printfirstpagenumber has no effect

Vincent-35
setting the value of printfirstpagenumber to ##t in the \paper section
(nor in \layout) doesn't print the first page number unless I set
firstpagenumber to be > 1

curiously, if I set firstpagenumber = 0, the first page has number 0 as
expected, but then page "1" doesn't print thes page number.

if firstpagenumber is negative all pages print the number except page "1"
again :)

setting printfirstpagenumber to #t in the definition of
set-paper-dimensions in paper.scm has no effect either.

the only way I can print the number in page "1" is to replace the line:

\on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string

by:

\fromproperty #'page:page-number-string

in the definition of oddHeaderMarkup in "titling-init.ly".

I'm running version 2.5.29 windows native, WXP SP1. Version 2.4.6 cygwin
has not this problem.

thanks,

Vincent