pdf files

Sacha Standen
Hello

Please would somebody respond with some advice, as I can't use Lilypond at all without being able to view the PDF files. I'm using version 2.6 on Windows ME and have managed, through trial and error, to generate pdf files, but cannot open them. When I double click the PDF file icon, it loads Adobe Acrobat, but an alert then appears, telling me that Acrobat can't open the file. I can however open my old files, and the only visible difference is that the icons for the old files have PDF superimposed on the symbol, whereas the new ones don't.

In anticipation

Sacha Standen

Re: pdf files

Paul Scott-3
Sacha Standen wrote:

> Hello
>
> Please would somebody respond with some advice, as I can't use
> Lilypond at all without being able to view the PDF files. I'm using
> version 2.6 on Windows ME and have managed, through trial and error,
> to generate pdf files, but cannot open them. When I double click the
> PDF file icon, it loads Adobe Acrobat, but an alert then appears,
> telling me that Acrobat can't open the file. I can however open my old
> files, and the only visible difference is that the icons for the old
> files have PDF superimposed on the symbol, whereas the new ones don't.

What version of Acrobat (Reader?) are you using.  I have heard that
Adobe Reader 7 will not read some files that were not written by Acrobat.

I was trying to check that out but my MS Windows 98SE installation of
LilyPond 2.6.0 is not generating PDF's or even workable PS's at the moment.

Paul Scott

Re: pdf files

Sacha Standen

> > Please would somebody respond with some advice, as I can't use
> > Lilypond at all without being able to view the PDF files. I'm using
> > version 2.6 on Windows ME and have managed, through trial and error,
> > to generate pdf files, but cannot open them. When I double click the
> > PDF file icon, it loads Adobe Acrobat, but an alert then appears,
> > telling me that Acrobat can't open the file. I can however open my old
> > files, and the only visible difference is that the icons for the old
> > files have PDF superimposed on the symbol, whereas the new ones don't.
>
> What version of Acrobat (Reader?) are you using.  I have heard that
> Adobe Reader 7 will not read some files that were not written by Acrobat.
>
> I was trying to check that out but my MS Windows 98SE installation of
> LilyPond 2.6.0 is not generating PDF's or even workable PS's at the
moment.

> Paul Scott

Hi

Thanks to Paul Scott for responding.

I'm using Acrobat Reader 5.0, but have just downloaded Adobe reader 6.0 and
am still unable to open the files. Can I be really thick and ask what the
difference between PDF and PS is? That may be the key, as it seems the PS
files are the ones I can't open.

Regards

Sacha

Re: pdf files

Mats Bengtsson-6
> I'm using Acrobat Reader 5.0, but have just downloaded Adobe reader 6.0 and
> am still unable to open the files. Can I be really thick and ask what the
> difference between PDF and PS is? That may be the key, as it seems the PS
> files are the ones I can't open.

PS is short for PostScript, which is a language used by some printers.
For normal PostScript files, you can install a program like GSView to
view them on the screen in Windows. However, the PostScript files
generated by LilyPond are a bit special and are mainly used as
intermediate files from LilyPond when it prepares the PDF files.
So, forget about the PS files and try to view the PDF files.

It's really hard to say what problem you have with your installation
if the PDF files from LilyPond are broken. Also, I have no experience
at all of the new installer for Windows, so I cannot even provide any
hints on how to try to find the problem. I hope someone else on the
mailing list can provide more assistance.

Re: pdf files

Sacha Standen
Thanks Mats

The problem is, Lilypond 2.6 on my system only seems to generate PS files
and not PDFs.

To clarify what I'm doing, in case anyone else out there knows about
Lilypond on Windows:

Having written my text file, I then drag it onto the Lilypond icon, which
then processes it and creates a file with the Lilypond icon on it, as well
as creating a .txt file on the desktop with the adobe symbol on it (which I
also can't open). It also creates a midi file, which funtions properly. I
then double click on the newly created Lilypond file, which creates a PS
file and continues processing for a while but creates nothing new. There is
no PDF file. Anyone know why?

Sacha

> > I'm using Acrobat Reader 5.0, but have just downloaded Adobe reader 6.0
and
> > am still unable to open the files. Can I be really thick and ask what
the
> > difference between PDF and PS is? That may be the key, as it seems the
PS

> > files are the ones I can't open.
>
> PS is short for PostScript, which is a language used by some printers.
> For normal PostScript files, you can install a program like GSView to
> view them on the screen in Windows. However, the PostScript files
> generated by LilyPond are a bit special and are mainly used as
> intermediate files from LilyPond when it prepares the PDF files.
> So, forget about the PS files and try to view the PDF files.
>
> It's really hard to say what problem you have with your installation
> if the PDF files from LilyPond are broken. Also, I have no experience
> at all of the new installer for Windows, so I cannot even provide any
> hints on how to try to find the problem. I hope someone else on the
> mailing list can provide more assistance.
>
>     /Mats

Re: pdf files

Paul Scott-3
Sacha Standen wrote:

>Thanks Mats
>
>The problem is, Lilypond 2.6 on my system only seems to generate PS files
>and not PDFs.
>
>To clarify what I'm doing, in case anyone else out there knows about
>Lilypond on Windows:
>
>Having written my text file, I then drag it onto the Lilypond icon, which
>then processes it and creates a file with the Lilypond icon on it, as well
>as creating a .txt file on the desktop with the adobe symbol on it (which I
>also can't open). It also creates a midi file, which funtions properly. I
>then double click on the newly created Lilypond file, which creates a PS
>file and continues processing for a while but creates nothing new. There is
>no PDF file. Anyone know why?

