obstacles to installation

Devon Sean McCullough
These instructions lead nowhere, making it hard to install:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.html
        404 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/topdocs/web#download

        404 http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs

                Peace
                        --Devon

Re: obstacles to installation

James Lowe-3
Hello Devon.

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:31:23 -0400, Devon Sean McCullough <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's not really much information for me to be of any help to you.

However if all you want is a download (binary)

Try here:

http://lilypond.org/download.html

The link you gave:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.html

Works for me but this is really if you want to compile the source.

If you *do* want to do that and are having problems compiling or getting source, then give us some more details and we'll do what we can to help.

James

Re: obstacles to installation

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno sab 6 ott 2018 alle 21:12, James Lowe <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Hello Devon.
>
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:31:23 -0400, Devon Sean McCullough
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  These instructions lead nowhere, making it hard to install:
>>
>>  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.html
>>
>> 404 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/topdocs/web#download

>> 404 http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs
>>
>>   Peace
>>   --Devon
>
> That's not really much information for me to be of any help to you.

James, 404 is page not found.
In fact if you go to the first link and click on Download under 1.1
paragraph, you'll get to the second link, which is not found.

BTW, if you google "lilypond install", that is the second page listed
after downloads page.

The file Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.texi includes
Documentation/included/compile.itexi, where you can see:

    Pre-compiled binaries are available on the @rweb{Download} page.

so the @rweb{Download} is expanding to web#download relative to current
directory (Documentation/topdocs). I don't know why it's not using the
correct path...

$ git grep "@*{Download}"
Documentation/included/compile.itexi:31:are available on the
@rweb{Download} page.
Documentation/web/news-old.itexi:3199:@ref{Download}.

Re: obstacles to installation

m.tarenskeen@zonnet.nl

> BTW, if you google "lilypond install", that is the second page listed after
> downloads page.

Let me remind you that Google might not give identical search results to
different persons/computers even when they type the exacts same search
string. If I type "Lilypond" I get stuff related to our beloved engraving
software. Google "knows" I am a musician. Someone else will probably first
find something like http://www.lilypond.nl which is about ... lilyponds
and swimmingpools.
:-)

MT