parentheses problem

Werner LEMBERG

The new feature regarding parenthesizing as presented in NEWS.html
(2006-02-10, 8AM) exhibits two bugs.

  . The vertical dimension of parentheses is apparently not included
    in the calculation of the whole vertical size.  In the image, the
    lower part of the parentheses around the staccato dot are cropped.
    Please check this -- it might also be a bug in ps2epsi (which I
    recently reported to the ghostscript people), producing bounding
    box values one pixel too small.

  . The horizontal dimension of parentheses are not taken into
    account, making lilypond shift the sharp to the left.  This makes
    it quite difficult to notice the parentheses at all.

      Werner

Re: parentheses problem

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> The new feature regarding parenthesizing as presented in NEWS.html
> (2006-02-10, 8AM) exhibits two bugs.
>
>   . The vertical dimension of parentheses is apparently not included
>     in the calculation of the whole vertical size.  In the image, the
>     lower part of the parentheses around the staccato dot are cropped.
>     Please check this -- it might also be a bug in ps2epsi (which I
>     recently reported to the ghostscript people), producing bounding
>     box values one pixel too small.

Yes, you're right. I should reconsider some design decisions, I guess.

>   . The horizontal dimension of parentheses are not taken into
>     account, making lilypond shift the sharp to the left.  This makes
>     it quite difficult to notice the parentheses at all.

I know. This is a difficult problem, in that it is not clear when to
include the dimension of the parentheses and when not. For the case of
the note head, the stem attachment would be wrong if the parens were
included.

Re: parentheses problem

Mats Bengtsson-4
By the way, is it possible/easy to get brackets instead of
parentheses?

    /Mats

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>> The new feature regarding parenthesizing as presented in NEWS.html
>> (2006-02-10, 8AM) exhibits two bugs.
>>
>>   . The vertical dimension of parentheses is apparently not included
>>     in the calculation of the whole vertical size.  In the image, the
>>     lower part of the parentheses around the staccato dot are cropped.
>>     Please check this -- it might also be a bug in ps2epsi (which I
>>     recently reported to the ghostscript people), producing bounding
>>     box values one pixel too small.
>

> Yes, you're right. I should reconsider some design decisions, I guess.
>
>>   . The horizontal dimension of parentheses are not taken into
>>     account, making lilypond shift the sharp to the left.  This makes
>>     it quite difficult to notice the parentheses at all.
>

> I know. This is a difficult problem, in that it is not clear when to
> include the dimension of the parentheses and when not. For the case of
> the note head, the stem attachment would be wrong if the parens were
> included.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: parentheses problem

Werner LEMBERG
> > . The horizontal dimension of parentheses are not taken into
> >   account, making lilypond shift the sharp to the left.  This
> >   makes it quite difficult to notice the parentheses at all.
>
> I know.  This is a difficult problem, in that it is not clear when
> to include the dimension of the parentheses and when not.  For the
> case of the note head, the stem attachment would be wrong if the
> parens were included.

Provide a default and make it easy to override it in case lilypond
does a bad guess.

    Werner