\override Score.SpacingSpanner

Vivian Barty-Taylor
I'm trying to adjust spacing to allow a glissando line
to be seen more obviously. I want to adjust the
spacing rule but only for the bar with the glissando.
I've tried to construct an \override that looks like
this:

\time 3/4
f16 r f r f r8. r16 f r8
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment =
#3.0
\time 2/4
r16 e8.\glissando f16 r f r
r f8. r16 f r f
\revert Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment

This doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm
wondering what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance,
Vivian.

Re: \override Score.SpacingSpanner

Mats Bengtsson-4
Did you read at the end of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Horizontal-spacing.html#Horizontal-spacing

   /Mats

Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:

>I'm trying to adjust spacing to allow a glissando line
>to be seen more obviously. I want to adjust the
>spacing rule but only for the bar with the glissando.
>I've tried to construct an \override that looks like
>this:
>
>\time 3/4
>f16 r f r f r8. r16 f r8
>\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment =
>#3.0
>\time 2/4
>r16 e8.\glissando f16 r f r
>r f8. r16 f r f
>\revert Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment
>
>This doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm
>wondering what I'm doing wrong.
>Thanks in advance,
>Vivian.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: \override Score.SpacingSpanner

Trevor Bača-2
On 3/8/06, Vivian Barty-Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to adjust spacing to allow a glissando line
> to be seen more obviously. I want to adjust the
> spacing rule but only for the bar with the glissando.
> I've tried to construct an \override that looks like
> this:
>
> \time 3/4
> f16 r f r f r8. r16 f r8
> \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment =
> #3.0
> \time 2/4
> r16 e8.\glissando f16 r f r
> r f8. r16 f r f
> \revert Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment
>
> This doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm
> wondering what I'm doing wrong.
> Thanks in advance,
I take the note at the bottom of 10.5.6 (about spacing being
determined on a scorewide basis) to mean that the SpacingSpanner can
only be overriden at the beginning of a Staff (or possibly Score).

Spacing "sections" is a sponsorable feature at LilyPond Software
Design, near the bottom of
http://lilypond-design.com/sponsor/open-features.html, one that I've
been interested in for a time, too.

--
Trevor Bača

Re: \override Score.SpacingSpanner

Graham Percival-2

On 8-Mar-06, at 11:35 AM, Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:

> I'm trying to adjust spacing to allow a glissando line
> to be seen more obviously. I want to adjust the
> spacing rule but only for the bar with the glissando.
> I've tried to construct an \override that looks like
> this:

Other people have commented on why the method didn't work.  I use this
to improve visibilty:

\layout{
   \context { \Voice
     \override Glissando #'thickness = #3
     \override Glissando #'gap = #0.1
     \override Glissando #'breakable = ##f

A while ago, I wondered about having a Glissando #'minimum-limit, just
like
\override Staff.Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5
but a more general spacing method would be better.