optimizing for speed vs. quality

Graham Percival-2
Does anybody know how to turn on (or turn off) various settings?  I'm
trying to populate:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Avoiding-tweaks-with-slower-processing

Although those docs are aimed at optimizing for quality, I'm also
interested in listing optimizations for speed.  Joe, is it possible to
(easily) turn off the vertical skylining, or any other improvements
you've made?

(not that I don't adore the changes you've made; I'm just trying to
separate the `notes/rhythms' phase from the `make it beautiful' phase.  :)

Re: optimizing for speed vs. quality

Joe Neeman-2
On 1/21/07, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anybody know how to turn on (or turn off) various settings?  I'm
trying to populate:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Avoiding-tweaks-with-slower-processing

Although those docs are aimed at optimizing for quality, I'm also
interested in listing optimizations for speed.  Joe, is it possible to
(easily) turn off the vertical skylining, or any other improvements
you've made?

It's not easy to turn off the whole thing, but doing
\override TextScript #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
\override DynamicLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
\override DynamicText #'outside-staff-priority = ##f

should take care of most grobs. I doubt it will give a measurable speed boost, though.

If you want a speed increase at the cost of worse output, there is probably a decent gain to be made by changing the page and line breaking algorithms. That would require a reasonable amount of coding, though, and there are other things I want to do first. Feel free to add a feature request if you think it's important.

Joe Neeman wrote:
> \override TextScript #'outside-staff-priority = ##f

You're right, it doesn't change much.

> If you want a speed increase at the cost of worse output, there is probably
> a decent gain to be made by changing the page and line breaking algorithms.
> That would require a reasonable amount of coding, though, and there are
> other things I want to do first. Feel free to add a feature request if you
> think it's important.

No, it's not important.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
anything trivial.  It certainly isn't worth doing any extra coding!  :)