package-specific doc information

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

package-specific doc information

Graham Percival
I know that the MacOS package has a README with some platform-specific
information; I assume that the windows and linux binary packages have
similar information.  Could we include that info on the web page or the
docs?

Ideally we should have a SETUP (binary packges) link, under the
INSTALL (how to compile) link on the main doc page.  The SETUP would
go to a page that contains links to the various platform-specific binary
package info.

I'm not certain how to set up this kind of auto-generated docs --
especially
since the info is in the installers/ CVS module, instead of the
lilypond/
module.

Cheers,
- Graham



_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: package-specific doc information

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:
> I know that the MacOS package has a README with some platform-specific
> information; I assume that the windows and linux binary packages have
> similar information.  Could we include that info on the web page or the
> docs?
>

no, I disagree. All binary setup packages should be selfdocumenting.
People generally don't read installation instructions anyway.
--
  Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: package-specific doc information

Graham Percival

On 17-Jun-05, at 9:12 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> I know that the MacOS package has a README with some platform-specific
>> information; I assume that the windows and linux binary packages have
>> similar information.  Could we include that info on the web page or
>> the
>> docs?
>
> no, I disagree. All binary setup packages should be selfdocumenting.
> People generally don't read installation instructions anyway.

OK, let's not put it in the main doc page.  But we should include those
instructions _somewhere_ on the web page.  What if somebody doesn't
notice the README, but instead looks on the web for docs?  It doesn't
make sense to exclude setup info (like "put lilypond.sh in your path")
from the rest of the docs.

Whenever I try an OSX package/program, I almost always keep the
binary and delete the other files -- I just assume that if I need any
docs, I can find them online.

Cheers,
- Graham



_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: package-specific doc information

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:
> Whenever I try an OSX package/program, I almost always keep the
> binary and delete the other files -- I just assume that if I need any
> docs, I can find them online.

Not a very convincing reason, given that the README is mostly about
"other files", which you would have thrown away anyway.



--
  Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: package-specific doc information

Graham Percival

On 18-Jun-05, at 5:42 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Whenever I try an OSX package/program, I almost always keep the
>> binary and delete the other files -- I just assume that if I need any
>> docs, I can find them online.
>
> Not a very convincing reason, given that the README is mostly about
> "other files", which you would have thrown away anyway.

Good point.  Ok, I'm convinced.  If we have a whole bunch of people
asking
questions that the README answers, I may ask again though.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham



_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel