parenthesized chord symbols

Sandro Santilli-2
How do I put chord symbols in parenthesis, across
two measures ?

Like in (fixed-width fonts needed):

    Em7  ( D7     A   A7 )
  |            |           ||

--strk;

Re: parenthesized chord symbols

Robin Bannister-2
Sandro Santilli wrote:
> How do I put chord symbols in parenthesis, across
> two measures ?

Look at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-10/msg00565.html
for some suggestions re turnaround brackets.

Cheers,
Robin

Re: parenthesized chord symbols

Tim McNamara
Here is something I have used for years with good results.  Someone on the list created this off the cuff.  I have not tried it with 2.19.x.  No doubt it could be improved, but it is short and simple.

\version "2.18.0"

#(define (left-parenthesis-ignatzek-chord-names in-pitches bass inversion context)
(markup #:line ("( " (ignatzek-chord-names in-pitches bass inversion context))))

#(define (right-parenthesis-ignatzek-chord-names in-pitches bass inversion context)
(markup #:line ((ignatzek-chord-names in-pitches bass inversion context) " )")))

LPC = { \set chordNameFunction = #left-parenthesis-ignatzek-chord-names }
RPC = { \set chordNameFunction = #right-parenthesis-ignatzek-chord-names }
NPC = { \unset chordNameFunction }

% \LPC first-chord \NPC more chords \RPC last-chord \NPC