openLilyLib on Windows 10

Daniel Sanmartín Nieto
Hello! I come from the GNU LilyPond Facebook group, where I was helped by Mr. Liska, but we couldn't find a solution, so he recommended me to ask in this mailing list. My problem is that I cannot install openLilyLib on Windows 10.

This is the "background":

–I'm trying to install the openLilyLib core package (oll-core) on a Windows 10 computer running LilyPond 2.19.63 and Frescobaldi 3.0.1.

–I followed these steps:
    +I downloaded the oll-core package zip file from git.
    +I unzipped it.
    +I created a folder named "openLilyLib" on my hard disk, in which I copied the oll-core-master folder.
    +I added this folder (C:\openLilyLib\oll-core-master) to the LilyPond's path through the "Preferences" dialog in Frescobaldi.

But when I try to compile something like this:

    \version "2.19.63"
    \include "oll-core-master/package.ily"
    \relative c'' {c4 d e f}

LilyPond returns a "code 1" error. This is the (end of the) output:

    \include
    "oll-core/package.ily"

    Interpreting music...
    Preprocessing graphical objects...
    Finding the ideal number of pages...
    Fitting music on 1 page...
    Drawing systems...
    Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-QDpLwK'...
    Converting to `document.pdf'...
    Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-QDpLwK'...
    fatal error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\Hp\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\frescobaldi-fidddenn\\tmpx1ledftl\\document.ly"
    Exited with return code 1.

Mr. Liska thinked that it could be an issue with the handling of slashes on Windows, so I tried to include several files on other LilyPond documents, testing the include path with both back and forward slashes (and absolute and relative paths), and LilyPond compiled these files without problem.

Could it be an issue with the way that different OS's handle paths? Anybody has installed openLilyLib on Windows? Any idea?

Thank you.

Re: openLilyLib on Windows 10

Urs Liska

I will give some more comments to this. I must say I'm at a loss here, although I'm pretty sure the problem is neither in the package itself nor in the way Daniel has "installed" them. I suspect that it's either an OS thing or some peculiarity of downloading ZIP files from Github.

Am 14.07.2017 um 23:57 schrieb Daniel Sanmartín Nieto:
Hello! I come from the GNU LilyPond Facebook group, where I was helped by Mr. Liska, but we couldn't find a solution, so he recommended me to ask in this mailing list. My problem is that I cannot install openLilyLib on Windows 10.

This is the "background":

–I'm trying to install the openLilyLib core package (oll-core) on a Windows 10 computer running LilyPond 2.19.63 and Frescobaldi 3.0.1.

–I followed these steps:
    +I downloaded the oll-core package zip file from git.
    +I unzipped it.
    +I created a folder named "openLilyLib" on my hard disk, in which I copied the oll-core-master folder.
    +I added this folder (C:\openLilyLib\oll-core-master) to the LilyPond's path through the "Preferences" dialog in Frescobaldi.

Maybe *now* I'm seeing the problem!
Actually your description would be wrong as it is "C:\openLilyLib" which has to be in the include path.
But from the Frescobaldi screenshot you posted on FB I know that you actually *have* this.

What I did not know until now is that Github renames the root directory in the ZIP file, adding the branch name to it. So instead of "oll-core" (which is the name of the repository) there is a folder "oll-core-master" in the ZIP file one gets as download.

So I *think* the situation on your computer is as follows:
* There is a directory C:\openLilyLib on your disk
* This directory C:\openLilyLib is added to LilyPond's path through Frescobaldi
* You include "oll-core/package.ily"
* LilyPond looks for this by appending it to all include paths:
  => it looks for C:\openLilyLib\oll-core\package.ily
* But the file actually is in C:\openLilyLib\oll-core-master\package.ily

But when I try to compile something like this:

    \version "2.19.63"
    \include "oll-core-master/package.ily"
    \relative c'' {c4 d e f}

LilyPond returns a "code 1" error. This is the (end of the) output:

    \include
    "oll-core/package.ily"

    Interpreting music...
    Preprocessing graphical objects...
    Finding the ideal number of pages...
    Fitting music on 1 page...
    Drawing systems...
    Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-QDpLwK'...
    Converting to `document.pdf'...
    Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-QDpLwK'...
    fatal error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\Hp\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\frescobaldi-fidddenn\\tmpx1ledftl\\document.ly"
    Exited with return code 1.

Well, you should not post the *end* of the log but rather the beginning, where it says "error: cannot find file".

