \omit KeySignature
>   \omit TimeSignature
>   \omit LedgerLineSpanner
>   \omit BarLine
>   instrumentName = \markup \column { Gtr Bas }
> }
> << { \stemUp r4 r r d'' } \\ { \stemDown g'4 r8 g' g'4 r } >>
>
> would appear to do the trick.  You can use that inside of a \score
> markup if necessary.  You have to see just which of the omitted material
> you'd rather have.

What happens if I prepend that staff to the rest of the lead sheet,
which starts with:

  leadSheet = {
    <<
      \new ChordNames {
        \harmony

Is that the new Staff continues instead of being interrupted.
I'd want it completely detached instead (and smaller).
Nice one, line-count, but I think I can deal with full staff as well.

--strk;

Re: printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

David Kastrup
Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 02:55:44PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> \new Staff \with { \override StaffSymbol.line-count = #1
>>   \omit Clef
>>   \omit KeySignature
>>   \omit TimeSignature
>>   \omit LedgerLineSpanner
>>   \omit BarLine
>>   instrumentName = \markup \column { Gtr Bas }
>> }
>> << { \stemUp r4 r r d'' } \\ { \stemDown g'4 r8 g' g'4 r } >>
>>
>> would appear to do the trick.  You can use that inside of a \score
>> markup if necessary.  You have to see just which of the omitted material
>> you'd rather have.
>
> What happens if I prepend that staff to the rest of the lead sheet,
> which starts with:
>
>   leadSheet = {
>     <<
>       \new ChordNames {
>         \harmony
>       }
>
> Is that the new Staff continues instead of being interrupted.
> I'd want it completely detached instead (and smaller).
> Nice one, line-count, but I think I can deal with full staff as well.
I repeat: "You can use that inside of a \score markup if necessary".

\header {
  composer = "myself"
  title = "Hark"

  \header {
    piece = \markup \score {
      \new Staff \with { \override StaffSymbol.line-count = #1
                         \omit Clef
                         \omit KeySignature
                         \omit TimeSignature
                         \omit LedgerLineSpanner
                         \omit BarLine
                         instrumentName = \markup \column { Gtr Bas }
                       }
      << { \stemUp r4 r r d'' } \\ { \stemDown g'4 r8 g' g'4 r } >>
      \layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 14) }
    }
    composer = "myself"
    \chords { c1 }
    \new Staff { c'1 }
    \addlyrics { Om. }

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".

Re: printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

Robin Bannister-2
  Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:46:46PM +0100, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
>> Hi Sandro,
>>
>> > I'd like to leave some indications (rythmic, mostly)
>> > for bass and guitar at the start of a piece. Right now
>> > I'm doing this with a pencil, but I'm wondering how
>> > to do it with lilypond. It could be a smaller PianoStaff,
>> > on a line by itself. How could this be done ?
>>
>> Can you provide a small image of what you want to achieve? Then I'm sure
>> some of the helpful folks on this list will be able to lend you a hand.
>
> Here's a picture: http://strk.kbt.io/tmp/IMG_20200218_123321.jpg

Here is an example (Mo' better Blues) using top-level markup.

Cheers,
Robin

motif.ly (351 bytes) Download Attachment
motif.png (5K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 03:51:39PM +0100, Robin Bannister wrote:

> Here is an example (Mo' better Blues) using top-level markup.

Thanks, the \scale hint was very useful.
Doing it before the \score block isn't convenient as I'd have
to repeat the insertion in every book. Using markup
in header seems ok for now, I'd only need some proper alignment,
as I'm currently doing this wild thing:

  piece = \markup {
    \italic "      With a beat                      "
    \scale #(cons 0.8 0.8)

The spaces I'm using to move the tiny score more or less at
the center of the sheet, but is fragile. Also the "With a beat"
text position is too high, it would be nice to have better
control over it.

--strk;

Re: printing a tiny pianostaff at the beginning of a score

Mark Knoop-4

At 07:56 on 19 Feb 2020, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Thanks, the \scale hint was very useful.
> Doing it before the \score block isn't convenient as I'd have
> to repeat the insertion in every book. Using markup
> in header seems ok for now, I'd only need some proper alignment,
> as I'm currently doing this wild thing:
>
>   piece = \markup {
>     \italic "      With a beat                      "
>     \scale #(cons 0.8 0.8)
>     \score {
>     }
>   }
>
> The spaces I'm using to move the tiny score more or less at
> the center of the sheet, but is fragile. Also the "With a beat"
> text position is too high, it would be nice to have better
> control over it.

Take a look at the \translate markup command.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/align

--
Mark Knoop