print-function

Don Blaheta
In the docs for #'transparent, it says "This is almost the same as
setting print-function to #f, but this retains the dimensions of this
grob, which means that grobs can be erased individually."  Since I
actually *want* to blow away the dimensions of the grob, this
alternative seemed appealing, but when I added

          \override NoteHead #'print-function = ##f

to my file, I get a crap-ton of messages saying

  programming error: infinity or NaN encountered while converting Real number
  continuing, cross fingers

although it then lays out the music just like I wanted.  Is there a
better way to do this?  Or is this just a bug?

--
-=-Don Blaheta-=-=-[hidden email]-=-=-=-<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
London headline: SEVERE FOG ON CHANNEL, EUROPE COMPLETELY ISOLATED

Re: print-function

Mats Bengtsson-6
The problem is probably that stems and perhaps some other objects as well,
determine their position based on the position of the corresponding note
head,
so when you remove that particular print-function, you also remove a
prerequisite
for other parts of LilyPond to work. However, in general, setting
print-function to
false is a good method to remove the object completely. Another method
is to
completely remove the corresponding engraver, but at least in this
particular case,
I would expect possibly even worse problems due to interactions with other
engravers and objects.

   /Mats

Don Blaheta wrote:

>In the docs for #'transparent, it says "This is almost the same as
>setting print-function to #f, but this retains the dimensions of this
>grob, which means that grobs can be erased individually."  Since I
>actually *want* to blow away the dimensions of the grob, this
>alternative seemed appealing, but when I added
>
>          \override NoteHead #'print-function = ##f
>
>to my file, I get a crap-ton of messages saying
>
>  programming error: infinity or NaN encountered while converting Real number
>  continuing, cross fingers
>
>although it then lays out the music just like I wanted.  Is there a
>better way to do this?  Or is this just a bug?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology