partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi;

  I'm using \partcombine to merge two bass lines, one is a dotted half
note and the other bass one is a quarter rest and a half note.  The
upper voice has the quarter rest.  The quarter rest is NOT engraved.
The lower voice, having the dotted half note,is a fifth lower so there
is no collision, or shouldn't be.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Ralph Palmer
On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 6:30 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi;

  I'm using \partcombine to merge two bass lines, one is a dotted half
note and the other bass one is a quarter rest and a half note.  The
upper voice has the quarter rest.  The quarter rest is NOT engraved.
The lower voice, having the dotted half note,is a fifth lower so there
is no collision, or shouldn't be.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi, Ken -

Can you please provide a minimum working example, preferably with the transcription as you get it?

All the best,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT
USA
(he, him, his)

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-05 3:29 pm, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>   I'm using \partcombine to merge two bass lines, one is a dotted half
> note and the other bass one is a quarter rest and a half note.  The
> upper voice has the quarter rest.  The quarter rest is NOT engraved.
> The lower voice, having the dotted half note,is a fifth lower so there
> is no collision, or shouldn't be.

Probably need to use \partcombineApart.  Consider:

%%%%

   \time 3/4
   \clef bass
   \partcombine
   { r4 e2 }
   { \once \partcombineApart a,2. }
}
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi Ralph;

  Thank you for your quick response.

  I have attached a test case even though the test case has the two
voices reversed, the missing quarter rest behavior is the same.

Thanks,
Ken

test_partcombine.ly (110 bytes) Download Attachment
test_partcombine.pdf (57K) Download Attachment

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi Aaron;

  This looks like a solution to the problem.  I missed this in the
Learning, Notation and Snippets documentation.

Thanks,
Ken

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 3:57 PM Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020-09-05 3:29 pm, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> >   I'm using \partcombine to merge two bass lines, one is a dotted half
> > note and the other bass one is a quarter rest and a half note.  The
> > upper voice has the quarter rest.  The quarter rest is NOT engraved.
> > The lower voice, having the dotted half note,is a fifth lower so there
> > is no collision, or shouldn't be.
>
> Probably need to use \partcombineApart.  Consider:
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> {
>    \time 3/4
>    \clef bass
>    \partcombine
>    { r4 e2 }
>    { \once \partcombineApart a,2. }
> }
> %%%%
>

> -- Aaron Hill

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi Aaron;

  Your example, of course, only contains one measure, for partcombine.

  However, I have most of 32 bars of these, and of those that have
identical chord durations, I have used 's2.' in the lower voice and
placed all the chords in the upper voice.  Obviously, I can not have
chords containing notes of different duration without using two or
more voices, so I am using partcombine.  Do I need to do this '\once
\partcombineApart' action for every measure that has this pattern,
individually?  I've tried using \partcombineApart for merging the
entire pair of bass voices, and that fails.

Thanks,
Ken

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aaron;
>
>   This looks like a solution to the problem.  I missed this in the
> Learning, Notation and Snippets documentation.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 3:57 PM Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-09-05 3:29 pm, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> > >   I'm using \partcombine to merge two bass lines, one is a dotted half
> > > note and the other bass one is a quarter rest and a half note.  The
> > > upper voice has the quarter rest.  The quarter rest is NOT engraved.
> > > The lower voice, having the dotted half note,is a fifth lower so there
> > > is no collision, or shouldn't be.
> >
> > Probably need to use \partcombineApart.  Consider:
> >
> > %%%%
> > \version "2.20.0"
> >
> > {
> >    \time 3/4
> >    \clef bass
> >    \partcombine
> >    { r4 e2 }
> >    { \once \partcombineApart a,2. }
> > }
> > %%%%
> >

> > -- Aaron Hill

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Ah, I found \partcombineApart in the Notation document. :-)

Ken

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aaron;
>
>   Your example, of course, only contains one measure, for partcombine.
>
>   However, I have most of 32 bars of these, and of those that have
> identical chord durations, I have used 's2.' in the lower voice and
> placed all the chords in the upper voice.  Obviously, I can not have
> chords containing notes of different duration without using two or
> more voices, so I am using partcombine.  Do I need to do this '\once
> \partcombineApart' action for every measure that has this pattern,
> individually?  I've tried using \partcombineApart for merging the
> entire pair of bass voices, and that fails.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Aaron;
> >
> >   This looks like a solution to the problem.  I missed this in the
> > Learning, Notation and Snippets documentation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ken

> > > Probably need to use \partcombineApart.  Consider:
> > >
> > > %%%%
> > > \version "2.20.0"
> > >
> > > {
> > >    \time 3/4
> > >    \clef bass
> > >    \partcombine
> > >    { r4 e2 }
> > >    { \once \partcombineApart a,2. }
> > > }
> > > %%%%
> > >

> > > -- Aaron Hill

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi All,

  I replaced each instance with the inline

<< {} \\ {} >>

  construct and I stopped using \partcombine.

  Now it works as desired.

Thanks,
Ken

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:14 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, I found \partcombineApart in the Notation document. :-)
>
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Aaron;
> >
> >   Your example, of course, only contains one measure, for partcombine.
> >
> >   However, I have most of 32 bars of these, and of those that have
> > identical chord durations, I have used 's2.' in the lower voice and
> > placed all the chords in the upper voice.  Obviously, I can not have
> > chords containing notes of different duration without using two or
> > more voices, so I am using partcombine.  Do I need to do this '\once
> > \partcombineApart' action for every measure that has this pattern,
> > individually?  I've tried using \partcombineApart for merging the
> > entire pair of bass voices, and that fails.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ken
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Aaron;
> > >
> > >   This looks like a solution to the problem.  I missed this in the
> > > Learning, Notation and Snippets documentation.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ken

Re: partcombine discards quarter rests, why?

David Kastrup
Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi All,
>
>   I replaced each instance with the inline

>   construct and I stopped using \partcombine.
>
>   Now it works as desired.

\partCombine tends to be more for creating piano extracts.  Thus it
tends not to bother a lot with keeping rests around or keeping a
two-voiced look.

So your change might have been the better choice.