piano with melody and lyrics and a chorus with two verses and volta

piano with melody and lyrics and a chorus with two verses and volta

Bugzilla from talmage@acm.org
I'm trying to use the "piano with melody and lyrics" example from the manual
for Lilypond 2.4 to typeset Oscar Wilde's "Serenade".

The song has two verses.  The chorus that has two verses and the music for each
one ends differently.  The song structure is:

Verse 1
Chorus 1
Chorus 2
Verse 2

The alternative endings of the chorus are handled by volta, I guess.

Would someone please send me an example of how to do this?  In spite of reading
the manual and searching through the archives, I can't figure it out.

Re: piano with melody and lyrics and a chorus with two verses and volta

Simon Bailey-2
hi,

On 12/4/05, David Talmage <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would someone please send me an example of how to do this?  In spite of reading
> the manual and searching through the archives, I can't figure it out.

the manual is quite clear on this issue -- try section 6.7.2 Repeat Syntax.

basically you're looking for this (the alternative command):

\repeat volta 2 {
  Chorusmusic
}
\alternative {
   { ending1 }
   { ending2 }
}

hth,
sb
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.

Simon Bailey <binabik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> hi,
>
> On 12/4/05, David Talmage <talmage <at> acm.org> wrote:
> > Would someone please send me an example of how to do this?  In spite of
reading
> > the manual and searching through the archives, I can't figure it out.
>
> the manual is quite clear on this issue -- try section 6.7.2 Repeat Syntax.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I read that part of the manual before I posted my
question and you're right that it's quite clear.  I'm using the volta for the
repetition in the chorus.

With a bit of fiddling about, I've been able to make the verse lyrics line up
with the verse music and the chorus lyrics line up with the chorus music.  But
I'm unable to make all of it appear on the same staff.  Is there a way to
concatenate staves or join two bits of music together?  It seems to me that I
need a Voice context composed of two consecutive Voice contexts.

verse = \relative c'' {
 verse music
}

chorus = \relative c'' {
 \repeat volta 2 {
    chorus music
  }
  \alternative {
    {chorus ending 1}
    {chorus ending 2}
  }
  final notes of the song
}

verseI = \lyricmode {
  verse 1 lyrics
}

verseII = \lyricmode {
  verse 2 lyrics
}

chorusI = \lyricmode {
  chorus 1 lyrics
}

chorusII = \lyricmode {
  chorus 2 lyrics

    \context Voice = mel {
      \autoBeamOff
      \verse
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto mel \verseI
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto mel \verseII

    \context Voice = chor {
      \autoBeamOff
      \chorus
    }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto chor \chorusI
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto chor \chorusII

Re: piano with melody and lyrics and a chorus with two verses and volta

Mats Bengtsson-6
Did you see the example at the end of  "7.3.7 More stanzas"?
I guess what you need is not necessarily "Voice context composed
of two consecutive Voice context", you just need them to be in
the same stave (i.e. in the same Staff context), right?

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems