position text markup relative to barline

position text markup relative to barline

Daniel McBrearty
Hi all,

Must say I like this software, just discovered it a few days back.
Been working on a chart the last few days and learning as I go. Very
impressive output, and I like the structured way of inputting notes
... one thing I like is that lp allows me to structure musical
sections. I have include files that define the parts that given
instruments have for various parts of the song, and then top level
files that define scores for individual instruments or all. So, from
the same set of incudes, I can generate a piano reduction with or
without vocal line, or a "lead sheet" (melody line with chords, with
or without lyrics ... )

This approach though leads me to want to put markings like "DS al
Fine" between sections, like this:

pianoright = { \pianoRightIntro \pianoRightChorus \pianoRightVerse ... }

and now my "Fine" mark might want to sit between two sections like this:

\pianoRightChorus ^"Fine" \pianoRightVerse

Problem is that as the text needs to be linked to a note, not inserted
between sections like this, that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

thank you!

Daniel

--
sax, clarinet, guitar, vocals, composer
http://www.danielmcbrearty.com

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Daniel McBrearty
thanks James. I tried it, for some reason it works in one place not another ...

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  { \melodyintro
    \repeat volta 2 {\melodychorus
                     \mark \markup "Fine" % this Fine indeed works "Fine"
                     \bar "||"}
    \alternative {{\melodyvone}
                 {\melodyvtwo}}
 \mark \markup "D.S. Al Fine" % this doesn't show ??? maybe pushed off
edge of page ???
 \bar "|."

Must be  a silly reason, I searched for a manual entry on \mark
\markup ... but could not find?

thanks again

Daniel

--
sax, clarinet, guitar, vocals, composer
http://www.danielmcbrearty.com

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Neil Puttock
2009/10/11 Daniel McBrearty <[hidden email]>:

> Must be  a silly reason, I searched for a manual entry on \mark
> \markup ... but could not find?

Did you check the index?  There are two main places it's discussed in
the Notation manual.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Bars#index-_005cmark

You'll find the solution to your problem in the first snippet at the
bottom of this section:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Writing-text#index-_005cmark-2

Regards,
Neil

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Daniel McBrearty
thanks that looks exactly like it, but still no joy :

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  { \melodyintro
    \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }
    \repeat volta 2 {\melodychorus
                     \mark \markup "Fine"
                     \bar "||"}
    \alternative {{\melodyvone}
                 {\melodyvtwo}}
 \bar "|."
 \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
 \mark "D.S. Al Fine" % I am invisible ...

but that does seem to be the issue - add a dummy bar and all is well
(except the unwanted empty bar)

 \bar "|."
 \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
 \mark "D.S. Al Fine" % now I'm good!
 {s1}

--
sax, clarinet, guitar, vocals, composer
http://www.danielmcbrearty.com

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Neil Puttock
2009/10/11 Daniel McBrearty <[hidden email]>:

>  \mark "D.S. Al Fine" % I am invisible ...

There are two overrides in the example; the first changes the
visibility of the rehearsal mark so it can appear at the end of a line
(whether there's another line after the break or it's the end of a
score doesn't matter):

\override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible

#end-of-line-visible would also work (and is probably easier to understand).

Regards,
Neil

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Daniel McBrearty
> There are two overrides in the example; the first changes the
> visibility of the rehearsal mark so it can appear at the end of a line
> (whether there's another line after the break or it's the end of a
> score doesn't matter):

thank you so much! that was it ...

Re: position text markup relative to barline

Paul Scott-3
James E. Bailey wrote:
> I don't know exactly how your music is set up, but \mark may be what you
> want.

Or s4*0\markup{ Fine }

Paul Scott