polychords: a working solution

1234 ... 6

polychords: a working solution

Jean-Alexis Montignies-2
Hi,

For those interested, I've came to a satisfactory solution for me to display polychords.

Here's a working code, though to be complete, it would require adding all the possibilities in the exceptions. I'll add the specific chords as I'll need them.
As you can see you have to set two variables when you want to use this notation, which is done by the macros \cmPoly , \cmJazz to go back to the default behavior.

Thanks for all the help I received to come to this solution!

Jean-Alexis

polychordsDemo.ly (2K) Download Attachment

Re: polychords: a working solution

pkx166h
Hello,

On 3 February 2012 09:27, Jean-Alexis Montignies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those interested, I've came to a satisfactory solution for me to display polychords.
>
> Here's a working code, though to be complete, it would require adding all the possibilities in the exceptions. I'll add the specific chords as I'll need them.
> As you can see you have to set two variables when you want to use this notation, which is done by the macros \cmPoly , \cmJazz to go back to the default behavior.
>

> Thanks for all the help I received to come to this solution!
>
> Jean-Alexis

For those too lazy to download and run the .ly

Attached is the output

James

Capture.PNG (27K) Download Attachment

Re: polychords: a working solution

Tim McNamara

On Feb 3, 2012, at 2:07 PM, James wrote:

> Attached is the output

Those look good!  "Nice job" to the OP!

But for that last chord with all the "add" stuff- is that the default output?  Yuck.  The repetitive use of the word "add" should not happen, although I have no clue how to fix it and offer a solution so I should stop bitching...

Re: polychords: a working solution

Janek Warchoł
2012/2/3 Tim McNamara <[hidden email]>:

> On Feb 3, 2012, at 2:07 PM, James wrote:
>
>> Attached is the output
>
> Those look good!  "Nice job" to the OP!

+1!

Re: polychords: a working solution

Carl Sorensen-3

On 2/3/12 1:43 PM, "Tim McNamara" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Feb 3, 2012, at 2:07 PM, James wrote:
>
>> Attached is the output
>
>Those look good!  "Nice job" to the OP!
>
>But for that last chord with all the "add" stuff- is that the default
>output?  Yuck.  The repetitive use of the word "add" should not happen,
>although I have no clue how to fix it and offer a solution so I should
>stop bitching...

The latest development version eliminates all the "add" stuff.

Thanks,

Carl

On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 2/3/12 1:43 PM, "Tim McNamara" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 3, 2012, at 2:07 PM, James wrote:
>>
>>> Attached is the output
>>
>> Those look good!  "Nice job" to the OP!
>>
>> But for that last chord with all the "add" stuff- is that the default
>> output?  Yuck.  The repetitive use of the word "add" should not happen,
>> although I have no clue how to fix it and offer a solution so I should
>> stop bitching...
>>

> The latest development version eliminates all the "add" stuff.

Nice development, thanks for the heads up on that!

Re: polychords: a working solution

Thomas Morley
Hi Jean-Alexis,

2012/2/4 Tim McNamara <[hidden email]>:

> On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:

>>> Those look good!  "Nice job" to the OP!
>>>
>>> But for that last chord with all the "add" stuff- is that the default
>>> output?  Yuck.  The repetitive use of the word "add" should not happen,
>>> although I have no clue how to fix it and offer a solution so I should
>>> stop bitching...
>>>

>> The latest development version eliminates all the "add" stuff.
>
> Nice development, thanks for the heads up on that!

as remarked here:
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00177.html
there are some problems with "polychord-column".
I changed it to the new "dir-column-line".

But in both cases the chords are aligned with their root. Depending
whether an accidental is added or not the horizontal line is more or
less raised (especially when you add \override ChordNames.ChordName
#'font-size = #6 or sth like that to enlarge the ChordNames).
I'm not sure how it _should_ look, what do you think?