In this post you try to include oll-core-master/package.ily which *looks* right. I assume that when you do this it actually finds the file. But as openLilyLib relies on the directory structure it will then probably choke on later includes.

So please check again, after renaming the oll-core-master directory to oll-core (and do the same with any other packages you may have downloaded).

If this is the solution then it's something I should definitely document. I wasn't aware of that (because I had never downloaded a ZIP from Github before, sorry.

HTH
Urs

Mr. Liska thinked that it could be an issue with the handling of slashes on Windows, so I tried to include several files on other LilyPond documents, testing the include path with both back and forward slashes (and absolute and relative paths), and LilyPond compiled these files without problem.

Could it be an issue with the way that different OS's handle paths? Anybody has installed openLilyLib on Windows? Any idea?

Thank you.

https://openlilylib.org
http://lilypondblog.org

Re: openLilyLib on Windows 10

Karlin High 1
I've never used OpenLilyLib before, and am not sure what's available there or how to use it. But I have Windows 7 64-bit SP1 running LilyPond 2.19.62 and tried to replicate the error. Not using Frescobaldi for this test. I dowloaded oll-core-master from github and have it like this:

C:\oll\oll-core-master\ has package.ily and friends
C:\oll\olltest.ly has the test code from the OP, with version number changed to match mine

First run produced a PDF, and also this log:
% BEGIN LOG %
# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `C:/oll/olltest.ly'
Parsing...
<string>:1:10: error: cannot find file: `oll-core/internal/os-path.ily'
(search path: `C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/svg/;C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/type1/;C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/;C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/scm;C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ps;C:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly;')
\include
         "oll-core/internal/os-path.ily"
C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-uxphpA'...
Converting to `/oll/olltest.pdf'...
Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-uxphpA'...
fatal error: failed files: "C:\\oll\\olltest.ly"
% END LOG %
Hmm... something wants a folder oll-core instead of oll-core-master? No problem, I made a copy of the folder and renamed it accordingly. Afterwards I get this:
% BEGIN LOG %
# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `C:/oll/olltest.ly'
Parsing...
C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-P396xA'...
Converting to `/oll/olltest.pdf'...
Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-P396xA'...
fatal error: failed files: "C:\\oll\\olltest.ly"
% END LOG %
But it still produced a good-looking PDF, pessimistic error message notwithstanding.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Still using Hotmail/Outlook, *sometimes* messages make it to the list.

Am 15.07.2017 um 01:22 schrieb Karlin High:
[...]

There's one thing missing in your set-up, and it is more or less by accident that you got over the first step.
You should place your test file anywhere else because in your set-up LilyPond found oll-core/package.ily only because you accidentally placed it at the correct relative position.

The other (crucial) thing is that you have to add C:\oll to LilyPond's include path, which from the command line you'd do with the command line option -I "C:\oll".

Urs

On 7/14/2017 7:02 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
> There's one thing missing in your set-up, and it is more or less by
> accident that you got over the first step.
> You should place your test file anywhere else because in your set-up
> LilyPond found oll-core/package.ily only because you accidentally
> placed it at the correct relative position.

No accident, that was on purpose. I figured it would need "includes,"
and was too lazy to figure out exactly where and how, so having the same
relative file path seemed most likely to work.

> The other (crucial) thing is that you have to add C:\oll to LilyPond's
> include path, which from the command line you'd do with the command
> line option -I "C:\oll".
>
> Urs

Okay, I'll try again. I moved the olltest.ly file to
C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest and re-ran the experiment from
the command line, instead of using right-click, generate PDF.

    C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
    GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
    Processing `olltest.ly'
    Parsing...
    <string>:1:10: error: cannot find file: `oll-core/internal/os-path.ily'
    (search path: `C:/Program Files
    (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/
    svg/;C:/Program Files
    (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/type1/;C:/
    Program Files
    (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/;C:/Program Fi
    les (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/scm;C:/Program Files
    (x86)/LilyPon
    d/usr/share/lilypond/current/ps;C:/Program Files
    (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypo
    nd/current/ly;C:\oll\;')
    \include
              "oll-core/internal/os-path.ily"
    C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an
    error for the
    expression beginning here
    #
      (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
    Unbound variable: this-parent
    Interpreting music...
    Preprocessing graphical objects...
    Finding the ideal number of pages...
    Fitting music on 1 page...
    Drawing systems...
    Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-z9xd5r'...
    Converting to `olltest.pdf'...
    Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-z9xd5r'...
    fatal error: failed files: "olltest.ly"

