percussion staves

andrea valle
Hi to all,
I searched thru docs and archives but I wasn't able to make my ideas
clear.

I'm writing for percussions, so I was taking a look at Varèse's
Intégrales.
Percussionist 2 has five percussions: three chinese blocks (h, m, l: 3
lines), castanets (1 line) and a cymbals (1 line).
As a result, the staff is made up of three lines (with standard
interline space) for chinese blocks, plus two other lines with greater
interline space (as a standard for percussions without 5 lines staff),
one for castanets and one for cymbals.

i.e.:

cymb. _______________

cast. _______________

chin. bl. h _______________
chin. bl.m _______________
chin. bl. l _______________

Is is possible to create such a staff?  Could anyone post an example?

I only know how to set the number of lines (StaffSymbol #'line-count)
and how to change Staff's interline space (for all lines: StaffSymbol
#'staff-space).

Thanks a lot

-a-

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

Percussion staves: news?

andrea valle
Hi list,
sorry to bother you again.
But: does anyone know about the question I posted (here following)?
To summarize:
I need a (unique) staff in this way:

_______________________

_______________________

_______________________
_______________________
_______________________

Is it possible to create a single staff like this, with different
interline spaces?
A possible solution in Finale is to make  some lines in staff
invisible. Is this availlable in lily?

Thanks

-a-

On 27 Dec 2005, at 12:15, andrea valle wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I searched thru docs and archives but I wasn't able to make my ideas
> clear.
>
> I'm writing for percussions, so I was taking a look at Varèse's
> Intégrales.
> Percussionist 2 has five percussions: three chinese blocks (h, m, l: 3
> lines), castanets (1 line) and a cymbals (1 line).
> As a result, the staff is made up of three lines (with standard
> interline space) for chinese blocks, plus two other lines with greater
> interline space (as a standard for percussions without 5 lines staff),
> one for castanets and one for cymbals.
>
> i.e.:
>
> cymb. _______________
>
> cast. _______________
>
> chin. bl. h _______________
> chin. bl.m _______________
> chin. bl. l _______________
>
> Is is possible to create such a staff?  Could anyone post an example?
>
> I only know how to set the number of lines (StaffSymbol #'line-count)
> and how to change Staff's interline space (for all lines: StaffSymbol
> #'staff-space).
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> -a-
>

> Andrea Valle
> DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
> Università degli Studi di Torino

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

Re: Percussion staves: news?

Mats Bengtsson-6
As far as I can see, there is no easy solution. You could redefine the
function
used to print the StaffSymbol object. The default implementation,
Staff_symbol::print is done in C++, but it should be possible to do it
in Scheme as well.

   /Mats

andrea valle wrote:

> Hi list,
> sorry to bother you again.
> But: does anyone know about the question I posted (here following)?
> To summarize:
> I need a (unique) staff in this way:
>
> _______________________
>
> _______________________
>
> _______________________
> _______________________
> _______________________
>

> Is it possible to create a single staff like this, with different
> interline spaces?
> A possible solution in Finale is to make  some lines in staff
> invisible. Is this availlable in lily?
>
> Thanks
>
> -a-
>

> On 27 Dec 2005, at 12:15, andrea valle wrote:
>
>> Hi to all,
>> I searched thru docs and archives but I wasn't able to make my ideas
>> clear.
>>
>> I'm writing for percussions, so I was taking a look at Varèse's
>> Intégrales.
>> Percussionist 2 has five percussions: three chinese blocks (h, m, l:
>> 3 lines), castanets (1 line) and a cymbals (1 line).
>> As a result, the staff is made up of three lines (with standard
>> interline space) for chinese blocks, plus two other lines with
>> greater interline space (as a standard for percussions without 5
>> lines staff), one for castanets and one for cymbals.
>>
>> i.e.:
>>
>> cymb.    _______________
>>
>> cast.        _______________
>>
>> chin. bl. h    _______________
>> chin. bl.m    _______________
>> chin. bl. l    _______________
>>
>> Is is possible to create such a staff?  Could anyone post an example?
>>
>> I only know how to set the number of lines (StaffSymbol #'line-count)
>> and how to change Staff's interline space (for all lines: StaffSymbol
>> #'staff-space).
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> -a-
>>

>> Andrea Valle
>> DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
>> Università degli Studi di Torino
>> [hidden email]

> Andrea Valle
> DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
> Università degli Studi di Torino