Regards,
  Harm

polychordsDemo-rev-01.ly (5K) Download Attachment
polychordsDemo-rev-01.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: polychords: a working solution

Jean-Alexis Montignies-2

> as remarked here:
> lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00177.html
> there are some problems with "polychord-column".
> I changed it to the new "dir-column-line".
>
> But in both cases the chords are aligned with their root. Depending
> whether an accidental is added or not the horizontal line is more or
> less raised (especially when you add \override ChordNames.ChordName
> #'font-size = #6 or sth like that to enlarge the ChordNames).
> I'm not sure how it _should_ look, what do you think?
>
> Regards,
>  Harm
> <polychordsDemo-rev-01.ly><polychordsDemo-rev-01.png>_______________________________________________

It sure does look even better!

To be perfect, we should add some thickness to the line. I could look into that next time I'm doing a score with polychords.
Anyway, I think your code should be in the snippets and it has more uses that just polychords ! :)

Thanks!

Jean-Alexis

2012/2/5 Jean-Alexis Montignies <[hidden email]>:

>> as remarked here:
>> lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00177.html
>> there are some problems with "polychord-column".
>> I changed it to the new "dir-column-line".
>>
>> But in both cases the chords are aligned with their root. Depending
>> whether an accidental is added or not the horizontal line is more or
>> less raised (especially when you add \override ChordNames.ChordName
>> #'font-size = #6 or sth like that to enlarge the ChordNames).
>> I'm not sure how it _should_ look, what do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Harm
>> <polychordsDemo-rev-01.ly><polychordsDemo-rev-01.png>_______________________________________________
>> lilypond-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>
> It sure does look even better!
>
> To be perfect, we should add some thickness to the line. I could look into that next time I'm doing a score with polychords.
> Anyway, I think your code should be in the snippets and it has more uses that just polychords ! :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jean-Alexis

on purpose to add it to the LSR I tried to downgrade the functions to
"2.12.12", but I failed. :(
Do you think it makes sense to add them anyway, using the [needs LSR
upgrade]-feature? They will not be approved or listed until the LSR is
upgraded.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: polychords: a working solution

David Kastrup
Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> writes:

>> To be perfect, we should add some thickness to the line. I could
>> look into that next time I'm doing a score with polychords.
>> Anyway, I think your code should be in the snippets and it has more
>> uses that just polychords ! :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jean-Alexis
>
> on purpose to add it to the LSR I tried to downgrade the functions to
> "2.12.12", but I failed. :(
> Do you think it makes sense to add them anyway, using the [needs LSR
> upgrade]-feature? They will not be approved or listed until the LSR is
> upgraded.

LilyPond's "snippets" is not the same as LSR.  They are maintained in
the LilyPond repository as part of the docs and kept up to date
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/snippets/index.html>.

Re: polychords: a working solution

Thomas Morley
Hi David,

2012/2/17 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> LilyPond's "snippets" is not the same as LSR.  They are maintained in
> the LilyPond repository as part of the docs and kept up to date
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/snippets/index.html>.

OK, I misunderstood Jean-Alexes.

But then I asked myself what to do to put it in LilyPond's "snippets"?
Well, reading the Contributors Guide could be a good starting point:

From
"1.1 Simple Tasks
- LilyPond Snippet Repository (LSR): create and fix snippets following
the guidelines in Adding and editing snippets."
I got the impression that a user without git and
lilypond-self-compiling capabilities, etc could do this.

Following the link to 7.2 Adding and editing snippets I read:
"If the new snippet uses new features that are not available in the
current LSR version, the snippet should be added to
‘Documentation/snippets/new’ and a reference should be added to the
manual. ... "

Is this sth a normal user can do?

If yes, I need some advice. Currently I don't know what I'm expected to do.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: polychords: a working solution

Graham Percival-3
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:06:18AM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Following the link to 7.2 Adding and editing snippets I read:
> "If the new snippet uses new features that are not available in the
> current LSR version, the snippet should be added to
> ‘Documentation/snippets/new’ and a reference should be added to the
> manual. ... "
>
> Is this sth a normal user can do?