I also get no PDF's.  I installed the native LilyPond on MS Windows 98SE.
If I go to LilyPond/Examples in the Start menu and right-click on
simple.ly and choose Open LilyPad opens the file.
1. If I try to do SaveAs LilyPad forgets the file name and just shows
*.ly as the file name.

I supply a file name and save it on the desktop.  I double-click on the
simply.ly icon.  I get a simple.log file which looks correct.  The last
line is:
Converting to `simple.pdf'...

2. There is a simple.ps file on the desktop but no simple.pdf.  I
searched the hard drive and it isn't anywhere else.

>Sacha

Re: pdf files

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Paul Scott writes:

>>file and continues processing for a while but creates nothing new. There is
>>no PDF file. Anyone know why?
>>
> I also get no PDF's.  I installed the native LilyPond on MS Windows 98SE.

Then probably ghostscript fails.  Can someone please run lilypond with
the --verbose switch and send the log output?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: pdf files

Paul Scott-3
Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Paul Scott writes:
>

>>>file and continues processing for a while but creates nothing new. There is
>>>no PDF file. Anyone know why?
>>>

>>I also get no PDF's.  I installed the native LilyPond on MS Windows 98SE.
>>

>Then probably ghostscript fails.  Can someone please run lilypond with
>the --verbose switch and send the log output?

After dealing with the ancient DOS shell (command line) here it is.
This also brings up another point that I have seen briefly mentioned
either here or on the devel list.  Is there a problem with setting the
environment variables so that LilyPond.exe can be found while working in
another directory?

Paul Scott

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `simple.ly'
Parsing...[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/init.ly[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/declarations-init.ly[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/music-functions-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/nederlands.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/drumpitch-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/script-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/scale-definitions-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/grace-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/midi-init.ly[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/performer-init.ly]][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/paper-defaults.ly[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/titling-init.ly]][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/engraver-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/dynamic-scripts-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/spanners-init.ly][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ly/property-init.ly]][simple.ly]
Interpreting music... [C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-20.otf][2]
elapsed time: 0.33 seconds
Element count 95 (spanners 8)
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Grob count 159[C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-11.otf][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-13.otf][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-14.otf][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-16.otf][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-18.otf][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/otf/emmentaler-23.otf]
Calculating line breaks...
Global shortest duration is 3/16
Optimal demerits: 9.037593
Element count 97.[0]
Calculating page breaks...[century_schoolbook_l__3.865234375]
Layout output to `simple.ps'...[C:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/share/gs/fonts/c059013l.pfb][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/fonts/type1/PFAemmentaler-20.pfa][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps][C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/lilypond/2.6.0/ps/lilyponddefs.ps]
Converting to `simple.pdf'...
Invoking `gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"'...

Re: pdf files

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Paul Scott writes:

> After dealing with the ancient DOS shell (command line) here it is.

Thanks.

> This also brings up another point that I have seen briefly mentioned
> either here or on the devel list.  Is there a problem with setting the
> environment variables so that LilyPond.exe can be found while working
> in another directory?

Not that I know of.  What problem are you referring to?

> Invoking `gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"'...

Ok, now please try running the gs command manually, first setting the
appropriate env vars (set LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1 to see the values that lp uses)

set GS_LIB=C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/ghostscript/fonts  # ? check
set GS_FONTHPATH=C:/WINDOWS/FONTS

gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"

... must run

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Paul Scott writes:
>

>>After dealing with the ancient DOS shell (command line) here it is.
>>

>Thanks.
>

>>This also brings up another point that I have seen briefly mentioned
>>either here or on the devel list.  Is there a problem with setting the
>>environment variables so that LilyPond.exe can be found while working
>>in another directory?
>>

>Not that I know of.  What problem are you referring to?

Many installation programs modify autoexec.bat (or maybe autoexec.nt for
W2K or WXP) to set the paths to the executables.  This might have helped
the problem I discovered below as the next step.

