new key signatures

Cordilow
Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite scale of mine: B C D# E F G# A B.
In other words, it would have a sharp sign for the D and G alone (and this without showing accidentals for the sharps).

Also, I want to be able to make key signatures with quarter tones in them.  Is this possible?

Re: new key signatures

Mats Bengtsson-4
If you read in the manual about key signatures, it says:

"This command sets the context property Staff.keySignature.
Non-standard key signatures can be specified by setting this property
directly."

which shows that it is possible. Unfortunately you have to look
elsewhere to find more documentation and examples. What are the best
places to look? I would first try the "Tips and Tricks" and
"Regression Tests" documents, and you are lucky, there is a nice
example called "key-signature-scordatura.ly" in the Regression Tests
document that shows how to do it!

   /Mats

Quoting cordilow <[hidden email]>:

> Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able
> to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite
> scale of mine: B C D# E F G# A B.
> In other words, it would have a sharp sign for the D and G alone (and this
> without showing accidentals for the sharps).
>
> Also, I want to be able to make key signatures with quarter tones in them.
> Is this possible?

Re: new key signatures

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
I'll bet you can (and if not is it sponsor-able?) but in
2.6.x the first manual says
"This command (\key pitch type) set the context property
Staff.keySignature. Non standard key signatures can be
specified by setting the property directly."

However a later version of the manual leaves out the
last sentence and the first manual doesn't seem to have
the information about how to set 'the property directly'.

So I'm confused too.  But I was working with some Bartok
and the non-standard key signature would have been handy.
Jay

cordilow wrote:

> Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able
> to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite
> scale of mine: B C D# E F G# A B.
> In other words, it would have a sharp sign for the D and G alone (and this
> without showing accidentals for the sharps).
>
> Also, I want to be able to make key signatures with quarter tones in them.
> Is this possible?

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

Re: new key signatures

Gilles Sadowski

> Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able
> to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite
> [...]
> Is this possible?

Yes, see:

  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/input/regression/lily-1122588603.ly

With (cf. example in the above page), if IRC:

    \set Staff.keySignature = #'(((1 .  2) . 1) ((0 . 3) . -1))

                                   ^    ^    ^
                                   |    |    |
                                 octave |    |
                                       note  |
                                           offset in units of quarter-tone

Best,
Gilles

Re: new key signatures

Cordilow
Thanks for the information!  I have another related
question, now, though.

I've found that the following code will get the key
signature to look right:
\new Staff
{
        \set Staff.keySignature = #'( ((1 . 4) . 2)   ((1 .
1) . 2)  )
        b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
        c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
}

However, when I define a key signature, the
sharps/flats don't apply for the note
in every octave--just the octave I specify.  Is there a
way to make it apply to all
octaves without having loads of symbols on the key
signature?
Notice that in the above code the key signature only
seems to apply to dis'' and gis'',
and not dis' and gis'.

Here's a definition of how this seems to work:
\set Staff.keySignature = #'( ( (a . b)  c) )
a = Octave
b = Vertical position / Note value
c values:
        1: half sharp
        2: sharp
        -1: half flat
        -2: flat
Where a = 1
        if b = 2, the note is e''
        if b = 1, the note is d''
        if b = 0, the note is c'', etc.

I'm wondering if perhaps there's a value for 'a' that
will cover all octaves, and put the
sharp/flat symbols in the regular octave-positions.

Gilles wrote:

>> Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able
>> to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite
>> [...]
>> Is this possible?
>
> Yes, see:
>
>   http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/input/regression/lily-1122588603.ly
>
> With (cf. example in the above page), if IRC:
>
>     \set Staff.keySignature = #'(((1 .  2) . 1) ((0 . 3) . -1))
>
>                                    ^    ^    ^
>                                    |    |    |
>                                  octave |    |
>                                        note  |
>                                            offset in units of quarter-tone
>
> Best,
> Gilles

Re: new key signatures

Gilles Sadowski

> [...] when I define a key signature, the
> sharps/flats don't apply for the note
> in every octave--just the octave I specify.  Is there a
> way to make it apply to all
> octaves without having loads of symbols on the key
> signature?

There is an alternative format for defining the signature,
shown in this variation of your example:

 \new Staff {
   \set Staff.keySignature = #'( ((1 . 4) . 2)   ((1 . 1) . 2)  )
   b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
   c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
   \set Staff.keySignature = #'( (4 . 2)   (1 . 2)  )
   b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
   c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
 }

You can read all the settings there:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/Key_005fengraver.html#Key_005fengraver

Best,
Gilles

Re: new key signatures

Cordilow
Thanks; it works wonders.

Now that I know how to do all that, I'm wondering, can
you notes three fourths
of the way flat or sharp?  Let's say C three fourths
sharp would be like
cis minus half of an eh, if that makes any sense.  In
other words, can we have
eighth-tones?  Like C plus three eighth steps, I mean.
  And . . . can you make key
signatures for those?  I have an Indian whistle that
seems to be in the key of
E three fourths flat mixolydian, or nigh unto it.  It
would be interesting to be
able to replicate these sounds on a midi, and to
represent them on sheet music.

Thanks!

Gilles wrote:

>> [...] when I define a key signature, the
>> sharps/flats don't apply for the note
>> in every octave--just the octave I specify.  Is there a
>> way to make it apply to all
>> octaves without having loads of symbols on the key
>> signature?
>
> There is an alternative format for defining the signature,
> shown in this variation of your example:
>
>  \new Staff {
>    \set Staff.keySignature = #'( ((1 . 4) . 2)   ((1 . 1) . 2)  )
>    b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
>    c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
>    \set Staff.keySignature = #'( (4 . 2)   (1 . 2)  )
>    b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
>    c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
>  }
>
> You can read all the settings there:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/Key_005fengraver.html#Key_005fengraver
>

> Best,
> Gilles

Re: new key signatures

Gilles Sadowski

> [...]  In
> other words, can we have
> eighth-tones?

I don't think that it is currently possible.

Then, you might ask it to become a sponsored feature.

And, if so, maybe a 1/12 tone base might be a better choice:
  http://www.mindspring.com/~tmook/micro.html

Regards,
Gilles