Not directly.  A new user can create a snippet, but then it needs
to go to a developer to add it.  James Lowe would normally
volunteer for that, but his village is stuck on 1.4 kb/s bandwidth
at the moment.

Unfortunately nobody has organized updating LSR to 2.14, so there
will be more and more cases where users want to help but don't
have a realistic way to do so.  This is certainly regrettable, but
I've been sounding the alarm about this for many months.  There
was one volunteer for this task, but a health problem resulted in
him drastically cutting back on his lilypond work.  Nobody else
has offered to do it.

Re: polychords: a working solution

Thomas Morley
Hi Graham,

2012/2/18 Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> Unfortunately nobody has organized updating LSR to 2.14, so there
> will be more and more cases where users want to help but don't
> have a realistic way to do so.  This is certainly regrettable, but
> I've been sounding the alarm about this for many months.  There
> was one volunteer for this task, but a health problem resulted in
> him drastically cutting back on his lilypond work.  Nobody else
> has offered to do it.

the not upgraded LSR is a pain in the neck.
I can't offer to _organize_ updating the LSR, but I'd offer the help a
normal user like me is able to do.
Let me know what I can do.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: polychords: a working solution

David Nalesnik
Hi,

the not upgraded LSR is a pain in the neck.
I can't offer to _organize_ updating the LSR, but I'd offer the help a
normal user like me is able to do.
Let me know what I can do.

As a normal user: me too.  How can I help?

-David

On 18 Feb 2012, at 00:25, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:06:18AM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> Following the link to 7.2 Adding and editing snippets I read:
>> "If the new snippet uses new features that are not available in the
>> current LSR version, the snippet should be added to
>> ‘Documentation/snippets/new’ and a reference should be added to the
>> manual. ... "
>>
>> Is this sth a normal user can do?
>
> Not directly.  A new user can create a snippet, but then it needs
> to go to a developer to add it.  James Lowe would normally
> volunteer for that, but his village is stuck on 1.4 kb/s bandwidth
> at the moment.

This is still true - am at a friend's at the moment - however the very least I'd suggest is to make a tracker item, put what you want and where in the tracker, include any code etc. Screenshots are usually useful (keep them small). I can then pick up the bits and pieces and make a snippet for the Notation Reference assuming it's appropriate and/or ask questions, once I get back from my holiday.

Tracker items are cheap and if I get hit by a bus, at least someone else will have the information to do this in the future and it isn't lost. That's the best short term solution for now I think.

James

Ps. you can send the request to bug list as an enhancement if you cannot add a tracker. One of the bug squad will see it and create the request.

Re: polychords: a working solution

Phil Holmes
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:06:18AM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> Following the link to 7.2 Adding and editing snippets I read:
>> "If the new snippet uses new features that are not available in the
>> current LSR version, the snippet should be added to
>> ‘Documentation/snippets/new’ and a reference should be added to the
>> manual. ... "
>>
>> Is this sth a normal user can do?
>
> Not directly.  A new user can create a snippet, but then it needs
> to go to a developer to add it.  James Lowe would normally
> volunteer for that, but his village is stuck on 1.4 kb/s bandwidth
> at the moment.
>

> Unfortunately nobody has organized updating LSR to 2.14, so there
> will be more and more cases where users want to help but don't
> have a realistic way to do so.  This is certainly regrettable, but
> I've been sounding the alarm about this for many months.  There
> was one volunteer for this task, but a health problem resulted in
> him drastically cutting back on his lilypond work.  Nobody else
> has offered to do it.

Not sure a "normal" user can update the LSR - doesn't this require the admin
of the LSR to do it?

--
Phil Holmes

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:40:49AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <[hidden email]>
> >On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:06:18AM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
> >Unfortunately nobody has organized updating LSR to 2.14, so there
> >will be more and more cases where users want to help but don't
> >have a realistic way to do so.  This is certainly regrettable, but
> >I've been sounding the alarm about this for many months.  There
> >was one volunteer for this task, but a health problem resulted in
> >him drastically cutting back on his lilypond work.  Nobody else
> >has offered to do it.
>
> Not sure a "normal" user can update the LSR - doesn't this require
> the admin of the LSR to do it?