>>Invoking `gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"'...
>>

>Ok, now please try running the gs command manually, first setting the
>appropriate env vars (set LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1 to see the values that lp uses)
>
>set GS_LIB=C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/ghostscript/fonts  # ? check
>set GS_FONTHPATH=C:/WINDOWS/FONTS
>
>gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"

I had to prepend the path to "gs" above.  Since it's not in the current
directory it doesn't get found.  Then I get:

GPL Ghostscript 8.15: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps

Paul

Re: pdf files

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Paul Scott writes:

>>set GS_LIB=C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/ghostscript/fonts  # ? check
                                                       ^/lib oops1
>>set GS_FONTHPATH=C:/WINDOWS/FONTS
             ^oops2

I was in a too big hurry this morning, but hoped you or someone else
would figure it out...

>>gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"
>>

> I had to prepend the path to "gs" above.  Since it's not in the
> current directory it doesn't get found.  Then I get:
>
> GPL Ghostscript 8.15: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps

Then the GS_LIB directory you set was incorrect.  Ah, my example
showed the fonts dir.  Makes sense that gs_init is not found %-)

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

stk

Re: pdf files

stk

Running under Windows 98, LilyPond generates .PS, not .PDF, files for
two independent reasons:

(A) Ghostscript can't find its initialization files.

(B) Once (A) has been cleared up, the long gs... command invoked
by LilyPond.exe fails.

=============
Regarding (A)
=============

On 2 July 2005 Paul Scott quoted the Ghostscript error message

> GPL Ghostscript 8.15: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps

Jan subsequently recommended setting environment variables to cure this.
But it would not be surprising for a user to have, independent of LilyPond,
Ghostscript 8.51 also installed (which is true in my case), and so
handling this problem through the Windows registry would be safer than
setting global DOS environment variables that would affect all Ghostscripts.

I created the registry key
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GPL Ghostscript\8.15
and into this key I inserted the two value-data pairs
     GS_DLL      C:/PROGRA~1/LilyPond/usr/bin/gsdll32.dll
     GS_LIB      C:/PROGRA~1/LilyPond/usr/share/gs/lib
The first of these ensures that gs.exe will find its application extension.
The second ensures that gs.exe will find its various initialization files.
gs did find this information and now stops complaining that it can't
find gs_init.ps

[Remark 1:  Windows uses backslashes \ but gs wants to see the
forward slashes / indicated above.]

[Remark 2:  For the reader not familiar with DLLs, that filename above
contains L's, not 1's:  GSDLL32.DLL      ]

[Remark 3:  Since LilyPond's (huge) .PS files have the fonts embedded, it
doesn't seem likely that it would be necessary to add a third value-data
pair to cover GS_FONTPATH.  And in any case, C:\WINDOWS\FONTS is probably
not needed in gs's fontpath, since this Windows 98 directory contains only
TrueType fonts (about 300 .TTF files).  It would be very helpful to me to
be told what external fonts gs needs, and *why*.  I don't see why it needs
any at all.]

=============
Regarding (B)
=============

On 1 July 2005 Paul Scott sent the screen-output generated by
lilypond.exe --verbose
and the final line was

> Invoking `gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
> -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f
> "simple.ps"'...

This fails (lilypond does not generate a .PDF file).  My best guess at
this point is that since the maximum length of an individual DOS command
is 127 characters, the above gs invocation gets truncated.  In particular,
gs doesn't get the information
     -f "simple.ps"
so when gs asks (probably) to open a file whose name is (probably) the
empty string, Windows 98 will complain File Not Found.

Windows NT and Windows XP presumably allow a longer command line and don't
have this problem.

Fixing this for Windows 98 would involve changing the part of the source
code of lilypond.exe which generates the above gs invocation.  In the
directory
     C:\PROGRA~1\LilyPond\usr\share\gs\lib
the two DOS batch files
     ps2pdf14.bat
     ps2pdfxx.bat
demonstrate a technique using @files "to avoid overflowing the command line".

You would think that a temporary work-around would be easy:  I should be
able to write a DOS batch file that uses the @files technique to generate
the equivalent of the above gs command with much fewer actual characters.
I could then apply this batch file to a .PS file generated by LilyPond.
The catch is that in the pure DOS batch language, there is no mechanism at
all for changing a substring of a string, so that given only the input
filename "simple.ps", I cannot (in DOS batch) create the name
"simple.pdf".

[Useless side remark:  Windows NT and XP do have a limited
substring-replacement mechanism.]

I have never used Windows 98 VBScript for anything very intelligent, and
my VBScript is very rusty.  However, I will have to scratch around and see
if I can write a script that works.

So why am I saying all this to lilypond-user and not to bug-lilypond?
Because if I'm right, Windows 98 users should know that a quick fix is
unlikely.  Messing with the registry and applying a (hypothetical)
VBScript script may not appeal to a casual user.

With the massive amount of work LilyPond developers must have (and let it
be said, they have my most sincere admiration), it is not likely that
fixes will be made (A) to do automatic registry entries and (B) to modify
the gs invocation just so that W98 users can get .PDF output.

[I use W98 rather than WXP because I don't need *more* security problems
than I already have, and I also dislike the notion of running an OS that
is deliberately programmed to fail under certain circumstances (such as
when I add a couple of pieces of hardware).]

-- Tom