\powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

\powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

Greg Swinford
> I'm not top posting.

\version "2.14.2"

newPowerChordSymbol = {
  <c g>-\markup { \super "5" }
}

chExceptions = #( append
  ( sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions newPowerChordSymbol #t)
  ignatzekExceptions)

music = \chordmode {c:7 c:1.5 c:sus4}

\new ChordNames \chordmode {
% the 5 is currently much bigger than the 7 or sus4
  \powerChords \music
% it should match the size of the other numbers
  \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions \music

Re: \powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

Eluze
Greg Swinford wrote
> I'm not top posting.

\version "2.14.2"

newPowerChordSymbol = {
  <c g>-\markup { \super "5" }
}

chExceptions = #( append
  ( sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions newPowerChordSymbol #t)
  ignatzekExceptions)

music = \chordmode {c:7 c:1.5 c:sus4}

\new ChordNames \chordmode {
% the 5 is currently much bigger than the 7 or sus4
  \powerChords \music
% it should match the size of the other numbers
  \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions \music
}
please have a look at http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names

Selected Snippets

Chord name exceptions

it's important to put the music after  setting \set chordNameExceptions = …

Eluze

Re: \powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

Thomas Morley
2013/4/14 Eluze <[hidden email]>:

> Greg Swinford wrote
>>> I'm not top posting.
>>
>> \version "2.14.2"
>>
>> newPowerChordSymbol = {
>>
>> <c g>
>> -\markup { \super "5" }
>> }
>>
>> chExceptions = #( append
>>   ( sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions newPowerChordSymbol #t)
>>   ignatzekExceptions)
>>
>> music = \chordmode {c:7 c:1.5 c:sus4}
>>
>> \new ChordNames \chordmode {
>> % the 5 is currently much bigger than the 7 or sus4
>>   \powerChords \music
>> % it should match the size of the other numbers
>>   \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions \music
>> }
>
> please have a look at
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names
>
> Selected Snippets
>
> Chord name exceptions
>
> it's important to put the music /after/  setting \set chordNameExceptions =
> …
>
> Eluze
Hi Eluze,

I read Greg's post different.

Currently `powerChordSymbol´ is defined in /ly/chord-modifiers.ly and
finally used with `powerChords´ from `/ly/property-init.ly´

`powerChordSymbol´ is defined:

powerChordSymbol = {
  <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
  <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
}

resulting in a normal-sized "5", not like other numbers in chords.

Therefore it is not a bug (it is indeed the intended behaviour),
though, Greg requests to give the "5" the same, smaller size and he
provides a method how to do it.

BTW, Greg refers to 2.14.2, though, it's the same with 2.17.15.

I think it's a legitimate feature request.
And I lean to agree with him.

png attached,

Cheers,
  Harm

powerChords-request.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: \powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

Federico Bruni
2013/4/14 Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>

> BTW, Greg refers to 2.14.2, though, it's the same with 2.17.15.
>
> I think it's a legitimate feature request.
> And I lean to agree with him.

Thanks Greg and Harm, added the issue:

Re: \powerChords produces superscript 5 that is too large

Eluze
Thomas Morley wrote
2013/4/14 Eluze <[hidden email]>:
> Greg Swinford wrote
>>> I'm not top posting.
>>
>> \version "2.14.2"
>>
>> newPowerChordSymbol = {
>>
>> <c g>
>> -\markup { \super "5" }
>> }
>>
>> chExceptions = #( append
>>   ( sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions newPowerChordSymbol #t)
>>   ignatzekExceptions)
>>
>> music = \chordmode {c:7 c:1.5 c:sus4}
>>
>> \new ChordNames \chordmode {
>> % the 5 is currently much bigger than the 7 or sus4
>>   \powerChords \music
>> % it should match the size of the other numbers
>>   \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions \music
>> }
>
> please have a look at
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names
>
> Selected Snippets
>
> Chord name exceptions
>
> it's important to put the music /after/  setting \set chordNameExceptions =
> …
>
> Eluze

Hi Eluze,

I read Greg's post different.

Currently `powerChordSymbol´ is defined in /ly/chord-modifiers.ly and
finally used with `powerChords´ from `/ly/property-init.ly´

`powerChordSymbol´ is defined:

powerChordSymbol = {
  <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
  <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
}

resulting in a normal-sized "5", not like other numbers in chords.

Therefore it is not a bug (it is indeed the intended behaviour),
though, Greg requests to give the "5" the same, smaller size and he
provides a method how to do it.

BTW, Greg refers to 2.14.2, though, it's the same with 2.17.15.

I think it's a legitimate feature request.
And I lean to agree with him.
ah -sorry, I didn't read the code to the end and overlooked the last \music

what's the intention to make the "5" bigger than the other numbers?

Eluze

2013/4/14 Eluze <[hidden email]>:

> what's the intention to make the "5" bigger than the other numbers?
>
> Eluze

I found
http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/Power-chords-td5524246.html#a5524246
and