To change the lilypond binary, sure.  He may or may not also run
convert-ly -e -d   on the files.  However, that's going to leave
about 50 .ly files which require manual updating.  That could
certainly be done by normal users, if there was somebody
organizing them.

Since nobody is willing to either update the files himself, or
organize other people to do them, there's no point discussing
matters with the admin.

Re: polychords: a working solution

Phil Holmes
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:40:49AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
>> <[hidden email]>
>> >On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:06:18AM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> >Unfortunately nobody has organized updating LSR to 2.14, so there
>> >will be more and more cases where users want to help but don't
>> >have a realistic way to do so.  This is certainly regrettable, but
>> >I've been sounding the alarm about this for many months.  There
>> >was one volunteer for this task, but a health problem resulted in
>> >him drastically cutting back on his lilypond work.  Nobody else
>> >has offered to do it.
>>
>> Not sure a "normal" user can update the LSR - doesn't this require
>> the admin of the LSR to do it?
>
> To change the lilypond binary, sure.  He may or may not also run
> convert-ly -e -d   on the files.  However, that's going to leave
> about 50 .ly files which require manual updating.  That could
> certainly be done by normal users, if there was somebody
> organizing them.
>
> Since nobody is willing to either update the files himself, or
> organize other people to do them, there's no point discussing
> matters with the admin.
>
> - Graham

I don't recall anyone asking for a volunteer.  I'll do it.

--
Phil Holmes

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:03:01PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <[hidden email]>
> >On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:40:49AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> >Since nobody is willing to either update the files himself, or
> >organize other people to do them, there's no point discussing
> >matters with the admin.
>
> I don't recall anyone asking for a volunteer.  I'll do it.

You have impressive email filters.

does anybody care about LSR?
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-06/msg00761.html

LSR lovers: walk the walk
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-07/msg00116.html

LSR updating to 2.14
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-08/msg00278.html

% (somebody offered to handle it, but health issues arose)
we need organizers
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg00265.html
hands off LSR and makelsr.py
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg00247.html

oh wait, some of those are probably about the LSR import, rather
than updating it to 2.14.

The reason I make such a fuss about the bug squad not working is
that they are the tip of the iceberg.  There are a TON of other
maintenance tasks that aren't being done[1].  I've almost
completely given up trying to get those happening because the bug
squad is the easiest, most clear-cut job we have, and historically
even that hasn't gone smoothly.  (it does appear to have improved
in the past few weeks)

[1] such as doing a full LSR import every week.

Re: polychords: a working solution

Phil Holmes
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:03:01PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
>> <[hidden email]>
>> >On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:40:49AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> >Since nobody is willing to either update the files himself, or
>> >organize other people to do them, there's no point discussing
>> >matters with the admin.
>>
>> I don't recall anyone asking for a volunteer.  I'll do it.
>
> You have impressive email filters.
>
> does anybody care about LSR?
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-06/msg00761.html
>
> LSR lovers: walk the walk
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-07/msg00116.html
>
> LSR updating to 2.14
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-08/msg00278.html
>
> % (somebody offered to handle it, but health issues arose)
> we need organizers
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg00265.html
> hands off LSR and makelsr.py
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg00247.html
>
> oh wait, some of those are probably about the LSR import, rather
> than updating it to 2.14.
>

> The reason I make such a fuss about the bug squad not working is
> that they are the tip of the iceberg.  There are a TON of other
> maintenance tasks that aren't being done[1].  I've almost
> completely given up trying to get those happening because the bug
> squad is the easiest, most clear-cut job we have, and historically
> even that hasn't gone smoothly.  (it does appear to have improved
> in the past few weeks)
>
> [1] such as doing a full LSR import every week.

I think you'll find that one of the volunteers here has been doing a full
LSR import whenever it's needed.  Oh.  It's me.  It's not needed every
week - I only do it if there are new snippets tagged with docs.

Sheesh.

--
Phil Holmes

1234 ... 6