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: percussion staves

Now that I see your original question, you could do something like:

\score{
<<
  \new RhythmicStaff \with {
    instrument = "cymb."
    \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
    }
    { c4 c8 c  }
  \new DrumStaff \with {
    instrument = "cast."
    \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
    }
    { c8 c4 c8 }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrument = \markup{\column { "chin. bl. h" "chin. bl. m" "chin.
bl. l" }}
    \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #3
    }
    \relative c''{<<{d4 d} \\ {b b} \\ {g g} >> }

}

I don't really know anything about drum notation, so you probably want to
use \drummode to get the correct note heads and I included examples of
both RhythmicStaff, DrumStaff and an ordinary Staff, just to illustrate
that they are available.

   /Mats

andrea valle wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I searched thru docs and archives but I wasn't able to make my ideas
> clear.
>
> I'm writing for percussions, so I was taking a look at Varèse's
> Intégrales.
> Percussionist 2 has five percussions: three chinese blocks (h, m, l: 3
> lines), castanets (1 line) and a cymbals (1 line).
> As a result, the staff is made up of three lines (with standard
> interline space) for chinese blocks, plus two other lines with greater
> interline space (as a standard for percussions without 5 lines staff),
> one for castanets and one for cymbals.
>
> i.e.:
>
> cymb.    _______________
>
> cast.        _______________
>
> chin. bl. h    _______________
> chin. bl.m    _______________
> chin. bl. l    _______________
>
> Is is possible to create such a staff?  Could anyone post an example?
>
> I only know how to set the number of lines (StaffSymbol #'line-count)
> and how to change Staff's interline space (for all lines: StaffSymbol
> #'staff-space).
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> -a-
>

> Andrea Valle
> DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
> Università degli Studi di Torino

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Percussion staves: news?

andrea valle
Mats,
thanks a lot as usual.
Your code is precious, but I suspected I could reach good results via
superimposition of different staves.
I'd like to have it in one unique staff for ease (so I can have one
voice): this kind of spacing is very common for percussion in 20th
century and I don't want Finale to be be more flexible than lily...:-).

Han-Wen, could it be a sponsored feature?

-a-

On 2 Jan 2006, at 10:40, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> As far as I can see, there is no easy solution. You could redefine the
> function
> used to print the StaffSymbol object. The default implementation,
> Staff_symbol::print is done in C++, but it should be possible to do it
> in Scheme as well.
>
>   /Mats

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

Re: Percussion staves: news?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
andrea valle wrote:

> Mats,
> thanks a lot as usual.
> Your code is precious, but I suspected I could reach good results via
> superimposition of different staves.
> I'd like to have it in one unique staff for ease (so I can have one
> voice): this kind of spacing is very common for percussion in 20th
> century and I don't want Finale to be be more flexible than lily...:-).
>
> Han-Wen, could it be a sponsored feature?

Certainly, but isn't it much easier to make new context with 1-line
staves at fixed distances (see PianoStaff definition for inspiration)?

Re: Percussion staves: news?

Trevor Bača-2
On 1/2/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> andrea valle wrote:
> > Mats,
> > thanks a lot as usual.
> > Your code is precious, but I suspected I could reach good results via
> > superimposition of different staves.
> > I'd like to have it in one unique staff for ease (so I can have one
> > voice): this kind of spacing is very common for percussion in 20th
> > century and I don't want Finale to be be more flexible than lily...:-).
> >
> > Han-Wen, could it be a sponsored feature?
> >

> Certainly, but isn't it much easier to make new context with 1-line
> staves at fixed distances (see PianoStaff definition for inspiration)?
Andrea,

If you go the multiple-1-line-contexts-together route, will beaming
still work correctly?

--
Trevor Bača

Re: Percussion staves: news?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Trevor Bača wrote:
>>Certainly, but isn't it much easier to make new context with 1-line
>>staves at fixed distances (see PianoStaff definition for inspiration)?
>

> Andrea,
>
> If you go the multiple-1-line-contexts-together route, will beaming
> still work correctly?

Yes, as long as the distance between the staves is fixed. They're just
like cross staff beams.

Re: Percussion staves: news?

andrea valle
I'm sorry, I tried but I'm not able to find a solution by myself
starting from PianoStaff.
I do not understand how to put arbitrary staves insise a pianostaff.
Could you please post an example to be hacked?

-a-