And re-trying after making a copy of C:\oll\oll-core-master\ as
C:\oll\oll-core\ had this result:

    C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
    GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
    Processing `olltest.ly'
    Parsing...
    C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an
    error for the
    expression beginning here
    #
      (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
    Value out of range 0 to 4294967295: -1
    Interpreting music...
    Preprocessing graphical objects...
    Finding the ideal number of pages...
    Fitting music on 1 page...
    Drawing systems...
    Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-9QlQpb'...
    Converting to `olltest.pdf'...
    Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-9QlQpb'...
    fatal error: failed files: "olltest.ly"

Would a -V debug log be helpful?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Am 15.07.2017 um 04:03 schrieb Karlin High:
> On 7/14/2017 7:02 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
>> There's one thing missing in your set-up, and it is more or less by
>> accident that you got over the first step.
>> You should place your test file anywhere else because in your set-up
>> LilyPond found oll-core/package.ily only because you accidentally
>> placed it at the correct relative position.
> No accident, that was on purpose. I figured it would need "includes,"
> and was too lazy to figure out exactly where and how, so having the same
> relative file path seemed most likely to work.

OK.

>> The other (crucial) thing is that you have to add C:\oll to LilyPond's
>> include path, which from the command line you'd do with the command
>> line option -I "C:\oll".
>>
>> Urs
> Okay, I'll try again. I moved the olltest.ly file to
> C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest and re-ran the experiment from
> the command line, instead of using right-click, generate PDF.
>
>     C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
>     GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
>     Processing `olltest.ly'
>     Parsing...
>     <string>:1:10: error: cannot find file: `oll-core/internal/os-path.ily'

>     fatal error: failed files: "olltest.ly"

This shows that the first include of package.ily worked because this
include of internal/os-path.ily is done from within that file.

> And re-trying after making a copy of C:\oll\oll-core-master\ as
> C:\oll\oll-core\ had this result:

However, there's something fishy about your different log outputs. Can
it be that
a)
you now have *both* oll-core and oll-core-master directories withing C:\oll
and b)
olltest.ly has the line
\include "oll-core-master/package.ily" in it?

because:

>     C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
>     GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
>     Processing `olltest.ly'
>     Parsing...
>     C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an

This indicates that the file C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily has
successfully been found - but we don't want that at all.

So if my assessment is correct you should fix the include in olltest.ly
and rerun.

Thanks for taking the time narrowing this issue down.

Urs

https://openlilylib.org
http://lilypondblog.org

On 7/15/2017 2:38 AM, Urs Liska wrote:
> Can
> it be that
> a)
> you now have*both*  oll-core and oll-core-master directories withing C:\oll

Yes, that is how I had it. The zip folder from Github produced
oll-core-master, and I wasn't aware it needed renaming to just oll-core.

> and b)
> olltest.ly has the line
> \include "oll-core-master/package.ily" in it?
>
> because:
>
>>      C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
>>      GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
>>      Processing `olltest.ly'
>>      Parsing...
>>      C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an
> This indicates that the file C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily has
> successfully been found - but we don't want that at all.
>
> So if my assessment is correct you should fix the include in olltest.ly
> and rerun.
>
> Thanks for taking the time narrowing this issue down.
>
> Urs
Rename and cleanup done; now everything from Gituhub is in
C:\oll\oll-core\ and I'm compiling this code...

    % File is at C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest\olltest.ly
    \version "2.19.62"
    \include "oll-core/package.ily"
    \relative c'' {c4 d e f}

...and it looks like this:

    C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
    GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
    Processing `olltest.ly'
    Parsing...
    C:/oll/oll-core/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for
    the express
    ion beginning here
    #
      (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
    Value out of range 0 to 4294967295: -1
    Interpreting music...
    Preprocessing graphical objects...
    Finding the ideal number of pages...
    Fitting music on 1 page...
    Drawing systems...
    Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-eg2Ldd'...
    Converting to `olltest.pdf'...
    Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-eg2Ldd'...
    fatal error: failed files: "olltest.ly"

I still get a good PDF file from that. But if instead I do... lilypond
-V -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly ...I get the attached log file, and no PDF.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

debuglog.txt (20K) Download Attachment

Am 15.07.2017 um 23:02 schrieb Karlin High:
> On 7/15/2017 2:38 AM, Urs Liska wrote:
>> Can
>> it be that
>> a)
>> you now have*both*  oll-core and oll-core-master directories withing C:\oll
> Yes, that is how I had it. The zip folder from Github produced
> oll-core-master, and I wasn't aware it needed renaming to just oll-core.

