notes sharing stems

James Wilkinson
\version 2.13.34

I've got three percussion voices sharing a staff. When I made the
bottom two voices be \voiceTwo and \voiceFour, I got downward stems,
but each note had its own stem. Then I tried making them both be
\voiceTwo. That gave me the printed output that I wanted: when notes
coincide, they share a stem. However, I got lots of "ignoring too
many colliding note columns" warnings.

Warnings make me nervous. I'm considering putting both those parts in
a single voice and writing chords when notes coincide.

Anybody have a better suggestion?

thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
[hidden email]        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be
"profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I
could care less.

Re: notes sharing stems

Xavier Scheuer
On 1 October 2010 00:27, James Wilkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> \version 2.13.34
>
> I've got three percussion voices sharing a staff. When I made the bottom two
> voices be \voiceTwo and \voiceFour, I got downward stems, but each note had
> its own stem. Then I tried making them both be \voiceTwo. That gave me the
> printed output that I wanted: when notes coincide, they share a stem.
> However, I got lots of "ignoring too many colliding note columns" warnings.
>
> Warnings make me nervous. I'm considering putting both those parts in a
> single voice and writing chords when notes coincide.
>
> Anybody have a better suggestion?

  \partcombine  maybe?
NR 1.5.2 Multiple voices > Automatic part combining
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Multiple-voices.html#Automatic-part-combining

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: notes sharing stems

Phil Holmes
> I've got three percussion voices sharing a staff. When I made the bottom
> two voices be \voiceTwo and \voiceFour, I got downward stems, but each
> note had its own stem. Then I tried making them both be \voiceTwo. That
> gave me the printed output that I wanted: when notes coincide, they share
> a stem. However, I got lots of "ignoring too many colliding note columns"
> warnings.
>
> Warnings make me nervous. I'm considering putting both those parts in a
> single voice and writing chords when notes coincide.
>
> Anybody have a better suggestion?
>
> thanks

You can turn off the warning with

\override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t

Bear in mind that this also turns off the "avoid collisions" calculations,
so the layout _may_ be different.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: notes sharing stems

Reinhold Kainhofer
Am Freitag 01 Oktober 2010, um 11:26:56 schrieb Xavier Scheuer:

> On 1 October 2010 00:27, James Wilkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > \version 2.13.34
> >
> > I've got three percussion voices sharing a staff. When I made the bottom
> > two voices be \voiceTwo and \voiceFour, I got downward stems, but each
> > note had its own stem. Then I tried making them both be \voiceTwo. That
> > gave me the printed output that I wanted: when notes coincide, they
> > share a stem. However, I got lots of "ignoring too many colliding note
> > columns" warnings.
> >
> > Warnings make me nervous. I'm considering putting both those parts in a
> > single voice and writing chords when notes coincide.
> >
> > Anybody have a better suggestion?
>
>   \partcombine  maybe?
No, that won't work, because james said he needs three percussion voices on
that staff. Part-combine only works with exactly two voices.
Also, Part-combine in versions prior to 2.13.35 often chose a suboptimal
combination (i.e. even for a single note it indicated "Solo" or "a2") with no
way to override such a bad decision. Some days ago, I finally committed a patch
that adds \partcombineApart, \partcombineChords, etc. to override the
decisions of the part-combiner. It will takea while, of course, until it will
be released in a stable version (i.e. it will be in 2.14, but not in 2.12.x).

Cheers,
Reinhold