pngtopnm missing?

Chris Crossen

I am trying to create a .png file from a LilyPond score. I am running Windows XP. I’m getting an error about pngtopnm.

Is it part of LilyPond?  Should I have it as part of the install?

Below is my run output.

Thank you,

Chris Crossen

C:\ScoreWork\data>lilypond -dbackend=eps -dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts -dresolution=96 -danti-alias-factor=2 --png test.ly

GNU LilyPond 2.14.2

Processing `test.ly'

Parsing...

Interpreting music... [8]

Preprocessing graphical objects...

Finding the ideal number of pages...

Fitting music on 1 page...

Drawing systems...

Layout output to `test.eps'...

Converting to PNG...'pngtopnm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

GS exited with status: 255

Re: pngtopnm missing?

Phil Holmes
I don't know why this happens, but you can cure it simply by replacing all the other options you're using with -fpng:

lilypond -fpng test.ly

--
Phil Holmes

RE: pngtopnm missing?

Chris Crossen

That’s what I tried first. It works, but the .PNG files don’t look anywhere near as good as the PDFs. I was trying to get a good-looking .PNG file with the –danti-alias-factor=2 parameter.

Re: pngtopnm missing?

Phil Holmes
I'm sorry I still can't answer your exact question, but I can give some pointers.  pngtopnm is a standard image file format converter on unix boxes, and so I guess Lily assumes it's there for some of its operations, and it isn't on Windows.  Hence the error message.

In my experiments, using --png with -dresolution=nnn gives exactly the same output as -dresolution=nnn/3 -danti-alias-factor=3 - so it appears not worth using the anti alias factor at all.  Accepting that you will never get an image file as good looking as PDF, since PDF scales, then something like lilypond --png -dresolution=900 should give you a better image than you need.

Phil Holmes

That’s what I tried first. It works, but the .PNG files don’t look anywhere near as good as the PDFs. I was trying to get a good-looking .PNG file with the –danti-alias-factor=2 parameter.

RE: pngtopnm missing?

Chris Crossen

Thanks, Phil. I’ll give that a try.

[...]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Phil Holmes writes:

> I'm sorry I still can't answer your exact question, but I can give some pointers.  pngtopnm is a standard image file
> format converter on unix boxes, and so I guess Lily assumes it's there for some of its operations, and it isn't on
> Windows.  Hence the error message.

That may be a bug, possibly we should ship netpbm with the windows
binaries?

Jan

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org