Well, I hadn't been aware of this problem, too. So I'll have to properly
document this ASAP.

>> and b)
>> olltest.ly has the line
>> \include "oll-core-master/package.ily" in it?
>>
>> because:
>>
>>>      C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
>>>      GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
>>>      Processing `olltest.ly'
>>>      Parsing...
>>>      C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an
>> This indicates that the file C:/oll/oll-core-master/package.ily has
>> successfully been found - but we don't want that at all.
>>
>> So if my assessment is correct you should fix the include in olltest.ly
>> and rerun.
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time narrowing this issue down.
>>
>> Urs
> Rename and cleanup done; now everything from Gituhub is in
> C:\oll\oll-core\ and I'm compiling this code...
>
>     % File is at C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest\olltest.ly
>     \version "2.19.62"
>     \include "oll-core/package.ily"
>     \relative c'' {c4 d e f}
>
> ...and it looks like this:
>
>     C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\olltest>lilypond -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly
>     GNU LilyPond 2.19.62
>     Processing `olltest.ly'
>     Parsing...
>     C:/oll/oll-core/package.ily:57:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for
>     the express
>     ion beginning here
>     #
>       (if (not (defined? 'openlilylib-root))
>     Value out of range 0 to 4294967295: -1
>     Interpreting music...
>     Preprocessing graphical objects...
>     Finding the ideal number of pages...
>     Fitting music on 1 page...
>     Drawing systems...
>     Layout output to `./tmp-lilypond-eg2Ldd'...
>     Converting to `olltest.pdf'...
>     Deleting `./tmp-lilypond-eg2Ldd'...
>     fatal error: failed files: "olltest.ly"
>
> I still get a good PDF file from that.

This is not surprising. Loading of oll-core fails, but the music you
have entered does not in any way depend on that.

> But if instead I do... lilypond
> -V -I C:\oll\ olltest.ly ...I get the attached log file, and no PDF.

Now this is helpful and points me to the correct issue - which is indeed
an issue with oll-core. Actually this had been discussed arleady a few
months ago, but I don't recall if we came to a conclusion then.
As it stands oll-core does not work properly when the main LilyPond file
is specified as a relative path from the same directory. At some point
oll-core splits the path to the input file into its segments and for
some reason accesses the second-to-last element of this path (= the
directory in which the compiled .ly file resides). However, if you do
"lilypond olltest.ly" this path only has *one* element: the filename itself.

I would consider this a bug in oll-core, but as a workaround you should
always invoke the .ly files with their absolute path or with a relative
path that contains at least one directory.

Best
Urs

https://openlilylib.org
http://lilypondblog.org

On 7/15/2017 5:58 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

> Now this is helpful and points me to the correct issue - which is indeed
> an issue with oll-core. Actually this had been discussed arleady a few
> months ago, but I don't recall if we came to a conclusion then.
> As it stands oll-core does not work properly when the main LilyPond file
> is specified as a relative path from the same directory. At some point
> oll-core splits the path to the input file into its segments and for
> some reason accesses the second-to-last element of this path (= the
> directory in which the compiled .ly file resides). However, if you do
> "lilypond olltest.ly" this path only has*one*  element: the filename itself.
>
> I would consider this a bug in oll-core, but as a workaround you should
> always invoke the .ly files with their absolute path or with a relative
> path that contains at least one directory.
>
> Best
> Urs
Unfortunately, entering full absolute files paths still gives errors
here. Two more log files attached, one with absolute path to LY file,
and another with full path to lilypond.exe as well.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

debuglog-full-path-all.txt (20K) Download Attachment
debuglog-full-path-ly.txt (21K) Download Attachment

Re: openLilyLib on Windows 10

Urs Liska
Hi Karlin,

thank you for this work.

I think I have to install LilyPond on a Windows machine to do some more detailed tests that I can't direct over email.

I'm pretty sure you didn't do anything wrong, so there must be some Windows issue in the code of oll-core.

Urs

Am 16. Juli 2017 02:20:01 MESZ schrieb Karlin High <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi Urs and Karlin,

I am really sorry for the late reply but I had some issues with the internet connection on my vacation spot. I just wanted to thank you both for the work. I took the same steps that Karlin. At first I tried with both "oll-core" and "oll-core-master" folder names because I didn't know the Github's renaming thing, but I obtained the same error messages that Karlin. So thank you for your help, I hope one day we will find a solution.

Regards,
Daniel